Your favorite Mexican singers

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, May 3, 2010.

1. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    You sure can, Pocodinero. It was real tragedy what happened to her. As a Tejana she was better known to us, and very popular there- perhaps here, as well.

Last edited: May 4, 2010
  2. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    So true....

Following CC's instructions, I watched the video of Molotov's "Frijolero". I can see why this group would amuse you! They made me laugh, too, with that one.

Last edited: May 4, 2010
  3. CancunGringa

CancunGringa Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Gbchayctca - how could I forget Jaguares/Caifanes? I'm putting them at a tie for #1. Fun fact: Founder/Lead Singer Saul Hernandez now lives in Playa del Carmen and owns the restaurant/bar Kitxen.

Another fun/surprising fact: Molotov drummer Randy Ebright, the only non-Mexican member of the band, is from Michigan.

4. gbchayctca

gbchayctca Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I actually saw Saul outside his restaurant once! It was tough to convince my husband that he didn't need to approach him and introduce himself.

Michigan? Totally surprising!

5. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    That's right, Gringation, that's good stuff! Full of energy and fun.

Where I'm from in the states, you could blast it in the car and not a head would turn....

In spite of my dabbling, today, with Molotov, I've spent most of the day listening to Banda and other staples of my musical diet. But, I'll continue to try the others, in the interests of expanding my horizons, and out of courtesy to the ladies who have gone to the trouble to try to instill a little culture, of a different sort, in me.

I love how "German" banda sounds (an incomprehensible comment, until you understand that Texas was settled to a considerable degree by beer drinking Germans: we don't speak German, but we still drink beer in Brauhausen, where you may hear something that sounds a lot like Banda), and I understand Banda was brought first to Mazatlan, by German immigrants, where it was adopted to local styles.

By the way ladies, if you're feeling a little low, put a little of our music on: it'll get your feet to dancin'. I'm currently listening to Jenni Rivera singing, "Ya lo se": makes you wanna get up and do a "two step".

Last edited: May 5, 2010
  6. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've found that I can only do really difficult web design work (picky coding stuff and logic stuff) if I'm listening to a few types of music, often without lyrics. Several of the stations at Soma FM fit the bill for me including Groove Salad, Doomed, Lush and Secret Agent.

V would probably like their Boot Liquor station as it's advertised as being "for cowpokes" (it's country music). Their Mission Control station is cool because they mix ambient music in with Mission Control audio when ever NASA launches the space shuttle. Well, I say it's cool, but it puts me to sleep every time.
    SomaFM: Listener Supported, Commercial Free Internet Radio

If I'm doing graphic design, though, I can listen to any kind of music, including punk or heavy metal or whatever. But unless I'm doing graphic design that music will distract me from my work. It must have something to do with needing different areas of the brain for different kinds of work.

7. pocodinero

pocodinero Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Santana - one of the greatest guitar players ever.

8. gbchayctca

gbchayctca Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Fernando Delgadillo is another favorite.

9. Cheyennne

Cheyennne Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am a huge fan of latin reggae. Gondwana, Ganja, Manu Chao, Los Cafres. If you enjoy reggae you cant go wrong with Gondwana!

10. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Reggae

You ladies are really challenging me to expand my musical horizons. I can enjoy almost any kind of music, and reggae fits in there, somewhere, too. But, I especially value a quality singing voice, and some songs allow a voice to be on display more than others. For Vicente Fernandez, "El Ultimo Beso" does it for me; for Pepe Aguilar, "Perdoneme". For you ladies with any sort of romantic inclinations, give a listen and see if you don't agree.... (Anyway, I won't hold it against you, if you come back with a negative report!)

First, Pepe.

Now, Vicente.

Vicente is remarkable for having this much voice left at 70!

In his video, you'll have to ignore a little "horsing around": the attractive young girl in the video is undoubtedly one of his many grand daughters.

The ranch is probably his own, as well as the fancy horse, as he is rich, rich, rich, after many decades of a highly successful singing career.

&feature=related

The way both of these videos are set up, they along you to select other of the hits of each of these men, at the end of each song, if you want to hear more.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice