Your favorite Mexican singers

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, May 3, 2010.

1. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I know, there's no accounting for taste, but my favorites are Vicente Fernandez and Pepe Aguilar.

And, yours?

2. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  3. Gringation

Gringation Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I love the band Intocables. And Victor Garcia! (I'm such a nerd.)

4. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Ranchero/Norteno

I can see I need to branch out, a little more, Jim and Gringation: I end up listening mainly to Ranchero and Norteno style while working, and my wife is out of the apt (she won't allow it, in her presence!).

I admire the two I mentioned in part for the quality of their voices. Fernandez has a voice approaching operatic quality, while Aguilar, who also has a good voice, has mastered a smoothness that is impressive....

5. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm voting with your wife :icon_smile:.

6. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Seriously, these are two things I detest about Mexico. My skin crawls when I hear ranchero music.

My favorite Mexican music is...wait for it...wait...wait...DISCO! Who knew that disco wasn't dead? The Mexicans knew! Just kidding.

But seriously my favorite Mexican band is Molotov. And I like lots of other rock bands in Mexico, especially when they are radicalized politically and don't hold their punches. To me the most interesting thing about Mexico musically is the edgy urban underbelly of the left, that's where Mexico's music is the most alive and the most forward looking, in my mind and that's what I relate to best.

7. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm with RG, Molotov, Cafe Tacuba, and ManĂ¡ are all good for me. I actually like banda, but not for hours on end, it's fun for short periods as lon as it's not 6 am.

8. CancunMole

CancunMole Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My favorite Mexican Singer is DULCE.

http://www.dulcelacantante.com/

And, I've had the pleasure of meeting her in person on two separate occasions here in Cancun during the Summer of 2007.

9. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Well, looks like we have plenty to look forward to, if we expand in the directions suggested by RG and CC.

I tried using Ranchero/Norteno/Banda on her, in the early days, when my wife was convinced she wanted to try Mexico, playing it at our apt in Hanoi (I don't know what the neighbors thought), but it didn't work, she still wanted to come here.

I warned her cars would cruise slowly by, this music blaring; and, if any windows were open in the house, this sound would be drifting in at all times of the day, but she'd have none of it- she still wanted to come to Mexico so, here we are!

I think the reason I like the stuff is early childhood imprinting, growing up in Texas: this was music, for me. Soy norteno.

Last edited: May 4, 2010
  10. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think there's a support group for that.

My father was a musician and music critic. He grew up on country music, but he was cured of it by the Beatles. The only thing my father ever MADE me do was to listen to Pink Floyd's The Wall through headphones (he had an advance copy of it, before the artwork was done).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice