"You didnt build that"

Discussion in 'Free For All' started by Steve, Aug 18, 2012.

1. twinimini

twinimini I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +63 / 0

V, there is only one sure way to fail......that is to never try!

2. slore19

slore19 Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    There were a lot of words to your response, but none actually responded to the question I asked. And after re-reading my statement, I don't think I said anyone wanted to END welfare. I said anti-welfare, meaning against.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't welfare regulations vary state to state? If that is so, how is it PRESIDENT Obama's fault that the system is being exploited?

I'm very much against paying for folks that work the system by the way.

3. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    We are far from "wealthy", if we were we probably would give more away. We live a comfortable life and earn more than most Mexicans but I wouldn't class us as rich and in a position to give money away.

This is a job that has an uncertain future and comes with no pension. In 20 years time I'm going to be 65 with one child who has just (hopefully) finished university and another who will be of university age. We dont live frivolously, any extra we have at the end of the month is invested for our retirement and kids future.

4. twinimini

Ratings:
    +63 / 0
    slore, I think part of it depends on your definition of welfare. Do you include Social Security as welfare? Do we include any program that is a form of government assistance?

The definition I would use is the broader definition of government payments or programs that have made it easier to not work. For example, free cellphones that seem to be handed out pretty much indiscriminately, also unemployment benefits that approach two years in length, and the list goes on.

Your comment that welfare, per se, is a state run function is correct. However, there are mandates that are handed down by the feds such as workfare which has been downgraded immensely under Obama.

Specifically I have clients that can't find workers to fill job openings as an example of what I object to. We are not talking minimum wage jobs, but both blue collar and white collar jobs that go unfilled because it is easier to draw the unemployment.

My concerns are based that if we keep on with massive giveaway programs that will result in the country eventually running out of money and then what will the poor do? What will any of us do if we have to have huge cuts in government programs along with huge tax increases? The problem with entitlements and giveaway programs is that no one who benefits ever wants to see them end. Unless something changes very drastically in this country those programs will come to a screeching halt.

5. slore19

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    So welfare was a well oiled machine between 2000-2008 I suppose? I keep forgetting that PRESIDENT Obama is the sole reason for all our problems. I'm sure if/when we get him out of office, everything will magically correct itself. I sure can't wait.

6. twinimini

Ratings:
    +63 / 0
    I don't believe that anyone has ever said that welfare or any federal giveaway program was a "well oiled machine" at any point in our history. Obama has been quick to jump to pile on government programs to cure all the problems and none of them have done anything other than increase the deficit. Please tell us why he should be re-elected. I haven't seen one reason the man deserves a second term.

7. slore19

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    If you don't want to vote for him, than just don't. I don't understand why people feel the need to explain/validate their reasoning. I'm not going to tell you why he should be re-elected because you have already made up your mind, so I would just be wasting both our times. Hopefully you get the person you want, and they do everything you want them to do. :aktion051:

8. twinimini

Ratings:
    +63 / 0
    slore, you are correct that I have made up my mind. However there are many who have not. My question was not meant to be condescending in any way. I look at the man's record and can see no reason to vote for him, but I would like to know the reasons why those that support Obama continue to support him.

I've always believed that forums are a good place to learn and to hear other opinions. Whether we agree or not, it is always good to hear another view. There is another regular here named Brewster. I joke with him that he is the only liberal in Western Canada.

9. slore19

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    My question to you is this: Are you just voting for Romney because you do not want to re-elect President Obama? Or do you believe he is the answer and will cure all the wrongs in our country?

10. twinimini

Ratings:
    +63 / 0

First off I don't think anyone from any political party has a cure for all that ails the US. No one has all the answers.

I won't vote for Obama because I believe he and his policies have failed in almost every regard. I see Obama as being in way over his head and who has surrounded himself with people who are corrupt and inept. His spending policies have not generated growth of anything other than the deficit. I don't see these massive spending programs as doing anything other than putting more people on the government take.

So this brings us to Romney. I see Romney as a business person who has a good administrative track record. Do I agree with everything he says or does? Of course not, but I do think he would do a better job of handling the economy and controlling the deficit.

Right now we have to get people back to work and we have to do something with this deficit. I don't see the current administration as being even remotely capable of being able to accomplish those goals. When you are spending more than you are taking in, the last thing you need to do is get another credit card. That is the route I see Obama going.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice