YAY!!!!! OBAMA WON!!!!

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by RiverGirl, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Mal

Mal Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Also, again with the credits for college tuition. what if joe and jane pay for their child's education. and get a tax credit. does that mean they get welfare?? No. it means a return on something they have paid for that probably cost them a ridiculous amount of money.

Conservative pundits have had a lot of fun providing misinformation. try reading the plan

2. El Arracadas

El Arracadas Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Great and civil conversation, time for bed and work manana, Buenas Noches!

Enjoy Cancun!

3. Mal

Mal Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Buenas Noches... :)

4. El Arracadas

El Arracadas Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Lol, I dont have any other sources my friend, everyone else is in the tank for the messiah.. sorry.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1008/14829.html

Where am I supposed to look? Huffington post? Kos Kids? Move on? etc.

5. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    More fun:
    http://www.theonion.com/content/node/89154
    My favorite is FL and OH: "Should feel lucky they got to vote at all after what happened last time"

I'm not getting into a pissing match about Barack's economic plan. Wise people with Ph.D's in economics get it wrong, so a lay person like me is not going to get it right. My solemn hope is that Obama gathers wise people around him and then listens to them. It won't be perfect. But I'm optimistic.

It is impressive to me how little information some people need in order to *think* they are informed. There are a lot of *facts* out there. But from the economics I've studied and especially from the statistics courses I've taken I know that it's very, very easy to spin facts and made data support your argument.

And to Steve - I've always voted in U.S. Presidential elections. And I feel it's important for Americans to participate in our election process regardless of where they live. Part of the reason I think we should participate is because the U.S. is a very powerful country, and it can do a lot of damage in the world when its economy goes awry (sub-prime mortgage crisis) or its military is led astray (as in Irag). So Americans have a duty to vote and to make their voices heard.

As a world leader (or as a power-monger) the U.S. needs to be responsible and careful in its use of power. The U.S. has been very lucky to have gained the power it has in the world, and it needs to be careful how it uses that power.

6. Windknot

Windknot Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I wasn't going to chime in on this thread, because as others have already alluded, "to each his own." What's more, depending on your age, you have different needs and wants from your government, and that surely played a part in your voting choice. Other Mexican-related forums are made up largely of retirement age people, but Cancun, and this forum, have a decidedly younger constituency mixed in as well.

That said, I believe this country needs to look more inward, and take care of itself first. We can no longer afford to police the world and bear the financial brunt of every international crisis, without equal participation of all countries involved. For example, France takes all the credit for being a part of the Iraq coalition, but they only deployed a force of about 750 troops, and they weren't even allowed to fight! But back to the point, our natural resources (with the exception of coal) are running out, and one day, we will no longer have those entities to trade with, and the money has to come from somewhere. Therefore, we need to put our resources into developing and securing the future of THIS country....not someone else's.

Unfortunately, I believe the Iraq war was a necessary evil. Those of you who remember the Iran oil embargo of 1972, might be able to imagine if that were multiplied ten-fold, today. And I further believe we went into Iraq over oil. Saddam just provided a convenient excuse. What is NOT necessary, is the fact that we are still there....especially since Iraq boasts a 70 billion dollar trade surplus, and yet they seem content to let the U.S. build/repair their infrastructure. Some will say that since we destroyed it in the first place, that naturally we should put it back. But I'm thinking of electricity as one example, and many of these cities never had electricity to begin with, thanks mostly to Saddam. I have my own opinions as to why we are still there, and they involve only George Bush and Dick Cheney's greed. Can you say, "Haliburton?". Enough said.

Sadly, (as Bill O'Reilly first said) "We have entered the age of entitlement.".....although I first noted this, years earlier, when in 1999, gas prices started to rise dramatically, and yet there was no revolt by the American people, as there was during the1972 oil embargo, when Americans stopped buying gas. No, this time we continued to use more gas, and the sales of big SUV's (the fad of the day) continued to climb. But America was doing "OK," bouyed by the false representations of giant companies like Enron and others. Then greed took over. I can only wonder what Ken Lay's net worth would have been, had he survived his jail term....and yet so many people suffered, and are still suffering.

Y'all know the rest, and it is up to this president to get us out of it. The people have spoken, and whereas Obama might not have been my choice, I am more than willing to give him the chance he deserves. ...And despite one poster saying that he lost a bundle during the Clinton years, (there are always going to be losers and winners) I actually felt he did a good job. Social Security was in the black, and we had a trade surplus. So one never knows.

BTW....I think Sarah Palin would have been great. First of all, it's not necessarily what you know, but who you surround yourself with, and should something have happened to McCain, then she would have inherited his advisors. Secondly, formal education (where one learns that Africa is a continent) has never been a measure of intelligence. Bill Lear, the founder of Lear jets, only had an 8th grade education. No, I believe that for public office, that moral values and good judgement are far more important than formal education. So based on her record as a former mayor, and as Governor of Alsaka, I'd say she has both. Keep in mind that these are both executive positions...a far cry from Obama's "experience."

7. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    After today's meeting and press conference, I too am slighlty optimistic. And, just to irritate certtain folks on the board I'll ask a question. During the meltdown, does anyone recall seeing Bush, surrounded by a panel of internationally known fiscal experts, including Warren Buffet on the phone, facing the public, attempting to reassure a frightened population and then freely taking questions from the press?

The answer is no. Instead, Bush and his henchmen crafted a 3 page bill giving Paulson exclusive rights over almost a trillion dollars, with no accountaility or supervision. Of course it failed approval, and instead it was revised into a 120 age document of pure bloat by the same rotten congress that has watched as our national debt climbed from 5 trillion to 11 trillion dollars.

Hopefully this kind of nonsense will change after January 20th. There is a reason why the Democrats won. As was posted on another blog today "Any candidate with real intelligence, judgment, and expertise would not support the policies of the Republican party platform, plain and simple. As long as those basic policies remain unchanged, the candidates who will succeed must be able to practice deep denial while acting with full confidence in their righteousness. This means the qualifications to be the GOP nominee are mostly ones of psychological imbalance and theatrical skill. To change that situation, the entire policy agenda of the Republican party would have to change, and that simply isn’t going to happen.

8. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just wanted to say that I didn't particularly like either one of the options this election.

One good thing that I hope will come from Obama being elected is that the gap between races should narrow in the minds of our children who will see that any color can be elected to the highest office in the land, and therefore they will not be as likely to fall into the "I'll never make it because I'm a (race color) man/woman" mindset.

I'd also like to remark on the incredible amount of misinformation that this election has seen. Thanks to the internet its easier than ever to learn about the candidates, but its also easier than ever to spread lies and falsehoods. It also allows anyone to find "articles" supporting just about anything. I'm sure if I look hard enough someone has written a very compelling article proving that the common housefly is the most intelligent creature on the planet. I was amazed this year to hear people I knew, who are otherwise very smart folks, say things that were complete nonsense about the candidates after they read it somewhere online. I think the old saying, "believe nothing that you hear, little of what you read, and half of what you see" needs to be printed on the top of computer monitors so people will remember that ANYONE can write an article and make a web page to further their agendas.

All in all, I am just taking a wait an see approach, as I have VERY little confidence in any of those clowns in the government to do anything more than work to secure their place of power and increase their wealth.

9. El Arracadas

El Arracadas Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have to disagree on that part:
    1st- The Democrats have been in charge for the last 2 years and did not want to go at it alone with the bailout, because it if the bailout failed they would have been blamed for it.
    2nd-The first bailout package was full of pork and had to be re-written so ACORN and others would not get part of the money that was supposed to bail the banks, not hand outs to buy more votes in the near future as they usually do, Democrats and Republicans.
    3rd-Bush pretty much was done at that moment and had no choice but to go with the flow and try to contain the damage.

Now that the Democrats have a president, the house and the senate, they will have nobody to blame but themselves, I hope and pray that they do the right thing for the future of this country, it's getting pretty ugly up here and it will start to trickle down to the rest of the world, I know that Mejico will be hit hard if it continues the same path.

Just my 2 centavos.

10. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hear Hear! I agree. Now that any fool and their mother can publish a blog truth has gotten lost in the mess of opinion and b.s. My favorite is "it must be true, I read it on the internet."

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice