YAY!!!!! OBAMA WON!!!!

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by RiverGirl, Nov 5, 2008.

1. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    First, you spelled Communist wrong.

Second, you haven't read what Obama has said about his religious upbringing or the Constitution.

Chapter 3 in Obama's Audacity of Hope is called "Our Constitution." In it he shows a greater understanding of and a greater respect for our Constitution than I have seen in any political leader in my lifetime. He also discusses the difficult issue of how literally the Constitution ought to be interpreted. Is it acceptable for justices to interpret and the Constitution in today's terms, in light of new inventions and problems that didn't exist when it was written, or not? He wrestles with this issue in that chapter.

Chapter 6 in Audacity of Hope is called "Faith" and in it he describes his religious views and how he gained them. He was not raised in a religious home. His mother was a secularist and raised him to respect all religious views, she became an anthropologist which I think points to how she looked at other cultures and at religion.

Obama chose, as a young man, to begin attending a Christian church and has not stopped. His religious convictions are his own. He was not raised to blindly believe in the God of his parents. He was raised to think for himself and was given the freedom to chose a religion for himself. In my mind this gives greater meaning to his being a Christian. He's not just a Christian but is a fully conscious Christian.

He is not and never was a Muslim.

2. CancunMole

CancunMole Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My apologies to any and all for my obvious lack of understanding and my thanks for explaining and sharing your research and thoughts. I certainly didn't mean to open such a can of worms nor to offend anyone by my assessment.

I will continue to wait and see what happens and what change occurs.

3. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So...Did you really believe that Obama is\was a Muslim. Is that what you based the rest of your ill-informed diatribe on? Or perhaps you really believed he was a left leaning, sandal-wearing, pot-smoking, godless commie-pinko anti-American rat. Is that what influenced your vote? And now that you've confessed your "lack of understanding" and are grateful for us sharing our research and thoughts, do you have any second thoughts about the vote you cast. Somehow, I don't think so.

4. CancunMole

CancunMole Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I will wait and see what happens. I think that the real mistake is/was that I thought that another opinion/assessment might be allowed here but I guess I was wrong so I have deleted my offensive posts. Again my apologies and I won't bother any of of you again with my ill-informed diatribes...........

5. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You are entitled to any and all opinions you may hold and/or express. That is your right as a citizen. And had you expressed your opinions supported by facts, not fiction, you would have found a totally different response here.

What you are not entitled to is the broadcasting of blatant, purulent lies, i.e. Obama is a Muslim. And it's sad that it seems you used that as part of your voting decision.

6. GONZO

GONZO Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Mole I dropped out of the talk after I saw your posts. At least you went and deleted them, I voted for McCain, but surley not for the reasons that you have spouted. Did you not see any of the coverage of his pastor?

Gotta look for your info from more then message boards.

7. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I don't expect everyone here to agree with my political views. My own husband doesn't agree with my views on everything. He's more left than I am. And, I think, much less pragmatic and practical.

But there's a difference between presenting your opinion, as your opinion, and making an aggressive and emotional statement like this one:

You deliberately picked a fight when you chose words like that. And now you are upset that we didn't back off?

Personally I value the differing political opinions of my friends and acquaintances so long as they are presented with respect. A well-presented argument against my view point will do a lot to make me think about my stance. An argumentative attack laced with lies will make me think there's something wrong with the way YOU think and I won't question my own thinking at all.

8. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  9. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  10. elleboogs

elleboogs Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I will wait and see what happens. I think that the real mistake is/was that I thought that another opinion/assessment might be allowed here but I guess I was wrong so I have deleted my offensive posts. Again my apologies and I won't bother any of of you again with my ill-informed diatribes...........[/quote]

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion - as stated in the last several posts made by many people; including my first, second and third. Not one person has attacked your political thoughts, nor anyone elses. Your comment about the "real mistake is/was that I thought that another opinion/assessment might be allowed" is something that a martyr would say when making an "apology". However, with that being sad - appreciate your post being removed. I felt I had made it very clear that it wasn't your opinions that were offensive, but the words you chose to use that were.... Not to mention you were discussing something as though it were a fact, and cont'd to ignore the subject when ppl brought it up.

I was never trying to change your political ways.... Simply had to stand up for what I felt was right. Post away, but be careful what you write.... Especially blatant name calling and such.... Did you really think ppl would not have a problem with that?

Each and every one of us is OBVIOUSLY hoping for the best... BO certainly has my support, as would have McCain...Why? Because that is what it truly means to be a patriot.... Even if things don't always go your way....

M - on a side note, the little comment about the majority gov't - was referring to the "electoral college", however, after living in a country like Canada for a few years where it is not a majority rule, you will learn to appreciate a percentage that small....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice