XXV International Night Marathon, Cancun, 2009

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Nov 6, 2009.

1. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    IMPORTANT NOTICE

Runners must pick up their "kits" (which will include a device to measure their time and distance electronically, as I understand it) on Friday, December 4, between the hours of 10 AM and 8 PM, at the Hotel Gran Caribe Real, at KM 11.5, in the hotel zone, Cancun.

Cancun is the host of the 25th Annual, International Night Marathon, on Saturday, December 5th. Starting at 4 P.M., the event will include a marathon race, 42.195 kilometers; a half marathon, and a 5 kilometer race, all beginning, and ending, at the same places.

This event has a lot of history associated with it, and it represents a chance for those of you who haven’t tried your hand at a marathon, to do so, without leaving town!

There will be age categories in which you can compete, and all ages, down to age 12, will be permitted to run. For the marathon, and half marathon, the categories for men, and women, will be the following, by age group: 18-39; 40-49; 50-59; and 60 and over.

To register for the event, you will need to visit the offices of the Consejo Municipal de la Juventud y el Deporte, which is right next door to the House of Culture, in Cancun, on the prolongation of Yaxchilan, no later than the 3rd of December; otherwise, you must pay more to register. Registration closes at noon on 5 December.

Registration for the 5 km event, is just 100 pesos. Registration of 12-17 years old in the 5 km event, is just 50 pesos. Registration for the marathon and half marathon is $35 USD for foreigners, or $300 pesos for “nacionales.” To compete at the longer distances, you must be 18, or over.

For additional information, you can call 892-3060, or email Consejodeportecancun@yahoo.com.mx

2. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    REGISTRATION

My wife and I have registered for the 5 K event, which is part of the XXV International Night Marathon, Cancun 2009. Cost was 100 pesos per person. For me, this shorter distance will be challenging enough. (I marvel at the people who can run a marathon; or, even more incomprehensible, can do the Ironman contests, which combine a 2 mile swim, with a 110 mile bike ride, and a marathon, all done on the same day!)

If you wish to register for the event, you will need to visit the offices of the Consejo Municipal de la Juventud y el Deporte, which is on the same territory as the House of Culture, but closer to the street, on the prolongation of Yaxchilan. As you approach the building, you will have just entered an open passageway when you will see a gym on the right, and a glass door to the left. Go in the door on the left, and immediately up the stairs. At the top of the stairs you will walk into a large office area, with the info desk, straight ahead. They can direct you from there. Preregistration is required for this event.

There's just one week left to get registered, and prepare your self mentally, for any who are considering participating!

3. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    REGISTRATION

There's still time to register for this weekend's XXV International Night Marathon, Cancun, 2009! For those of you who think a marathon is a little out of reach, there's the half marathon; and, if that still sounds too daunting, there's the 5K!

Some of you are like I am, not really a runner; but, hey, we can run/walk that 5K and join in the fun! Others who've attended this big event say it's really a sight, with over a thousand runners participating.

6K still sound like too much? Well, somehow, the Corona Beer Distributor in Cancun always seems able to wrangle an invitation to these kind of events, and sets up his tents with great ice buckets full of cold beer at 25 pesos, each. So, you have the chance to drink a cool one, while watching the rest of us labor by!

Come on out, I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself.

TraceyUK, isn't it about time you thought about giving this a try? My wife will be running in the 6K. She's not fast, but she's steady. Her 5k time is around 30.00.

4. TraceyUk

TraceyUk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    V
    long distance running has NEVER been my thing. I was the 100 and 200m county champion as a kid, however now running for a bus is about as much as I can manage.
    Good luck to all who enter.
    Tracey

5. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    NOT THE FASTEST

You little speedster! Save that burst for the finish, and you can win this thing!

6. oceansandwaves

oceansandwaves Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Question about the Run

I was wondering if anyone knows anthing about the race package pick up or the dinner that is the night before.

Any info on this would be great, I am having a really hard time finding info.

Thanks

7. ToriB

ToriB Cancuncare Sun Care Advisor Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My question is regarding traffic in and out of the HZ. Can anyone comment on that...or how it will be affected? I know most marathons give the participants 6 hrs for complete. I am afraid to hear if the road will be shut down to traffic for this

8. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    WHAT A PAIN!

T.B., I haven't seen what they did last year for this race. But, what they did for the Business Women's 5K race on 22 November was to close one side of the HZ roadway, leaving a two lane road open, in and out.

Oceansandwaves, I don't know how authoritative this information is, but it provides additional details about the course that will be run for each race, among other things, and says all the events will start and end at the great flag of Mexico, "Asta Bandera", in the hotel zone. This is a big change from the earlier details, as I understood them. [I'll continue to follow this line of information: don't want anyone to show up at the wrong spot for the start!]

http://www.asdeporte.com/evento.html?deporte=1&evento=2812#s31

Regarding the dinner you asked about, it says there will be a "Dinner of Carbohydrates" at 8 P.M., the evening before the race, at the "Salon Gran Caribe Real" at KM 11.5, in the hotel zone.

If the website I mentioned above is accurate in its info, then the shortest of the events is indeed at 5K, not a 6K, and the route mentioned there would appear to be a 5K distance. [The official website for the event had spoken of a "6K" race, which would have been an anomaly, if accurate.]

9. ketzeela

ketzeela Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  10. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    BEST MARATHON?

The hotel zone of Cancun is flat, so lacks the interest/challenge that courses with hills would offer. But, it is a beautiful place to be, in general, with the Caribbean on one side, and the lagoon Nichupte on the other. The big hotels/resorts add another element, man made beauty, with their varied architecture and manicured gardens. These things are a matter of taste, but I'm finding it more and more attractive to spend time there.

On the day of the race, expect warm warm weather and a few clouds in an otherwise clear sky, with the extremely clean air which comes from being at sea side- conducive to deep breathing, training, and competing- one thing that many courses run in cities cannot offer.

Competitors are allow five hours to complete the course, so the "slow but steady" may enjoy themselves without having to worry about competing with cars, as well, near the end of the 42Ks!

I noticed yesterday, at 6 AM, that a good many more runners than usual were out in the hotel zone, running/jogging/stretching with a seriousness I hadn't seen before, that time of day....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice