World Cup/NBA/NFL/UFC Sports Bars for Live Events ?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by ForgotmyScreenName, Jun 12, 2010.

1. ForgotmyScreenName

ForgotmyScreenName Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What are some good places to watch the world cup and other live sporting events ? We noticed some are going to pat O's for the USA Vs England match but we are looking for something outside the hotel zone.Might end up going to Hooters or Caliente for todays match:ernaehrung015:

2. Cancun Fun

Cancun Fun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We watch all the UFC fights at The Cage in downtown. Plenty of flatscreens and buckets of beer for 100 pesos. All in english. Right across the street from Costco, next door to Bovinos restaurant. We will be there tonight at 8:45 pm. You are welcome to join us.

3. ForgotmyScreenName

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Nice ! i know exaclty where you are talking about and its very close to our house..todays usa/eng game tooks its toll on my other half but if i can rouse her up to get out we might see you there..might be chuck liddells last hoorah ! :headbanger:

4. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Germany vs Australia

This match is being shown live, from 1:30 PM, Cancun time, on Cablemas channel 41.

Just a few minutes into the game, Germany leads, 1-0.

Later-

Well, at least England avoided the humiliation suffered by Australia, today, with a 4-0 whipping, at the hands of Germany.

I don't follow football, so I don't know enough to be a good judge but, to me, Germany looked awfully strong- fit, and well disciplined.

After the game, commentators put up plays and showed the flow of the German team as they organized to set up attacks, defend, etc. It was impressive....

Until I see some more teams play, my money's on them to win it all!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  5. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    V. I think you meant to say "Well, at least the USA avoided the humiliation suffered by Australia". A bad goalkeeping error by Green and the USA defending like lions kept them in the game, another day and they could have easily lost 3-0.

I'll take your bet on Germany - they were playing Australia after all who aren't one of the better sides in the world cup and the fact that they had a man sent off helped to make the Germans look more impressive as well.

6. GONZO

GONZO Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Who do you mean could have lost England or the USA????:icon_smile:

Seems I remember the US clanking one off the pipe also.

7. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Matkirk, I'll have to defer to your knowledge of the game and the teams involved, as I don't normally follow football. But, like everybody else, I get swept up, to a degree, in World Cup fever, and start looking in!

As for the England-USA match, I started watching after the game had begun and, because they were dominating the ball to an amazing degree in the first period, I mistakenly assumed the dark jerseys were England; then, not expecting much from the USA team, I was delighted to find they were the team looking good. (I thought England was "sleepwalking" in the first period, as I said, earlier, so little were they able to touch the ball during that period; but, I'll admit, all of this is impressionistic, and not based on any solid understanding of the game.)

As for Germany, I've got a special leaning in that direction because my wife was born in Germany, and we have relatives there whom we visit, from time to time. None of that helps their team play any better, however!

8. ForgotmyScreenName

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Back to the orginal thread....

Tongihts NBA Finals Game..where to go and watch it?..still seeking out that comfort spot to have a few drinks ,relax and catch some sports /news and maybe even rub shoulders with a few xpats :)

9. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    La Taberna

Two have been mentioned on this thread. La Taberna, on Yaxchilan, is another place where the owner makes a point of showing practically all sporting events of consequence. All Cancun's taxi drivers know where this is.

10. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Usa, usa!

Is 9 AM too early to have a beer? (Johnny Cash used to sing of having a beer for breakfast, and another for desert, so it may be OK, in some circles.)

USA plays today in what I think will be a game that starts at 9 AM.

I'll probably go to La Taberna to take it in because I know there I will find no recriminating eyes, should the U.S. win, and I choose to celebrate!

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice