Woo Hoo 2 Meg Prodigy! - but a techy problem??

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Steve, May 9, 2007.

1. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Also, FYI for Steve, if you haven't already.

Go to gateway.2wire.net in your browser and then "Home Network", then click the "edit settings" under the "wireless settings", change the channel, to 11, then set the "power setting" to 10 and save, then reboot the modem...

On the new laptop, you should also go thru and delete all of the saved wireless networks it has, and manually reconnected it to the new modem.

And try moving the modem to a new location it that still fails.... my friend has a problem connecting to the modem in a certain area because the modem in under a TV and right next to the circuit breaker, so there is interference.

2. Naoautorizada

Naoautorizada Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  3. BiznKitty

BiznKitty Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Accessing the satellite is one thing, but can you buy the equipment and setup an account in Cancun?

I understand that some people have opened an account and bought the equipement in the US then took it to Mexico. Same deal you think?

4. Naoautorizada

Naoautorizada Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would suspect that you have the same options there as anywhere - ranging from the alternative you've suggested, all the way to simply allowing one of the many service providers to handle the entire operation.

http://www.satsig.net/ivsat.htm
    http://www.skycasters.com/broadband-satellite-internet-fleet/the-satellites.html
    http://www.bcsatellite.net/

Your selection of options will depend (as always) on the money you have to spend on the product/service vs the level of skill and experience you have at installing/servicing technology.

5. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just tested my Telmex connection and checked the settings and have been given a free upgrade as well. So maybe I should retract some of the b*tching I did about Telmex in my blog...maybe, but I won't.

6. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    I tried fiddling with the settings and lost the internet altogether :roll: have got it back after a call to Prodigy but haven't been able to test whether the restored settings are working wirelessly.

Off back to Blighty tomorrow, so will test it all out and hopefully get it sorted when I get back.

7. Waste

Waste Moderator Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Steve,

Sorry I missed this thread. I know you're out for a few weeks, but something to think about when you get back.

There are multiple manufacturerrs of 802.11g chips. Although 802.11g is a wireless standard, not all chips are found to be fully compatible with each other, hence the different certifications for different platforms. Then you add all the additional proprietary compression and traffic control technologies and even more incompatibilities arise.

The first step would be to make sure all your hardware at both ends are working properly, which from I can tell has already been proven. My best suggestion at this point would be to stop off at your local big box computer store which offers the greatest return policy, and pick up a wireless router. Plug the router into your all-in-one modem and use the router as your DHCP server and your wireless access point. Also remember to disable DHCP and wireless connectivity on your modem.

I personally don't like most all in one modems. I find they don't offer the same reliability as a good stand alone router. All-in-ones normally have less support as they are only OEMed to third parties, offer less features, lower security, less firmware updates and use cheaper components to help reduce costs. When shopping for routers, I normally try to stick with either Netgear or Linksys, Netgear being my first choice.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice