Wish list for Foodies.

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by cunspin, Apr 9, 2007.

1. cunspin

cunspin Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I seem to remember a while back that there was a post with a wish list for Restaurants in Cancun Like Fish and Chips, Curry, etc. I was wondering if everyone would post their opinion of what they would like to have in Cancun.

2. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    With the number of Brits visiting and living here (including the one I'm married to), you'd think a really good Indian would be a good bet. The one we went to, Taj Mahal in Mercado 28, was absolutely horrifiying. Not that it was dirty or that the staff was unpleasant. It wasn't. The waiter was terrific and the place was spotless. It's just that the kitchen was absolutely clueless. Everything was incredibly sweet, nothing was spicy and they lacked a tandori so they couldn't make any of the traditional breads. We have much better curries at home.

3. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Indian tops my list, especially Northern Indian. GOOD Chinese food is sorely missed.

Thai food was a staple for me back in the States, I ate Thai food for lunch twice a week there. If there was good Thai food here where you could have lunch for less than $100 pesos I would live there.

There is very little in this town for vegetarians. Thai and Indian are both great for veggies.

Are you opening another restaurant? A little closer to town this time??

4. cunspin

cunspin Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We are thinking about it :D

5. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    For me it's definitely an affordable Thai or Vietnamese place and some REAL Chinese food, prefereably Szechuan. But anything a few steps above the nasty Hong Kong would be great!

6. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you hate Hong Kong, you need to try Bobo China on Nader. I recommend picking up or ordering.

My favorite is the Pollo Chima with mix fried rice and the spring rolls.

Soooooooooooo much better than crappy Hong Kong.

I'd like a greek food restaurant personally.

7. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My Greek has been satisfied with the small place at Plaza Kukulcan, but before they opened that would have topped my list. I know it's "fast food" Greek, but I can taste the tzatziki right now..mmmmmmmmmm.

Thanks for the heads up on Bobo, will check that out!

8. cunspin

cunspin Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree we are big Bobo China Fans.

9. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    I agree with many of those above.

A decent Indian would go down a treat. We tried Taj Mahal when we first moved here too and were very disappointed, never been back since. I am sure it would catch on with Mexicans if done properly.

Like mixz I'm fortunate that my wife makes great curries, (she had a good teacher :)) but really there is nothing like a "proper" curry, I guess many of the ingredients are difficult to get hold of here though.

Traditional British fish and chips too. I do think though re-creating that would be nigh on impossible here. Sirena tries hard but doesnt come close.

Another eatery I miss, although not a restaurant, is a place that does decent takeaway sandwiches or baguettes. Nice fresh bread, deep filled with exotic fillings. Please don't refer me to subway :)

Maybe one day I will find a restaurant in Cancun that I actually want to go back too :)

Oh and on this note for foodies, we've finally found some sausages that taste like sausages. They're new at Costco, from the States and called Johnsonville - around 80 pesos for 42. They're quite thin, but stick 4 or 5 on a baguette, add fried onion and smother in ketchup and you're almost in Nottingham.

10. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just drove by an Indian restaurant that is soon to open. Located on Avenida del Sol. Will have to check that out when it opens.

Steve, have you tried Ty-Coz?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice