Winter in Cancun

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by FirsttimerTX, Sep 3, 2018.

1. FirsttimerTX

FirsttimerTX Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    The wife and I are planning a trip to Cancun in Nov/Dec 2019. Looking for maybe a 6 night stay, but in between the holidays. Trying to plan way ahead obviously. Neither of us has been there before so we have no clue what to expect really. We are going in the winter because, first of all, that's when our anniversary is. (20 years, no honeymoon and only one big family vacation) Also we figure it will be less crowded. We both hate fighting crowds.

But what is the weather like? The Beaches? The actual crowds? I mean I know it won't exactly be cold, but is it still good swimming/beach weather? And while we don't like crowds, I'm hoping there are at least a good number of people there. I went to a Jamaican resort decades ago.. about 15 in our group and maybe a grand total of 20 more people in the entire resort.. they were nice enough people.. but it just seemed kind of deserted.

Also is it best to book tours/trips like the ruins, Xcaret and Isla Mujeres ahead of time or is it best to get to Cancun to get a feel for things and make reservations then? Maybe make friends at the resort to go with? We may not like crowds, but might be nice to find people who have been there before to help show us around.

Thanks in advance...

2. r&a 1964

r&a 1964 Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +677 / 1
    We go every winter. Usually around the middle to end of January. Once in the middle of December and once in June. For us the weather in January is good. It is normally in the 70s and 80s during the day. Some people complain the pool is to cold but we spend lots of time in the pool and enjoy it. If you look at the weather report before you go you will just depress yourself before your trip so don't even look at it. It always shows rain every day. We have had only one trip when it rained enough to even mention and then it rained for most of two days. Most of the time when it does rain a storm rolls through and it rains for a half our or so in the morning and then the rest of the day will be awesome. We live in a cold climate though so to us it seems pretty nice when we are there.

3. FirsttimerTX

FirsttimerTX Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +8 / 0
    Thanks...It seems from what you have said and what I've seen in other places that it should work out for us. I'm really looking forward to some pool and beach time.

4. Huskerman

Huskerman Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The winter can be hit or miss. I've hit the Cancun area in the winter 4 times and summer twice. Summer is hot but you can take advantage of everything. Two of the 4 winter trips were pretty poor as the pools can be somewhat cold if the sun isn't shinning. Especially later in the afternoon. We have certainly taken advantage of outside patio Jaccuzzi during those winter months. WE try to break it up a little but find that going to Jamaica or Dominican Republic during the winter months a little warmer.

5. Cancunscorpio

Cancunscorpio Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +12 / 0
    I've never spent a night at an actual Resort in Mexico (sounds odd, eh?) but then again I do not really need it;)
    Thus I can't really comment on winter pools and crowds.
    But I do recommend Cozumel instead of Cancun. Never crowded and will be perfect for you.

And do not worry about the weather, the water will always be warm enough to swim without a wetsuit, crystal clear and calm since the isle of Cozumel serves as a natural wave breaker.
    Never been a fan of ruins be it Tulum, Coba or Chichen Itza nor ever liked Isla Mujeres.

But Xcaret is right across Cozumel and easily accessible after a 25 minute long speed boat ride. This place is definitely worth visiting, but again, I am a nature guy and feel home in the jungle or on the reef doing snorkel or SCUBA instead of spending days in a hotel pool/bar.

Cancun is Mexican Miami but Cozumel is a perfect mix of nature and ultra modern amenities.
    And those Cozumel sunsets will be the icing on your 20th anniversary cake.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice