Wine for a special occasion

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Nov 3, 2009.

1. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Later this month, I'll be observing a special occasion, and I wondered if any of you could help me with a wine recommendation?

It should be a dry red wine, available locally, and not too expensive- which we can define as under 300 pesos, since we're talking about my wallet.

(However- and even if I must go to the bank, beforehand- if you feel you've got something really special, that everybody should experience, please feel free to suggest it. Who knows how "liberal" I'll be feeling on that day!)

I was virtually past middle-age before I truly learned to appreciate wine. Before that, it had just been one more thing to drink with a little alcohol in it.

But, in 2001, we made a trip to the wine country of South Africa, and that changed everything. Going from vineyard to vineyard, trying as many of the wines as we cared to try, we spent an entire day, occupying ourselves with little else. It was a memorable day, the scenery grand as the wine country there, near Cape Town, is nestled in the mountains; the vineyards, many of them dating from the 1600s, with fields running up the slopes, green with vines, the historic outbuildings stuccoed, and painted white, in contrast. A sight and taste to remember.

2. GONZO

GONZO Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think you will need to consult the best fed AAOC nominee Chicago Tom!

3. CancunMole

CancunMole Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    A couple of Chilean Wine suggestions:

GatoNegro and Concho y Toro

4. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Norton Malbec Reserve, from Mendoza Argentina. It's one of our favorites. Try La Europea or Soriana. Not available all the time. See my next post for another choice.

From the San Diego Wine Examinar, August 19th, by Bill Eyer:

I've been wanting to write a review on Argentinian Malbec's for sometime and never really came across one that I could recommend as hardily as the one pictured to the left of your screens. Well I encountered this one last night, Bodega Norton Malbec Reserve 2006 and folks let me tell I was nearly ready to run up to my PC and write this review, right then and there. But after uncorking the bottle a wave of dark black fruits wafted delightfully towards me and I knew almost immediately that I had a amazing taste on the way.
    Just like catching the glimpse of some attractive person on your peripheral vision you just know, a second look will confirm your suspicion, this was the case with this wine, a real stunner!
    In the glass the core was a dark ruby and fading away to the rim a veil of Crimson. As I gave it a swirl the aromas of dark cherry, currant, melding harmoniously together. Weighing in at 14% Alc. and funny the winery must have forgot to add that to the label, so the distributor had it lasered on after shipping.
    After the first sip, it displayed its wonderful bounty of well-layered ripe blackberry and dark plum flavors, with a touch of dark chocolate and a splash of coffee. This wine is well integrated and immediately approachable, while the finish is long and persistent. But a decant time of an hour only enhanced the the experience.

This wine demonstrates everything which is wonderful about the Argentinian Malbec, the ability to offer a wine of this caliber for so few dollars! I know once WS and RP get a hold of this wine their reviews could mirror my own closely. I would guess they would give it a 91 and I would say I must agree, because the QPR is through the roof! Folks seriously I picked this up @ Costco for a mere $12.89 each. I was totally caught off guard, but enjoyed every swirl, sniff and the very last sip! Once this review is posted folks are going to run not walk to get this gem while it last! I broke open the piggy bank, and rooted around under seat cushions just to acquire a few more.

5. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Thank you, Mole, for taking the time to offer some suggestions.

Those are both good lines of wines: the problem for us would be that we drink those, among others, frequently, if not a lot.

For this occasion, to make it seem special, it will need to be something not found on our menu at home.

Please feel free to post again, if you have some other ideas for us.

6. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  7. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Mixz1, you made me laugh out loud with that one. I don't know wine terminology, could that be called a "fragile" wine? Either the wine's fragile, or the taste very discriminating, in this case! I promise I won't serve you either one that's less than 59 minutes, nor more than 61, if you visit me, and we serve this wine!

We also drink Casillero del Diablo, from time to time, in our home, and we like it. It was our "house" wine when we were in Panama, where it is sold quite cheaply. Here it tends to cost about 50% more.

Is the Cabernet Sauvignon/Syrah Reserva rare, and therefore more expensive, as a result? What does it cost? Is it sold everywhere, like other bottles of that line?

That's a beautiful website, and description of the wine you recommended, as well as a very substantial looking bottle. I know my wife would be impressed if I produced that: she'd recognize I'd gone to some trouble, with a little help from my friends!

8. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I will second the Casillero del Diablo Cabernet Sauvignon from Concha y Toro. That's a standard for my book club, cheap and good.

And I will withhold the snarky comment I was going to make about web sites that play music...but you do have to admire how hard they tried with that site, a lot of work went into it.

9. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Hi, RG, I think the one Mixz1 was recommending, the Cabernet Sauvignon/Syrah Reserva, is a little different, maybe more rare and perhaps more expensive, than the one the book club uses, routinely. If not, how can I join the book club!

I'm still waiting to hear from him how much it is, and where I can get it, locally, before I get too excited.

Mixz1, for some reason, I missed your first post, suggesting the Malbec, with details. We like Malbecs, and that could prove to be a good choice, too. That was quite a recommendation the writer gave it!

What does it sell for locally?

10. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My book club requires genetic testing and a 3 year waiting period to get into. Seriously. Plus you have to be a girl, I think.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice