Why Spanish?

Discussion in 'Free For All' started by twinimini, Jan 9, 2012.

1. twinimini

twinimini I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +63 / 0

Rawkus, I think when you see how divisive the language issue can be in other countries, such as Canada, you realize that a common language is a key to the survival of a nation. How far fetched is it to have a movement in the Southwest or in South Florida to make Spanish the official language? How about outlawing English in those areas? How solid would the nation of Mexico be if half the country spoke Spanish and half spoke German? Think that one would work out? Spanish is the official language of Mexico, so why is it so offensive for English to be the official language of the US? Do you see my point?

2. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Twini: I see your point.

I have not commented on groups that want to outlaw English(?) and make Spanish the official language in certain areas. Not going to dig deeper there, as I have never heard of these groups.

I was born and raised in Sweden, where Swedish is the official language, so yes, I have seen what its like having several languages used in society. Actually several more than in both US and Canada.

Even with the official language, we have many groups of people whom doe not speak it, do not make an effort and clearly never intend to do so.

The majority of those are the older ones in a family of immigrants. Most of them being very conservative, from Balkan, Russia, Finland(!), Iraq etc.

Our society is doing well, regardless.

Personally, Im thrilled that I got to grow up with over 100 different nationalities. It hase given me opportunities, friendships and experiences I could only have dreamed about, if I had only been surrounded by Swedes speaking Swedish. Also, it has given me a much more open mind, when it comes to different cultures, and as a result, I also speak several languages, since I was a kid. By my own choice, that is. :)

I think Im more curious as why I have never heard of a debate about making English the official language in the US.

I thought the Tea Party and similar loons would have screamed their throats off by now, but nope... Nada(hehe).

I have a hard time believing its only because they dont want to "offend" people. Sounds like a soft excuse.

Maybe the benefits outweigh the negative side?

Ps. Please note that I do NOT see it all through rose colored glasses, but only speak from personal experiences.

3. twinimini

twinimini I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +63 / 0
    Rawkus I also speak a little bit of a foreign language and it is, of course, Spanish. I speak it with a Cordobase accent from the area of Argentina I learned the language. I feel that I should try to use it when I am in Mexico as I am a guest in someone's else's country.

The multi cultural aspect of life is fine and we all can learn from each other. My son's wife is Vietnamese and my daughter's husband is Lebanese so I do get exposed to many cultures and some of their good culture and their not so good culture.

My comment on English being outlawed in certain areas is speculative and any movement along those lines would be small, at least at the moment. As for the Tea Party, I think the movement was a good idea but many of those within the movement lost sight of what they had hoped to accomplish. This allowed the fringe to basically take over the movement.

The language issue for most in the Tea Party is extremely minor when compared to the big issues of a bloated government quick to buy votes with dollars earned by others. We have become a nation where political influence is sold like a commodity by both parties. Congress and the President have just become a large Wal Mart but their product is political influence. That is the Tea Party's major complaint.

4. Ben & Lisa

Ben & Lisa Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    Multiculturalism is a byproduct of a immigrants failing or not wanted to assimilate into the culture they are immigrating to. This hasn't existed in the US until recently and then only with spanish speaking people.
    You seem to be thinking that I am referring to diversity , when I say multiculturalism. I, in fact, am not. And one only has to look at the Roman Empire to see multiculturalism failings.
    As to the first Americans. Its complicated as much of the north American continent was blanketed with ice only 10,000 years ago destroying evidence of who was eaxctly here first. However this guy was here just after the last ice age and is isnt related to any American Indian .
    Kennewick Man - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  5. Canadian Dos Equis fan

Canadian Dos Equis fan Cancuncare's Most Interesting Man Registered Member

Ratings:
    +177 / 0
    It is pretty well established that the first settlers to North America came across the Bering Strait across a land bridge during the last major ice age. Some sites are in excess of 15,000 years old.

6. Ben & Lisa

Ben & Lisa Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0
    And we also have evidence that suggests Indians where not the only people to have crossed said land bridge or that the Bering Strait land bridge was the only port of entry.
    My wording was poor in the part of the my post I think you are talking about so I have changed it.

7. Franco27

Franco27 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm pretty sure it was us .. Rule Britannia ;)

(only joking by the way!)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice