Why no lemons in Cancun?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by CancunTom, Sep 27, 2007.

1. CancunTom

CancunTom Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Lemons

Well......I guess I won't be a "tourist" much longer. That's why I'm trying to solve this mystery ahead of time. Maybe I need to find some super fast growing lemon seeds and bring them along with me to plant in my yard?? eh, Steve,

TJ, believe me as hard as I've tried to play tricks on mysef oganoleptically, my taste buds refuse to believe a green lemon really tastes as sour as a yellow lemon. Therefore like a junkie, I will need to find a lemon pusher in Cancun!

2. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    buy sopa de lima and you will find one. Lima=lemon Limón =lime

3. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey Tom, Jim and others.

At Market 23 they have these things called Limas Dulces that may or may not be what you find in the states and call Lemons.

I am happy with Limes so did not bother to buy one just to see if it is really sweet (= dulces) or what.

Maybe Jim or Steve or someone will know if this will give Tom the fix he so desperately will need. Now I am so damn curious I may go back and buy a few and rustle up some lemonade or something.

They are certainly yellow, not as smooth skinned as US type lemons and are the right size.

It's the best I can do.

4. Shari

Shari Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Here is a link to a cooking site at which someone asks about the lack of lemons in Mexico. The do recommend the limon dulces which are apparently still limes.

I don't know about any shipping or customs issues but the lemons you are searching for can be purchased online from Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GZPP0E/?tag=cancuncare-20

Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2019
  5. Ana

Ana Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We ask the same question every time we are in US, why they do not have Lemons; waht we call lemons - everytime we ask for one it taste like Lime. Maybe you need to ask for a lime and get the taste you are looking for.

Same as Orange, we have Juice Orange (as the ones from Florida) and then we have sour orange the once used to cook.

6. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Shari - These are limas dulces that I am talking about, not limones dulces. I actually went back to Chedraui and bought a couple. When I cut one open and taste the juice I will post some more info.

I am not sure if Customs would permit fruits to be shipped into Mexico for private use. You cannot even bring in a banana on the plane.

If I had sense enough how to use the Image function on this board I would try to post a photo or two of what I found today at Chedraui.

7. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Basically the photo needs to be hosted on the web, you post the link and surround it with IMG tags. Some places like picture trail will provide you with the correct code off their site.

{img}http://www.linktoyourphoto.jpg{/img}

Except you have to use square brackets instead of the wiggly ones above.

8. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well these "Limas Dulces" are NOT the ticket that Chicago Tom is looking for. I took these nice photos, and with Steve's info, was going to post them.

But I cut one open and while it looks like a lemon inside and out, complete with seeds, I drank the juice of half of one of them and did not even pucker.

The taste is indescribable but ever so slightly sweet and not sour at all. This will simply not do as a replacement for lemon as we know it from the states.

Sorry Tom.

9. Mellow_in_Puerto Morelos

Mellow_in_Puerto Morelos Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I read once that the reason that Lemons (US kind) don't grow in Mexico is that we don't have the right kind of bees here for the pollination. Sounds like a good rumor to me and i'm sticking to it. BTW, I have seen Lemons in Walmart on occasion and they were labeled "lemons real"

10. CancunTom

CancunTom Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Do the math !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok everybody thanks for all the suggestions.......................... Here's where we at.......................let me do the math.........

Take one of these.....
    [​IMG]

Add one of these.............
    [​IMG]

and you get this ( a lemonhead pucker )
    [​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice