WHY IS THIS THE CASE

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by T.J., Mar 20, 2008.

1. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I do not know what it is but why is the smallest car known to man, let alone the largest SUV, unable to park within the lines, or even remotely straight, in any parking lot anywhere in all of Q.R.?

It just makes no sense to me.

Do you think this is another one of those cultural things that people were writing about in the Immigrtion Sucks thread started by Mr. Troublemaker Gene? Just curious.

2. gene37412

gene37412 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    T.J. answer is simple i think......as steve had a rant about people banging his car....there is no respect for the property of anybody else in all of mexico that i have seen....if it works for that individual then to hell with everybody else......this society is all about me.....

3. Elizabeth

Elizabeth Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    TJ, will you please ask my neighbour upstairs why dragging a metal bed across the floor for 20 minutes is necessary at 6am in the morning? In addition to banging the hell out of the walls and walking around in high heels while your children drag heavy wooden chairs from one end of the apartment to the other.

Ditto on the car parking thing btw. I'm still trying to figure out why people think it's ok to turn left from the far right lane but I think I'll be more successful if I bash my head into the ground.

4. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    My current favourite is turning left at a junction with someone coming the opposite way who also wants to turn left. Why dont people realise that if our cars pass drivers window to drivers window we will both be able to see if anything is coming from the right?

Or you're waiting for oncoming traffic wanting to turn left and suddenly find you've got 2 cars to the right of you and to the left and you're all aiming for the same gap and the same 2 lanes? :roll:

5. gene37412

gene37412 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Steve I think you are exactly right about that. As you and I have talked about on many occassions people just have no respect for anything here other than themselves. Everybody talks about how great the people are here in Cancun and in the Hotel Zone where the $$$$$ is the almighty that is true. You will be treated like a king there. But out here where we live its every man for themselves with total dis-regard to others.

6. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I disagree that Mexicans respect themselves, they primarily don't it seems to me. If they did they wouldn't be dropping dead from preventable illnesses.

And no they don't much respect others. They don't respect laws or authorities either. Often they don't even respect the laws of physics. But they do seem to respect their mothers, I can say that with confidence, especially the macho middle-aged men who have no idea how to treat a woman as peer or an equal. Women who should be peers are all whores and their mothers are all saints. Bunch of rat bastards they are. But I digress...

The reason they don't park properly is that they don't know how. It varies from place to place but in many parts of Mexico there's no driving test. My husband (who is only occasionally a rat bastard) simply signed a paper saying he knew how to drive when he got his first license. And he's never been given an eye test when he's gotten a license.

Unfortunately for the rest of us he actually drives better than most people and won't let anyone forget that, but I digress...again.

And another thing, money does not buy good service in this town. I can count the number of times I've gotten good service in this town on one hand. It's gets somewhat better when you spend big bucks, but it rarely reaches the level of an average greasy spoon in the States.

In case you are wondering I'm not having a bad day and I don't need to vent, it's just that something about this thread is inspiring!

7. gene37412

gene37412 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    RG....I have to agree with you on that. Example...there was so much garbage on the roof of my building when I bought this place that one could hardly walk up there. It seems as if it can't be seen then it doesn't exist....and people wondered and actually asked my why I was bothering to clean my own property up???

8. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Here's another turning left example, my pet peeve of the month.

I'm waiting to turn left into my street, from the busy main road. I wait because I see an oncoming car. He sees me waiting there with my blinker flashing, he eventually slows down and then turns into the very same street I was waiting for him to pass so I could have turned into.

Now, he could have moved his finger the one inch required to put his blinker on and let me know, and I could have gone before him. But no, that's too much trouble.

9. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    On the turning left thing, I get grief from my woman from doing that, saying that I have no respect for others who are patiently and properly waiting in line.

This all started when I gave a cop $50 Mxn when I was (accidentally) talking on my phone and then did the same thing when I jumped a red light that was about to turn green, as is also a common practice. For the unwashed it seems that it is fine to run the red light when the opposing light flashes yellow and there is no oncoming traffic.

So, my little Mexican princess is trying to change her own culture, one person at a time starting with me. So I am going to try to be a better person for now at least. But I have to say that I do try to park straight and between the lines, but that is probably greedy of me, trying not to get my car banged up but other cars doors.

Wow, this is not quite Immigration Sucks but seems to be a nice start to an interesting thread. It's all my fault. LOL

10. gene37412

gene37412 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well TJ I am just waiting for the replies from various folks asking why we don't just leave if we don't like it. You know they are coming. For all the short comings here in Cancun, and they are many, its just as bad in the USA on some topics. I, for one, don't expect the Mexican society to change....ever. As you know one of my degress is Sociology and I have studied these folks extensively....THEY ARE NOT GOING TO CHANGE. And thats OK....just don't get a case of the ass at me because I am trying to benefit from the best of both worlds. Its still a semi-free country and we can complain about rudness, ignorance, and self centerness as much as we want.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice