Why do you live in Cancun?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Oct 6, 2009.

1. gabesz

gabesz Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Being an American who currently lives in the USA I find that you are really rude to the Mexicans for the sake of promoting your US residency.

What you said in your entire quote may be true, but if you are willing to travel and live in a foreign country you must get used to their way of life.

Its people like you who give us Americans a bad name.

2. gabesz

gabesz Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Miz: This is so true and yet so funny about Rome. Go figure the guy just hates not being in the USA. So he should stay here forever and never leave its borders. Better for Mexico.

3. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Guys - Gene has a right to his anger. And a right to his opinion. It would be healthy if his anger was channeled into something more helpfum but that will take time. But anger is still legitimate.

And it's hard to make your feelings public here, so don't pounce on him just because you don't share his feelings.

Mexico is a tough place to live, it's not for everybody. But we don't need to bash people who a vocal about this not being paradise.

The best thing about life is diversity. People have diverse opinions and experiences.

Gene is happy to be back in the US, I'm happy for him. Sometimes I want to move back just so I can simply mail a frickin' letter and be sure it will get there. It's the simple things in life that make us happy with where we live.

4. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Mexican post

Often, perceptions are shaped by expectations, and this is certainly true of life in foreign countries. Going in with a minimum of expectations, one way or the other, is helpful to the adaptation process.

One of the things that has hindered my adaptation to Mexico is the impression that it's just like back home (never a problem in China, for example). This can happen if you're from Texas, like I am, where many parts of San Antonio will look, sound and smell just like Cancun centro. I have to remind myself that this is a new place for me, and that there will be differences that I need to be sensitive to or I'll never fit in, here.

Since RG mentioned the Mexican post, I'll add my experiences, so far.

The Mexican post has a poor reputation for reliability among the locals. I have found a similar attitude towards the post in every country I've ever lived in, including the U.S. In each country I've lived, I've gotten pleasure (perhaps perverse) out of using the local post, regularly. I've used it for personal mail, and for business. Mexico has been no exception.

Early on, I got a post box in Cancun centro, and started sending and receiving mail. The postal clerks always ask me, wouldn't you like to send this by registered mail? I decline, and use the equivalent of first class, international mail (standard). I write my mom, correspond with my professional organizations, etc. Recently, I needed to get my university degrees apostilled, so I corresponded with the Secretary of State about that. To date, nothing sent in either direction has gone missing. I have sent and received mainly letters, sometimes containing checks; and, sealed, manila colored envelops containing my business correspondence.

I have had one little alarm, when I learned that my mom, who is 89, and thought she would be helpful, mailed a new credit card to me in Mexico. [I was sweating this one, and would have stopped her from doing it if I'd had a chance.] It arrived, and had not been tampered with- somewhat to my amazement- as had another letter containing a plastic, credit card sized object, my professional identification card, on another occasion.

The mail routinely takes 10-20 days to get here from the U.S., a little more than half that in the other direction, so speed is not their forte; but, mail has worked here as well as it has worked in any of the other countries I've lived in. However, I'm not recommending anyone try it because, as I said, expectations can shape perceptions- and may affect results, as well!

5. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    V - I'm still waiting for a Mother's Day card to arrive. It was sent from the US in 2004.

I do think that people have better results with the postal system here if they rent a post office box. At least that fits what I've seen and heard.

When we moved here someone sent my hubby a monthly subscription to National Geographic (in English). We got about 4 issues a year, the rest were swiped before they got to us. One was delivered in the pouring rain, so it arrived but was unreadable. I finally canceled that subscription.

I once ordered a book from Amazon and it was sent via the post office. It did arrive, late. But we had to keep going back to the Post Office and asking after it. Finally some guy there says "oh wait, let me look in one more spot." He runs to the back and we see him crawl under a desk that is up against a wall, he drags out a beaten-to-shit box that has my book in it. It was not a trust-inspiring moment.

6. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Hi, RG. Not to get into your business, but I'd quit waiting for that Mother's Day card.

I think one of the things that has to cause some trouble is the very complex system of addresses used here; for example, SM15, M1, E8, D205! I mean, really....

However, even my dear old mom had managed it, back before I got the A.P.; but, even now, she persists in using the wrong zip code, giving one for where I used to live in the U.S. (Fortunately, the Mexican post ignores the error, and delivers to me, anyway.)

7. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Haha, Im waiting for my Degree(sent from Australia, April 28th, 2007) :?

It was sent via Fed Ex and the traces end when the the "package" entered Mexico...

Im sure someone in DF can buy my Eco-tourism degree for 200 pesos now :lol:

8. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Re: Mexican post

Your mail experience is fortunate and an exception to the rule. I cannot count the number of items I have NOT received that were sent through the Mexican postal system. I have had credit cards disappear, with the attending hassles that come from that. Being a member of AMPAS, I have never, I repeat never had a screening DVD arrive except when sent by registered mail. In fact my experience was instrumental in the Academy changing over to FedeX delivery for screeners and scripts. I've had computer parts go missing and magazine subscriptions co-opted, either arriving in obviously opened and read condition of not arriving at all.

I also have had outbound mail go up in smoke or arrive 20 to 30 days after I mailed it. There's a reason why my Mexican banks, CFE and other services deliver their mail by private courier. The one exception is TelMex, and frankly I don't understand how that bill always arrives.

After the first 6 months down here, I contracted with one of the private mail services down here. It was worth the expense and I've never looked back.

And one last comment: I never had a doubt when I dropped an envelope into the mail in the US. Nor in London or Berlin, where if mailed early enough in the morning, intercity mail arrived that same afternoon. I once asked a Mexican postman how often they picked up the mail from the mailbox in front of the Convention Center where we were standing. His reply was, "Once in a while. I wouldn't use it if I were you."

9. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Hi, Mixz1, now I'm beginning to worry that my mail is just not very attractive....

I'm not surprised at all by what you've added, and anytime I need a high level of certainty of delivery, or speed, or both, I'll continue to use FedEx, in spite of Rawkus' bad experience!

10. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    V: Thats not all the important stuff that Fed Ex Mex has managed to screw up for me :-o

They managed to "loose" my brand new passport somewhere between DF and Cancun...

Now, I wouldnt care if it was simple letters etc., but sensitive stuff as my degree and my passport is NOT acceptable.

The worst part? Not even ONE apology :roll:

Needless to say I dont use Fed Ex in Mexico any longer, and most likely never will again...

I guess Im just very unlucky, haha.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice