Why do you live in Cancun?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Oct 6, 2009.

1. TraceyUk

TraceyUk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    Sorry Mixz but we have found time and time again- we do get quoted different prices for everything.My husband speaks fabulous spanish but I guess he still has the accent. When we have phoned about house rentals - he can call and be given one price and then we get a Mexican friend to call and it comes down- same if we send car to a mechanic, call a plummer or any workman. We have just accepted it, our Mexican friends laugh about it.We totally embrace our new home here and its culture - but the truth is we are still foreigners here and at times we get ripped off.
    My husband works with other expats married to Mexicans and they all get the Mexican spouse to deal with things concerning bartering..............its just how it is.
    It certainly doesn't make me want to leave though.
    Tracey

2. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree with Mixz1, to some extent. I often go out without the Mexican hubby and have to negotiate things on my own. If I negotiate in Spanish and tell them I am a local the prices do come down. Maybe the prices don't come down to the level a Mexican would pay, but they come down a lot. In general if I over pay for something it's because I don't bother to fight the good fight and get the price down.

Now I do have a cheapskate Mexican husband to negotiate all of the big tickets items for me. So my negotiating skills only really get used for cheap stuff anyway.

3. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,210 / 14
    Why do I live in Cancun?

For me it started about 12 years ago. My second time on holiday here, met a beautiful 22 yr old Mexican girl in Dady Rock (of all places!) and some time later ended up taking her back to England, where we lived for 6 years together and got married.

We vacationed to Cancun a few times every year and loved the place so much we wanted to find a way to move there permanently. Started this website in 2002 as a hobby but it quickly became a business. After a while the website brought me a greater income than my day job, we sold up and moved.

Been here 5 yrs now. I dont think we'll live here forever, but we'll certainly be here for a good few years yet.

Will always wonder what might have been had I gone to Coco Bongo that night instead :wink:

4. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Two price system

[I want to comment on the two price system people are talking about but first, for those who don't live here, let me say that in the large stores/supermarkets/convenience stores, etc., and in many of the other places you will shop, everything is price posted, and this is not an issue.]

But, referring to the "two price" system under discussion, it does add an extra burden to us who are from other, perhaps richer, countries. It seems to exist in two forms, an official form in which official fees for park entrance, etc., are set higher for foreigners than for locals; and, in the unofficial form, in terms of higher prices being asked us by vendors/service providers.

In Mexico, in most instances it seems, those who have gotten permission to live in Mexico are no longer charged the higher, tourist, rates when it comes to official fees, but are allowed the local rate, instead. As for the other, non official, charges asked by vendors/service providers, it seems to me they are just trying to be good businessmen, and sizing up the customer.

A two price system has existed in every foreign country I've lived in- now a total of six. That it exists is no longer shocking to me.

In those situations where I must negotiate a price, I try to do a little research to find out what locals are paying for the same thing, then offer a little less than that. In most- but not all- cases I get a reasonable price in light of what others are paying. However, if the seller is unyeilding, as they sometimes are, I shrug, walk away, and buy from someone else; or, not at all.

If I'm dealing with the same people, day after day- for example, in a fresh produce market- they quickly learn they must give me a reasonable price or I won't do business with them. If they refuse to lower the price they are asking, I always give them a "second chance" another day, never refusing to do business with someone who first tried to charge me too much, but later reconsidered. They are, after all, just businessmen, and human.

I don't enjoy having to do this- it would be simpler if I didn't- but I am used to it and can do it impassionately, now, most of the time....

5. cunspin

cunspin Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The 2 price system exists in the USA as well, Locals always get preferred Pricing. Try going to any community pool the cost is different if you are not a resident in that township or City.
    I see nothing wrong with a discount for locals especially in a City that lives almost 100% on Tourism. I bet the parks in Orlando charge locals a preferential rate.
    Bartering exists for all it just comes down to how good you are at it. Speaking the language Helps....a lot!

6. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Amazingly good point, Cunspin, now that I think about it!

"Out of state" tuition; "Nonresident" hunting/fishing license- the list must be a long one, indeed, even in the U.S.

7. cunspin

cunspin Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You can't even get fishing and Hunting licences unless you can prove your a resident in many places.

8. gene37412

gene37412 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What about the rude people....take for instance Plaza Las Americus.....try walking along that mall and staying to the right while doing a little window shopping.....how many times are you going to get run over because the Mexicans seem to have no clue about how to be polite.

What about the traffic accidents? I took a brand new car to Cancun. Got hit twice in WalMart parking lot and the rude people just drove off. The 3rd time I get hit I was approaching my car and saw it happen. The guy just started laughing at me when i questioned him about repairing the damage. I got so mad I went to my car, took out the jack handle and busted hiw windshield. VIVA USA.....screw Mexico and the Mexicans

9. mormis

mormis I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    not the coolest thing to say in a Cancun forum... lol

10. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,210 / 14
    I agree, tone it down a bit Gene please.

I think perhaps your comments indicate a little why you couldnt get on here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice