Why do you live in Cancun?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Oct 6, 2009.

1. mormis

mormis I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    after 7 months here my two cents are:

"I live here because i can"

I am not going to say its been easy, because its been really hard for me, i still miss Mexico City like crazy, but now i feel like im settling down much better than last time.

I love my little house by market 28, i love my job, and i love taking long rides on my moped :)

Im starting to enjoy Cancun just about now haha

2. ToriB

ToriB Cancuncare Sun Care Advisor Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    And Norma, we are all enjoying your company too

3. Sun&Fun

Sun&Fun Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Congrats......finally somebody says something smart about this issue!
    You have to learn the culture and respect the locals.
    In the US you can also find rude people with no manners, those who slam the door against your car, scams all over, etc. etc. So I donĀ“t see the purpose of these comments.

4. perceived beauty

perceived beauty Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have followed this post with interest and have an observation. Most of the people that have expressed an opinion, either positive or negative, are guests in Mexico/Cancun, not Mexican Nationals. I never forget that I am a guest and not even an invited guest. As long as I choose to stay here as a guest mostly depends on my attitiude and my finances. Mexico can be a very difficult place for an outsider or foreign national, no matter what part of the globe you come from. I came here knowing that I was not an invited guest and, from day one, worked on my attitude and my appreciation for being allowed to live here. I have no need to move back to the US and will eat as much humble pie as needed to be able to stay here and enjoy my life and the wonderful friends I have made. This is not our country to change. Yes, Mexico has many issues but Mexico had those issues when I moved here and I made a decission to do it anyway. Many of the current problems were caused by gringos, gringo money and gringo know-it-all or I-have-a-better-way attitudes. I have seen many gringos come and go and most of the ones that left were frustrated because they could not adjust and could not change things. Please understand, I am not knocking anyone that has responded to this post, only expressing my opinion. I find this a great place to live and enjoy the beauty. When I get tired of the bad drivers and the crazies, I spend the weekend in Valladolid or Chetumal and recharge my attitude. In my humble opinion, we are all blessed to be here and the "Cancun Craziness" is simply the price of admission.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  5. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Beauty, there are probably two extremes on the scale you're taking about: those who tiresomely bitch about everything and will probably leave Mexico, at some point; and, those who feel they have no right to bitch about anything.

Although those of us who want to be here are grateful for Mexico's immigration policies, it is probably not accurate to call us "guests". Those of us who have acquired immigration documents through the processes Mexican Law requires have, at the same time, acquired certain legal rights guaranteed by Mexican Law- in my case, a right to work independently of any employer, performing my services as a self-employed person, and a right to live here, legally, so long as I continue to comply with the requirements of the law.

There is another possibility as well: some percentage of those who've come from abroad came with something to impart to the society, something that Mexicans need, or want. For example, those who've gone through the painful process of setting up and running a business here have, in many cases, provided jobs to local people, thereby addressing the most pressing social need in the country, a need for more work for more people. Almost all of us have maids, and provide work to those with the fewest skills and least education who, therefore, need the opportunity the most. Others, like myself, have training to offer that Mexicans find valuable in their life, and work. Some have started programs of social benefit or provided direct assistance- to single moms and their children, orphans, and others. The list goes on, with many feeling an impulse to do something positive, where ever they may be living at the time.

Though some may come across as "know it all", some actually know something, and do something of value to the community. While positive change of any kind is always a struggle, anywhere, some are willing to make the effort.

I don't know about other nationalities, but according to U.S. Government data there are in excess of one million American citizens living in Mexico, at this time, so I think it's safe to say that many people find Mexico attractive, just as it is, while working in ways they find open to them to make things just a little better.

In regard to a right to bitch, I think ToriB once summed it up rather nicely: those who are paying the price to be here have earned the right- though how they chose to exercise it should be subject to good judgment, just as in other matters.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  6. Gringation

Gringation Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Great comments both from V and PB. My view is that it's ok to bitch, but you have to be careful who you bitch to. There are many comments about Mexico/Cancun that I shouldn't make to a local, but I'd feel perfectly comfortable venting on this forum.

I would think many of the things that are said on CancunCare aren't things we'd say to our Mexican friends out of respect, just frustrations we need to vent about to someone who understands and won't be offended.

In my time here, I've certainly made many comments with my "gringo I have a better way attitude", as PB says, and my Mexican friends politely told me to shut up! At any rate, there are still so many more positives than negatives about living here, and I'm orgullosamente cancunense!

7. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Dogs, dogs

Mexicans great love of dogs makes for a lot of noise in almost any neighborhood you want to mention: scarcely a Mexican home or apt is without its dog. They are the main source of noise in our complex.

But, the problem took on a whole new dimension, recently, when one of my neighbors added a Husky to the mix. Beautiful dog it is, apparently, closely related to the wolf, and it howls just as wolves do, long and loud.

The new addition started up at 5 AM on Sunday morning, and continued till midday. He was at it again this AM.

Even adjacent apt complexes have gotten into the act complaining about it, even those who have dogs, themselves, so I'm hoping he will be introduced to a new neighborhood, soon.

8. ToriB

ToriB Cancuncare Sun Care Advisor Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sorry V, I have to disagree big time with you. I think of myself as having a great love of dogs. As I see it, Mexico has a VERY long road to go before I can say the same about the ppl here. Yes, some do respect dogs, but not the majority. If so, there wouldn't be such a stray problem, dogs wouldn't be barking at all hours nor would they be chained to fences on a chord that hardly allows them to lay down. I grew up in a City but also lived in rural areas and never saw such mistreatment. Owners need to train their pooches, and here, its not common practice. I see this new dog you mention being sent to a shelter (which are over capacity) or on the street which has the same problem. I doubt the neighbor would move.

9. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    V: Tori is right. The "love" for dogs is all but big here. If there was, then the problem with strays, backyard breeding and widespread dog fighting would not be as present as it is today.

Theres not even a law that battles animal cruelty(although we are fighting hard to push it through, and each month we are one more step in the right direction..). Your pet is considered your property: Its "a-ok" for ME to literally do whatever I want to MY dog("property"), including torturing it, beating it up, killing it etc. Now, if a stranger does that to YOUR pet, then he/she/they can be prosecuted, but not for animal cruelty, but for "destruction of property".

Dogs here are mostly used as guardians.

The barking dogs are exactly what owners want - if not, they'd train the dog.

All the strays Ive picked up(most of them Ive flown to new homes in CAN/USA) were re-trained within a matter of days, both young dogs and mature. And Im not a real trainer, rather far from it, haha. :)

Its a nuisance, I agree, but its always the owners responsibility, and believe me: Humans are waaaay more heard headed than any dog you'll ever meet... Sad but true.

What other dogs does this neighbor have? Im thinking Ive run into her/him at some point, and if so, Id be more than willing to chat to them. Last thing I want to see is yet another dog thrown out like garbage. The estimated +300 000 strays are more than enough...:(

10. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    We've just had three weeks of reinforcing the "Why" in the title of this thread.

This is low season, in Cancun, which is just the most amazingly wonderful time of the year to be here. Hotel rates are very, very low; the beaches are empty, and everybody is glad to see you- not to mention how delightful the weather is, this time of year.

Two weeks ago, we stayed overnight at Isla Mujeres; the next weekend at Puerto Morelos, and last weekend in the hotel zone, at an all inclusive. Each weekend was a very different but delightful experience of what the area has to offer, and all at a very low price.

For us to vacation in the hotel zone costs 17 pesos in transportation. The AI we stayed at had a rate of $130 USD for two, for everything! The facilities were spotless, the service great, and the beach and sea unbeatable. It was located at the best part of the Caribbean coast in Cancun, with the beach more than 150 yards deep, and the beach the best fine powdery white sand anywhere.

Baby sea turtles were hatching and trying to find their way to the beach, and a late night walk on the beach let us enjoy the spectacle.

Our room looked out to sea from the fourth floor, and had a large balcony from which to enjoy the view; on the opposite side, we had fine views of the lagoons that separate the city of Cancun from the hotel zone, and a rooftop bar with large multi-unit sofas to enjoy the view from.

For $130 USD for all that, with unlimited food and drink, it was a weekend to savor, and remember.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice