Why do you live in Cancun?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Oct 6, 2009.

1. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think bestday do have a Russian/Ukranian department - not sure exactly what they do but they are on the ground floor on Bonempak. There is a 6ft tall Ukranian girl working there who really should be making millions on a catwalk not wearing a polyester bestday outfit. :huh:

2. Gringation

Gringation Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    YES! That girl has legs that go on for days!

3. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    I'm sure she doesnt "do nothing" CancunScorpio, I'm not sure it's nice to suggest she's a prostitute either, purely based on the length of her legs. I'll bet she's probably involved in developing web content for Russian speakers or maybe dealing with Russian speaking customers over the live chat or email.

You know, if something like you are seeking doesnt exist and you feel there's a demand for it that is not being satisfied, why not go and create it yourself? Jobs as specific as what you're looking for aren't always going to fall into your lap even if they actually exist in the first place. For sure Russian tourism is only going to get bigger over the next few years, and there are relatively few people here who speak the language.

4. Mystic Drumz

Mystic Drumz Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just heard that there's a group of 200 Russian families coming next week to Now Jade too! Well... American-Russian, but some kind of Russian group in the states. Not that that really helps you at all, but just fyi.

5. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
  6. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    This remains the case, now that we are at the "20 months in Cancun" mark.

Mexicans are amazingly tolerant of bad Spanish, and accepting and helpful to foreigners, in my experience. The challenge is to learn to be as friendly and helpful as the Mexicans we deal with are with us.

7. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    After our experience last night, I may have to delete my "no culture" complaint regarding Cancun: we went, for the first time, to Roots, a restaurant and music venue near the Parque de las Palapas. Although highly recommended, the late start (for us!) of around 10 PM for the music had been enough to deter us from trying it. Last night, wanting to offer something special for our out of town guest, we took in the dinner and show. What a great experience! Everything about it was high quality- the decor, the food, the service and the music.

Playing last night was a group called "Juan De'Anyelica". Four musicians, representing Mexico, Cuba, and Puerto Rico joined sounds to produce an exciting and highly professional effect. They never faltered in discipline through two sets and maintained that quality to the end. Flamenco and Caribbean themes formed the core. As a novelty, to me, an electronic violin was incorporated, and played a major role. Sceptical at first that such an instrument could lend itself to serving well in this context, the brilliance and professionalism of the musician made a mockery of my preconceptions as the violinist brought out jazz sounds with his instrument just as others might with the more traditional ones.

It seems they are playing every Saturday night, for a while.

8. ToriB

ToriB Cancuncare Sun Care Advisor Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    V- I LOVE Roots and I absolutely adore that band. Their rhythm is amazing, and the box drum sends chills through me. Sorry it's taken you this long to venture over. Hopefully I'll see you there one of these nights.

9. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Juan and the jazz fusion guys are great. They have been playing there for several years, on and off. Not quite a house band but it seems they have pretty much of a regular gig.

10. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    For us, living in Cancun is, in a way, a reaction to other places we've lived. For example, we lived above the 63 degree of latitude for some time, and it's nice to get away from the cold; we lived in a number of places with really sucky air, and it's nice to breathe clean air, for a change. Add the warmth of the Mexican people, and it's a pretty nice combination.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice