Why do you live in Cancun?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Oct 6, 2009.

1. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ignorance brought me here...Poverty keeps me here....

Not really, I like it here. After looking out the window of the office today it looked like Slough - grey and raining and I knew I'd rather be here with the usual sunshine than living 3/4 of the year in rainy dark England....

2. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I guess things are really looking up: we just put in an offer on a condo, which was accepted. With the job in place, and a condo to boot, looks like we're here for a while, eh?

Rawkus, we need to get together: I'm going to be your new neighbor! What were you saying about the park???? Oh, my!!!!

3. Gringation

Gringation Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Congrats on the condo, V!

4. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    @V: Sure thing, mate!! :)

There are two cops in the park nowadays, usually from 3pm to 11pm, Monday to Saturday.

The older one is named Hector(cant remember the younger ones name...)

So far they have been REALLY nice. Meet them several times each day/evening when I walk the dogs.

Hector is asking quite a few questions however... I make stuff up as I dont trust one single cop in Mexico...

The park has been decent. Some assaults, usually after 1am during the weekends. A young girl was assaulted when she carried laundry from Nube to my street... This was before lunch time a couple of weeks ago...

Other than that, its been very decent lately, thanks to Hector and his friend. They seem very helpful and gladly chat with you. In Spanish that is :)

IF you approach them, please dont mention me at all.

Where are you going to live???? :)

5. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Sounds pretty good, Rawkus.

Looks like we may close, tomorrow, and I've asked immigration to change my status from "no inmigrante" to "inmigrante". Guess we're getting to be real Mexicans, after all.

This all went pretty fast- perhaps one month from the day we first saw the apt. The fidecomiso was approved in just 7 calendar days.

6. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Scorpio, you should have looked me up while you were here, we might have been able to come up with some ideas for work, etc.

It's not easy to make a go of it, here, but it's possible.

If you have any Desire to teach Russian, for example, and have a university degree from any university in any field, you could take a Russian Language proficiency test (piece of cake for a near native speaker), and you could probably get permission to teach, independently.

There's plenty of room to further develop the market here for Russian visitors- though there's plenty of competition for their dollars from Thailand, which also has great weather and beautiful beaches. However, Cancun is not much further from Moscow, and has a completely different culture, and cuisine! (not to mention, language). Any Russian looking for a change could consider coming here!

7. Isla Zina

Isla Zina Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Who has the Russian test to give?

8. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Hi, Zina, possibly the best credential to have for someone who is planning to work with languages in Mexico is that offered by CENNI, a division of the SEP.

Here's their website. They offer certification in eight different languages, including Russian.

CENNI. Certificación Nacional de Nivel de Idioma

9. Mystic Drumz

Mystic Drumz Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I live here cause my wife couldn't stand the long, cold, dark winters of Canada and wanted to move back to Mexico. Having never really been a fan of winter myself and having a way out we decided to come to cancun. I'm a freelance musician and entertainer and there's certainly as much work for me here as there is anywhere else!

In response to an earlier post V, there's not a lot of culture here, but there are some people doing something about it. The Coro de Cancun is a choir run by Maestro Noe Garrido that incorporates professional singers and music lovers from all over cancun. He also runs a small chamber orchestra. Many of the events they play are private, however you can see them from time to time at Teatro de Cancun and varios other public venues.. as a matter of fact the xmas concert is coming up on Dec. 15 (I'll be accompanying them on drums and percussion), and there's a concert this coming weekend as weel (27th of nov.), unfortunately off hand I don't know the venues, but I can find out if you like.

Cheers,,

JD

10. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    That's true, and now that I'm teaching at the Universidad del Caribe, I'm becoming aware of just how much stuff is going on here- but extremely poorly advertised.

In the U.S., newspapers have a section in which they tell you what's going on in town, and listing are free to the organizations who submit information: not here, it seems....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice