Why do you live in Cancun?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Oct 6, 2009.

1. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Why I still live in Cancun

It will soon be eleven months that I've been living here and I can say, for the most part, my experience with it has been from OK, to good. (People's experience with Mexico varies, and one truly bad experience could change everything, as those who've experienced a major trauma, anywhere, can tell you.)

For me, I've found most people treat me well, whether in public, or private; whether in businesses, or in government offices. I've probably had more experience of face to face dealings with government officials and employees than most people will have in many years, preferring as I do to handle matters, myself, including getting permission to work, getting enrolled in IMSS, getting established with the tax office, getting an INAPAM card, and dealing directly with government representatives in establishing my work, which took repeated meetings with the decision makers involved, including two from Chetumal. This fact may explain part of my satisfaction in being here, as I haven't had to cope with the frustrations that can come from using intermediaries, and I've been able to see the personal responses of the people involved, see how they work, and see the results of my visits, myself.

People here can get things done surprisingly fast, once they are motivated, but it can take a long while to get them motivated! I spent months getting to a point where I suddenly got an email urgently requesting that I start work within the next week. Doing things, deciding things, calling meetings, etc., at the last minute, seems common, here.

There have been a few annoyances I've experienced, so far, which I reported on the threads, http://www.cancuncare.com/forum/living-cancun-riviera-maya/14776-what-gets-your-goat.html and, http://www.cancuncare.com/forum/living-cancun-riviera-maya/13982-avoiding-ripoffs.html

There appear to be gaps in the health care available, here, but I knew there would be, coming in, and I didn't want to live in Merida.

Spanish has been a challenge, but I seem to be getting the better of that, now. Anyone planning to come here intending to do anything more than relax should probably try to get a head start on learning Spanish: all of the most important interactions I've been involved with were conducted entirely in Spanish, including the ones relating to my work, and getting permission to work.

Cancun is not a particularly cheap place to live if you try to live reasonably comfortably by U.S./Canadian standards (it can be, if you don't), but it's probably not more expensive than the U.S./Canada, either, with some things costing more, and some less. As we choose to live here, it's a little cheaper, for us, since we don't need a car, like we would in the states. We go to the U.S., from time to time anyway and, when we do, we stock up on those things that are cheaper there for quality goods (clothing, shoes, and electronics/accessories, mainly), as many do.

As far as personal safety goes, I've not had a single incident, yet, in which I felt physically threatened, though I'm often out in "bad" parts of town (Corales, and SM 92), taking cabs frequently and sometimes public buses, at night as well as during the day, in connection with my work. No one has harassed me on the streets, aside from those selling tours to tourists (and not one of them has refused to take "no" for an answer), and one American guy who seems to get by here by "selling" his sad story to tourists, who turn money over to him, believing his story. He's probably bumped into me a total of six times, so far, twice on the same day on one occasion. He supposedly has been here for several years, perfecting and practicing variations on his story.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  2. Kennypro

Kennypro Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My wife and I are newbies to Cancun and have been living here for one month. We are originally from the U.S. (Kansas and Virginia via Nashville , Tn) We were living in Vietnam ( Dalat, Mui Ne, Saigon) for the past three years.I am a PGA Golf Professional and we moved here for my job. Currently the Director of Golf at Caiman Golf Club at Puerto Cancun. We chose to live in town as we could get more house for the peso and have more of a local flavor than the Hotel Zone. We did the same in Vietnam and experienced much more than if you isolate yourself in a resort atmosphere. The two tiered system of charging tourists more than locals exists everywhere so my advice is quit worrying about it and figure out the best way to cope. Learn the language and use vendors that recognize you over time and it will get better. So far so good as the locals have been extra friendly and excepting in our neighborhood. Life is an adventure so don't get caught up in the negative. You are generally happy or not regardless of where you live. We hope to be here for quite sometime and realize that we will have circumstances that are great and some will be bad. Just make the best and enjoy. The bad stuff makes for great stories later on.

3. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Kennypro:

Great post and a great attitude. Keep coming back!

4. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Turkish Airlines

Steve, I was so amused to see Turkish Airlines advertising on your website. Are they flying to Cancun, now? I've had a lot of memorable visits to Istanbul which, when I lived in Kazakhstan, was my contact point with the developed world and where we went to get away, have medical care, etc.

I thought I'd offer an update on that most surprising of services in Cancun, the Mexican Post. Few have given it a serious try, I suspect, though I've been using it for many months, now, and had nothing go missing, either direction. I use it for my business and personal correspondence. All of my mail is sent from the U.S. via the U.S. and Mexican mail services. Mail in this direction takes about 7-14 days, typically; mail going to the U.S. is faster, taking typically 5-10 days.

During the eight to nine months I've been using it I've received, among other things, two credit cards through the mail, one of them activated before it was mailed! That envelop bore several official Mexican postal inspection stamps, so I expected the worst, but the contents were intact, and the letter had been resealed after inspection.

I still wouldn't use the Mexican Post for something where guaranteed delivery, or speed, were important, but it seems to work surprisingly well for most things.

5. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Some more pleasures....

One of the great things about living here is that the weather, almost year round, is conducive to getting out and getting some exercise.

One way to use this to advantage is to walk/run from the entrance to the HZ to the Kin Ha Condominiums. It's a total of 8.5 KM, so it's further than I will walk/run, but after reaching a point where you're satisfied with your morning workout, you can catch a bus the rest of the way- then enjoy a buffet breakfast, in the open air, looking out across a beautiful pool/garden area to the powdery white sand and emerald sea beyond, with Isla Mujeres in the distance.

Add the latest USA Today, and you've got a wonderful way of getting your day off to a good start.

6. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    First "job"

It will soon be 15 months since my wife and I began living here. We never vacationed here before we made the choice to live here and we had spent only one night, but we were impressed enough on that brief visit to give it a try. (If you're curious about why we wanted to settle down in this part of the world, have a look at the first posts in this thread.)

I've been self-employed most of my life, and I've continued that approach here, and will continue to do so. However, I had a chance to apply for a pretty nice position, locally, so I did, and was lucky enough to be offered the job.

That's kind of how it's been for us, mainly getting nice outcomes for our efforts, and being treated better than we deserved. In general, we're more or less satisfied with our choice of Cancun as a place to live. HOWEVER, if there's anything lacking, for us, it's the kind of cultural life you see expressed in other parts of Mexico, where there is a longer history. Visit any of them, Oaxaca, for example, or nearby Merida, and the contrast with Cancun will be a jolt to the senses.

Many of you are aware that "Cancun" is a "new" city, created in response to the plan to develop the hotel zone as the major tourist mecca for Mexico. Because of this, there are no historic buildings, great cathedrals, symphony orchestras, opera houses, good museums, or good libraries to be found. We're left with exercising in the mornings and going to movies as our main "entertainment", aside from the usual visits to restaurants and bars which would be part of life, anywhere.

There is something surprising to me about this. Many of the people who've come here are educated and sophisticated people, and you would think they would have brought part of that cultural heritage with them- to form small orchestras from among those who enjoyed making symphonic music, for example, or creating choirs or amateur acting troupes, but it just doesn't seem to have happened.

Perhaps some of you are aware of some more culturally rich activities that are taking place, unbeknownst to us, here in Cancun: if so, please tell us!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2010
  7. Cancun Fun

Cancun Fun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You mean dancing in conga lines while having cheap tequila poured down your throat isnt your kind of cultural experience?

8. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Culture is where you find it

I just knew I was missing something! :wink3:

9. Gringation

Gringation Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    V - Once a year, Xcaret does the "Travesia Maya", where they recreate the old Mayan tradition of crossing from Playa del Carmen to Cozumel. They set up a market area with cool souvenirs, then you walk through the park which is set up like a Mayan village (kids running around, people working, hauling things, etc... very cool). In the evening there's a huge performance on the water, where they show a Mayan village getting attacked, a battle, some religious rites, etc etc. I went last year and it was pretty fun (except we had to wait 1.5 hours on bleachers for the show to start)

10. Pablo"Charlie"

Pablo"Charlie" Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm most recently, had this idea to sell everything then I have , and move back to Mexico... actually I'm Mexican, who happen living in USA for more then 14 years...
    well as far I'm tired to not see new opportunities here, and seen Cancun as a good option to start a new living...
    I been reading all the post here, and seen there is some good and bad points but I like them because it helping me see if I can to make my decision to move there...
    any good advise and well some contacts in How to start (Job related issues, Housing , etc,)... a new living In Cancun.. I will highly appreciated....
    even any Job related opportunity for me... I will considering !!

Thanks...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice