Why do you live in Cancun?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Oct 6, 2009.

1. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have a couple of friends who tried to make the move to Cabo, couldn't afford it. Same company, same job and even a higher salary (it was a transfer) but in the end the rent and amenities forced them to leave and return to QRoo.

2. mrbear

mrbear Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    regarding corruption,
    It not to different here in the states right now, only here it’s what could be called legalized corruption. A DUI, right now runs about $ 5,000 dolls, a red light about $300 doll and there is a red light camera almost in every other corner. The governator just gave the ok, to install speed cameras in Los Angeles, which will generate millions of dollars in fines to Angelinos. Imagine paying a $65,000 pesos in fines for driving drunk down avenida KuKulcan. So why ask for a bribe when it is already build into the system, it’s like going to eat at a restaurant, in which the tip is already calculated into you bill.

3. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Uhmm... or you could just not drink and drive to start with...

"legalized corruption"? Sounds like an oxymoron to me.

I hate traffic cameras as much as the next speeder, but unless they are setup to falsely accuse people I don't see the corruption, and even then it would be more of a scam than "corruption". As for $5,000 for a DUI if you're talking about lawyers and fines, I'd see that is the cost of breaking the rules and getting caught, unless you're suggesting making a payment to the judge, which obviously would be corruption.

I'm just having a hard time seeing you're comparison.

4. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I reckon $5,000 is cheap considering you are risking EVERYONE around you when driving drunk.

5. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    [Attitudes have hardened towards DUI in the U.S., which is undoubtedly good; but, as with many laws, we must be careful not to destroy lives, trying to save lives. Sometimes the criminal law becomes so harsh and unforgiving that it creates more harm than it was designed to limit. But, I want everybody to know, I didn't move to Cancun to escape harsh treatment of DUIs in the U.S.- even though I'm from Texas where, until 1987, it was legal to drink and drive (it was not, even then, legal to drive drunk, judged by the legal standard of the day, but you could sip a cold one while driving without violating the law, long after it was illegal in other states.)]

6. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I had a sociology prof in college who said that eventually any country puts in place enough laws that society becomes too restrictive...and you need a revolution to clear the slate again, so to speak. Some would consider his thinking dangerous, that was doubtless why he was jailed back in the 60's for being a Commie sympathizer. But he did have a point.

It's also worth looking at how much income states get from DUI offenders, I think it's quite a good revenue. They get to make money while "making things safer." So it looks like a win-win to the public.

7. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    [Yes, indeed, well conceived laws, adequately enforced, should be good for the society, as that's their goal, after all. When it comes to the criminal law, though, punishments tend to fall more heavily on the poorer classes. Take a significant fine like we're talking about: $5,000.00 for some would be loose change; a disaster for others, less fortunate- yet the violation the same, with the same risk of harm to all concerned. It's tricky to balance all that, and the less well educated, and poorer people, tend to suffer disproportionately when the criminal law is applied to them, though their crime, no worse.]

8. rawkus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Even more reason not to drink and drive I would think :)

I have NO sympathy for drunk drivers, regardless ethnicity, age, economical status etc.

In Sweden we had (might still have..) a system regulated by your yearly income.

For a person that makes lets say 200 000 $US/year a DUI would be more expensive than for someone that makes only 100 000$US/year.

The fine would be decided depending on your income.

9. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    [Very humane, as I would expect of an enlightened country, like Sweden.]

[To us from the U.S., your salary comparison provokes a chuckle!]

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  10. rawkus

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    V: I think thats very "fair" in a way :)

@Salaries: The examples are really GOOD salaries, plus they are pre-tax, which when I last lived at home in Stockholm, were some 38%...

The further away from the biggest cities you live, the less you make.

But we dont really mind paying taxes since it goes to good things, usually, ha ha :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice