Why do you live in Cancun?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Oct 6, 2009.

1. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We have unlimited national long distance on our Telmex landline here, and it includes DF, I'm certain. Not sure if CableMenos has that service or not.

I agree with your other points, the quality of services here is low even if the price isn't that high.

And then there's lack of public safety here. And the impossible amount of corruption.

I do like the weather here. And the availability of lots of big jets headed north. Those are nice.

And I love how easy it is to get involved in satisfying charity work here (because there's so much wrong here that needs fixing).

2. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We have unlimited calls within Mexico including the DF. We also have 200 minutes to the US each month included, 1.19 pesos a minute after that and 2.39 pesos a minute for the rest of the world. We have a 4MB internet connection which is sufficient for streaming movies, Skype video, etc.

If you want United States television (we watched the Super Bowl on NBC 4 New York), contact Hodamayo on this board. He can hook you up with whatever package and recorder combo you want, including HD if you have room for the antenna. The installation is very "PROFESSIONAL". He knows his stuff.

Things here aren't as bleak as they used to be, and continue to improve each year. It's still more expensive than stateside, but if you were looking for bargains, why'd you move here of all places? There are far more economical locations to live in Mexico than Cancun, but you'll pay for the ancillaries no matter where you live.

3. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Mixz1 wrote:
    Interesting you should say that. Just a few days ago I read an article that said it was more expensive to live here than in Mexico City.

4. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Heard that Cancun was ranked the 3rd most expensive city in all of Mexico.

I couldn't catch the top 2, but Im certain that the Baja California-area would be up there...

5. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Seems like DF has higher property values than Cancun, from what I've seen. But lots of other things there seem cheaper, like tamales.

6. coby

coby Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised to find out that La Paz or Los Cabos is more expensive than Cancun. I was surprised by prices there.

7. Life_N_Cancun

Life_N_Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm not sure how they arrive at the "most expensive" results.. but I know Cancun has been right up near the top ever since I've been here. Were it not for the %5 tax break that Q.Roo has, it could very well lead the rankings.

As we all know the cost of living is relative. If you can do without "American Luxury" its very affordable to live here. If you want to have everything just like you had it "back home" expect it to cost more.

Rent is generally cheaper here than in the States, but what you get is of a lower quality.
    Electricity is cheaper here if you use next to no power, if you want A/C and other power hungry comforts, it's higher.
    Restaurants, are comparable so long as you avoid the high dollar tourist places.
    General food prices can go either way depending on what you want, imported goods are high, local products are cheaper.
    Insurance doesn't exist... or at least not as a mandatory thing, so that cost can be deffered if you dont mind being un-or-under-insured.
    General medical care is less here, specialized high level care is unavailable or insanely expensive, and hospitals will let you die in the lobby if you don't have cash, so thats a mixed bag.
    Cable and Internet is about 10 years behind the US as far as services offered and speeds. Some prices were mentioned a few posts ago.
    Telephone services both mobile and land line are some of the most expensive in the world, thanks to Mr. Slim, but seem like they are getting more reasonable at least for land lines, in country.
    City water costs next to nothing, garbage collection is free, roads are terrible, the ocean is beautiful, the weather is nice, people lie and steal like there's no tomorrow, no one is responsible for anything, stray animals roam the streets, the police will rob you, beer is cheaper than water, cherry coke is impossible to find... and so on....

All things considered, I'd rather be here than in the States, and while I bitch and moan with the best of them about all the problems in Mexico its because I care, not because I wish I wasn't here. Even with all of the nonsense that you have to put up with to live here, I still think that people have less stress and are generally happier here day-to-day than in the States.

8. elleboogs

elleboogs Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

9. SCMcons

SCMcons Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We have used him as well. Very professional and are satisfied with everything.

10. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We have friends who live in Mexico City and have vacation homes here who have said that for as long as we know them. They also say that the quality of fruits, vegetables, breads and meat is far better in Mexico City than here in Cancun.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice