Why arent the authroities screening departing passengers?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Steve, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Is a question I'm going to be asked tonight for a BBC interview. Not really sure I have an answer for that, any ideas?

2. TraceyUk

TraceyUk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    Im flying back to UK Wednesday via the States- happy to update you on what, if any ,questions screening we go thru.
    Tracey

3. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Why aren't the Mexican authorities screening passengers?

I'm sure they have to be mate? I can't believe they would be so irresponsible as to not screen the passengers?

4. elleboogs

elleboogs Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I heard they were looking for signs of flu like symptoms, i also heard they are asking ppl to voluntarily admit they have these symptoms... Don't know if any of it's successful, but this is what I've heard...

5. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Lack of equipment, lack of training, lack of efficiency, lack of funds.

This is a question for SALUD (Secretaría de Salud): http://portal.salud.gob.mx/
    or for
    SENASICA (Servicio Nacional de Sanidad, Inocuidad y Calidad Agroalimentaria): http://148.243.71.63/

SENASICA is the only health-related authority with offices at the Cancun airport. SENASICA is the agency directly in charge of protecting Mexico FROM disease or contamination from incoming germs. Their mission is more to protect Mexico's agriculture than it's people. It is my understanding that their staff at the airport is not made up of doctors but does have some veterinarians on it.

SALUD is the agency that SHOULD be screening passengers and protecting their health. But they do not have an office at the Cancun airport and, so far, have not begun an operation there that we know about.

6. lambert13

lambert13 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Because it's easier to let someone else do it?

Like Rivergirl said, it seems like they are relatively unequipped to do anything proactive on short notice like this.

7. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My guess is that they have no right to do it.

8. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'll bet Jim is right. There are probably 15 miles of red tape between the people/agency who could do the screening and the passengers who would be screened.

9. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Thanks all, I was thinking what really can they do even if they were allowed to / had the equipment and training etc?

You cant just listen out for random sneezes and coughs or stick a thermometer in everyones mouth and force them to stay behind if it turns out high.

I'll be on in about half an hour, I think you can listen live at:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/

10. Jamie

Jamie Mayor of Temptation Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,168 / 5
    And what if they found somebody that was sick? Could they really stop them from returning home?

Jamie

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice