Who's best: Executive, Econo-car or Kipp Rent-a-car?

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by davisod, Feb 20, 2007.

1. davisod

davisod Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My short list is down to 3 and so I'm taking a survey. Who's best: Executive, Econo-car or Kipp Rent-a-car?

2. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My vote goes for Executive. Over the years I have tried many but I have stuck with Executive through thick and Wilma.

My trick is to make the reservation online when you can usually get an Atos for $13 per day plus insurance and THE INSURANCE IS DEADLY.

Then I send an email to Aron at the reservations email address and ask if he can upgrade me. Usually the answer is yes; up one step to a Tsuru. Mention to Aron(if you want) that you are a friend of mine and that I suggested you contact him.

Anyway, that is my vote.

Also, you can save 10% or so if you pick the car up downtown, on Yaxchilan. Directions on request. The reason is that they double dip the taxes on you if you pick it up at the airport. Now that I think about it, I believe there is an extra 10% airport tax plus a 2% concession fee or some such thing.

What happened to the car you thought about buying?

OH YEAH. BE SURE TO GET AN EMAIL CONFIRMATION INCLUDING DATES AND TOTAL COST. CHECK FOR MATH ERRORS. PRINT THE FINAL COPY IN CASE YOU HAVE ANY ISSUES. NEVER SIGN THE CONTRACT OR THE CREDIT CARD SLIP UNTIL YOU HAVE THE CORRECT RATE ON THE CONTRACT, AND THEN ON THE FINAL CREDIT CARD WHEN YOU BRING THE CAR BACK.

3. davisod

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My email correspondence with Executive was with a guy named Enrique. Is he known to u, TJ? Regarding buying a car, I think I'm losing my hutspa b/c I liked the "trick" u mentioned, but I can't summon the nerve to try it. Getting old I guess.

4. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I know who Enrique is but Aron is "da man."

And if you encounter Tristan, just slap him and don't say a word. I mean the part about not saying a word. The guy is a complete jerk. He has been to me but I won the battle and just the other day he was a jerk to a friend of mine who did a walk in rental, as opposed to an advance reservation. My friend took the car back on the same day. Two days later he checked his credit card statement online and there was a "TEMP" charge for $458 dollars as some sort of deposit. This guy said he would not take the charge off until 7 days from when the car was returned.

My suggestion is to send your email with: ATENCION: ARON in the subject line. I would bet that Aron will reply to you. Balls to the wall, man.

5. davisod

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I emailed Aron and am awaiting his reply. In the meantime, I'm hearing from Zipp regularly.

What about Zipp, TJ? Their guy Joseph Coleman is offering to match either Executive's or Econo-Car's best deal, item-for-item.

6. davisod

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You're right TJ - Aron's da man, b/c he wrote that "MY REGULAR PRICE FOR AN HYUNDAI ATOS WITH A/C 2007 IS $240 WEEKLY RATE THAT INCLUDES CDW,TAXES AND UNLIMITED MIELAGE", but for me................., well it's perhaps not something he wants everyone to know, but it's a fair bit less - thanks to u TJ.

7. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I know nothing about Zipp. Exec is a known quantity. I would wonder about someone who would just match the price of others. Why is his price not right to start with? Let him get his own customers is what I say.

I don't know what the internet rate is for an Atos but last time I checked it was $10. CDW was $17, then a 2% license fee and then 10% tax on that total.

BUT and a big BUT, is that if you rent for a week, then 1 day is free. I it is pay for 6 and the 7th is free. BUT, that is only on the base rent. The insurance is still for 7 days.

If that is the case, then the Atos should be $60, the insurance will be $119 = $179; 2% would be $3.58 = $182.58 plus 10%, or $18.29, or TOTAL = $200.87. I think he is close but maybe one of us made a math error.

Leave me out of the loop at this point with Aron but I suggest you check your dates on the website and see how it compares with Aron's quote - and then, ask if he can upgrade you to a Tsuru, a slightly bigger and better car.

Keep us posted and good luck.

8. davisod

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    IS HAVING COLLISION DAMAGE WAIVER (CDW) INSURANCE INCLUDED IN THE PRICE SUFFICIENT?

I SEE SOME CAR RENTAL PLACES OFFERING TO INCLUDE PERSONAL ACCIDENT (PAI), PERSONAL LIABILITY (PLI) ALONG WITH THEFT PROTECTION INCLUDED IN THE PRICE.

9. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Do you mean "sufficient" in terms of price or in terms of insurance?

If price, what are the daily rate and CDW rate for the dates you want the car when you look it up on their website? Then the answer will be obvious.

If your question means in terms of insurance, only you can answer that.

Good luck.

10. davisod

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    When I say sufficient I was thinking of the "authorities" b/c it's been said that - and this may be an urban-myth - that if u r in an accident there, and don't have every auto coverage available, that the police will take u to jail till things get sorted out. I think that I'd rather get West Nile than that. So sufficient to prevent said arrest & detention - if true.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice