WHICH INTERNET/PHONE/CABLE TYPE TV SERVICE IS BETTER?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by T.J., Sep 21, 2008.

1. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ok you guys and gals. Which is better, Cablemas or Telmex, for internet? Or is there any difference. I think we pay $599 for the 2GB from Telemex but Cablemas has the package deal for $999 for basic cable, a decent phone package and the 2GB service for internet.

They also have a plan that they don't advertise or have in their brochure. I think it is called Emocion Digital Plus, which I think is a better price if you want a lot of TV options.

By the time I put the pricing on a spreadsheet to see which combination is the cheaper price, it may be a moot point if that is not the best product.

The $999 is only the basic channels, so does not include the Plus package, the International pkg, ABC and NBC, or the Premiums like HBO, Cinemax etc.

But has anyone switched from one to the other? From CM to TM or TM to CM? Which product is the best if money is not factured in your decision? And WHY???

Let's make it even more confusing. How about the Dish Network? What do you get here in terms of US network programming, HBO type stuff, ESPN type stuff, Fox, CNN etc.?

If you were putting together the perfect mix of TV, Phone and High Speed Internet, what would you do?

Thanks,

2. cunspin

cunspin Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have Telmex for internet and Cable for TV I would/will change to Dish network in the near future. I hated internet with Cablemas.

3. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Dish Network is the way to go. I have the America's 200 with HBO and Showtime and the CBS, ABC, NBC and PBS feeds out of New York for about 70 USD a month. I have a "dual" receiver which allows me to watch different programming on 2 sets, each with its own remote control. The package also includes a bunch of Sirius Radio channels as well.

Look for Mike Mayo on this forum or PM me for his contact info. Of course if you want Mexican programming, you're not going to get it, but you can route a regular antenna through the Dish receiver and get over-the-air (OTA) local programming in tandem with the satellite feed.

The 2k TelMex ADSL package is very reliable. They had a week's worth of infrastructure problems earlier this year, but in general it's rock steady, you get the speeds you pay for, and unlike cable, speeds don't fall off as user load increases.

4. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Rumour is that Telmex will soon be offering high quality TV through their fibre optic system locally. Not sure how soon is soon though.

5. Windknot

Windknot Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I know nothing about Cancun, but here in Veracruz, a lot of folks lose their cable, just during a norte. (cold front) when the winds can gust to near-hurricane strength. I currently use SKY, and only have a problem during really heavy rain. I also use Telmex for internet and phone, and pay 600 pesos/month for both. I like the internet....it's fast enough, and I can use a laptop anywhere in the house, since it's "sin cable."

Are there 2 satellite options in Cancun??????? (SKY and DISH Network)

Which is the best??????

6. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    High quality out of sync badly subtitled one year old programming?

7. SamCancun

SamCancun Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Would definetely avoid Cablemas, they had it in the house here when i arrived last year and it was a 1gb connection, however it performed like a 56kb dial up connection regulary. The TV on Cablemas is very poor, personally i have never seen anyone with an option to select a program, it is a case of skipping through the channels until you get what you want, i also think there are like 4 channels in English, from what i have seen the system is so basic, it has no back end so you can plan what you want to watch and no language selection option, i have also often seen very poor reception on some channels with an image of another channel in the backgroud of one. Sky TV here isn't great but it beats Cablemas hands down, however i would go with the Dish TV network if you watch a lot of television and go with Telmex for internet and phone, although we've had a few blips, the connection is fairly decent, I think i have 1gb and download from the web at approx 150kb a second, however uploading speed is very, very slow if you have files to send up to the web. When you consider my boss has a 10gb connection and the download speed is regularly 350kb a second, that isn't bad for 1gb at all.

8. SamCancun

SamCancun Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Only if we're lucky and if they're feeling really generous, we can also hope for a completely different program to what is being advertised on screen!

9. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The "option" to choose Dish over Sky is really a choice based on your personal preferences as to what you want to see in your home. Sky Mexico is for the most part Mexican and Latin American programming and Spanish is the primary language. There is some United States content, but it is not current. It is almost always one season out of date. Sky suffers from technical issues brought about mostly because it is underfunded and its "head-end" facility is deficient in much of the current equipment used for satellite-based TV services.

Dish Network provides United States based content, primarily in English and uses state-of-the-art broadcast and transmission facilities. There are weather outages in heavy rain because of the shallow angle to the satellite, and you need a larger dish to catch the weaker signal received down here.

Dish Network, by United States federal laws, is not allowed to provide service outside the United States, but by virtue of the laws of physics and to a certain extent finances, Dish cannot limit the overspill of its satellites' signals to the strict borderlines of Cancada and Mexico. Some of the satellites have larger overspill footprints than others. Fortunately the satellite parked at 119 degrees west carries the majority of their programming and its footprint appears here in Cancun (but not well in Merida).

With the proper equipment you can receive these signals in parts of Mexico and various locations in the Caribbean. You must have a United States address for billing purposes. Dish has no way to tell where the dish actually is located.

A regular contributer here in the forums is the vendor for that service. If you want contact information, PM me.

10. bncancun

bncancun Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I use cablmas for my phone, cable and internet. Never really any problems (Except the ocasional internet iteruption, which only lasts about an hour)
    They offer you free international calling within North America (If you pay your bill on time).
    Te cable no problem, but then again I'm not into this HDTV stuff, so I really don't care about that to much. (Until I buy a Plasma HDTV).
    Let's see I just got my bill, I called the US four times, and Canada twice and the total for all (Ineternet, Phone and Cable) is $790pesos.
    I guess it really depends what YOU want. HDTV, 700 channels, then Sky. Fast Interent, I am running on 2gb, not 1gb. Telephone, well don't really use it much but it seems to work fine and free calls home helps.
    But that is just my opinion. If you got the money go with sky, and whatever Internet service service your needs and Telmex, but hey that is a hell of a lot of different bills to pay, I get one and go to Oxxo and pay it. :cool:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice