Which Hotel??

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by OrthoGuy, Feb 20, 2008.

1. OrthoGuy

OrthoGuy Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have it narrowed down to 2 choices:

The Riu Palace & Dreams.

Which would you choose? Pro & Cons? Who has better food and so on...

Thanks!

Mike

2. EngineerGuy

EngineerGuy I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
  3. OrthoGuy

OrthoGuy Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the tip....but I already checked those out. Not much recent info on the Riu.....I would like to hear from someone who stayed at both and prefer one over the other. They both sound like great places that's why I am still unsure on which one to pick.

Mike

4. apple

apple Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    honestly i dont think you can go wrong ith the riu palace

5. Golden

Golden Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We've stayed at the RUI Palace. The food is good. The best of the AI's we've been to so far. I loved the layout and convenience of everything. The beach is small but fine. If that dreadful smell was gone, I'd stay there again in a heartbeat!

Here is my review from Christmas of 06.
    http://cancun-hotels.tripadvisor.co...ce_Las_Americas-Cancun_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

I have done a ton of research and we are trying the Fiesta American Grand Coral Breach this time around.

6. Golden

Golden Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    P.S. Dreams is featured in this month's Caribbean Travel and Life Magazine.

7. CancunViaCO

CancunViaCO Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Riu Palace is great, but the RIU chain has a tendency to over book. I have been to the Palace once and to the Cancun 5 times. Once at the Cancun we were sent to the Caribe for one night because they overbooked the hotel. People from the Palace we also sent with us. Since I was with my buddies it was a pain but it worked out ok. I could see how this could suck if you have kids. On all other visits I have seen other sent to the Caribe (fortunately my flights get in early). And as far as I know the RIU does not offer anything compensation for the inconvenience. I not knocking the Palace since I am going again this May and I know the risk, but if this does not sound appealing or if you have a family I would try Dreams.

8. NormsKid

NormsKid Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    A LOT of hotels overbook, it's not something that is unique to the RIU chain. The airlines do the same thing.....it keeps capacity to 100% as much as possible.

To avoid getting bumped to another resort, it's always a good idea to catch a flight that gets you to the resort before noon. That way your request for a room is at the top of the pile instead of "in the mix" or God forbid "at the bottom of the pile."

This strategy also keeps you to a minimum amount of time in customs and immigration.

Just a thought...

Michelle

9. 212eric

212eric Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This is really an interesting choice between two very different styles of resorts. One is very upscale with high end furnishings mostly in the common areas (statues, carpets etc., etc.), quiet and with incredbile food - RPLA. The other, Dreams, has two beaches, good restaurants and more of a modest approach to decor. Without a doubt, the difference between these two resorts is that the Riu Palace Las Americas is a higher end resort, while the Dreams Resort is the only resort that offers its very own on premises dolphin program.

CANCUN TOP 100
    212eric

10. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The current at the Dreams will be much stronger than at the Riu. Kind of rocky after Hurridcane Dean took some of the beach I suppose.

The Riu beach itself is smaller but the pool area is very nice. If kids are involved I would suggest Riu.

Riu is also more convenient for catching a bus and is pretty much brand new, while Dreams is a rehab of an older building.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice