WHERE TO FIND CHEAP RESTAURANTS AND CHEAP SUPERMARKETS?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by misterno, Jun 4, 2007.

1. misterno

misterno Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the info

So how far is this Mercadao 23 place from downtown Cancun or where the hotels are?

2. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Mercado 23 is at the northern end of what I consider to be the downtown commercial area. The hotels are (mostly) not downtown, they are out on the 7-shaped island (called the hotel zone).

3. misterno

misterno Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    So how can I go from the downtown Cancun hotels to this Mercado23 place? Of course the cheapest way please... :)

4. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    MERCADO 23 - Take the R-1 bus to downtown. When it turns right onto Av. Tulum get off at McDonalds which is the first stop AFTER the traffic circle. Cross at the raised crosswalk, where pedestrians have the right of way. Turn right along Tulum and when you come to a street called Cedro, take a left. At the end of the first block you will be at the mercado.

5. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you want to make any sense of what TJ says, or of Cancun itself, you'll need a map of Cancun.

6. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ok RG. You are so typically female about directions.

Misterno - Check this out. Where you see SM 23 at the top center, this is where you want to end up. Just turn down the street called Cedro. Not Cerdo, which is Pig, which I think Rivergirl may have called me once.

http://www.caribbean-on-line.com/cn/cnmap.shtml

You are coming from bottom right on the map on Av. Coba & will take a right onto Av. Tulum. You see the traffic circle, called a "glorieta" and the McDonalds is just after it, where you see SM2.

FYI, SM is Super Manzana, which is a region or a neighborhood.

Oh yeah, when you are done, walk back past the bus station and cross Uxmal. At the first corner you will see Club Sandwich Cafe with a green awning AND WITH $1 BEERSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. The buses back to the Hotel Zone stop almost in front of this place. Just wave down an R-1 or any that say Zona Hotelera on the front.

This should clear it up. Or you could travel like Rivergirl which is to grab a glass of sangria, jump in a taxi and tell them where you want to end up. (She knows I am teasing her) Hey Kimber, did you ever pick up that Flash Drive for Deana?

7. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Why on earth is a Super Manzana a neighborhood? It means Super Apple in English, what does that have to do with anything? Oh, I know, it's because Cancun's city planners were a bunch of fruitcakes, crazy as loons...

8. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We are not alone. The term is also used in Spain and throught South America. A manzana is a block of mixed type buildings, i.e. residential and commercial. A super manzana (or supermanzana) is compound of buildings that conforms to the more traditional sense of a European block, but spread out over several "blocos" as they say in Rio.

As for the choice of "manzana" as the operative word; I can only agree with RiverGirl. Plus, you only have to see what's going on in the ZH to realize the same fruitcakes are still in charge.

9. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    In Peru, "playa" means "parking lot". Interesting concept when giving directions to a taxi driver.

10. misterno

misterno Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You guys making me laugh.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice