WHERE TO FIND CHEAP RESTAURANTS AND CHEAP SUPERMARKETS?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by misterno, Jun 4, 2007.

1. misterno

misterno Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    and you never got sick doing that??????

2. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I got a Hepatitis A vaccination before coming precisely so I could eat out and not worry. And I've never been sick here, not with stomach stuff anyway. In fact my health improved measurably when I moved here.

3. misterno

misterno Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I know this must be addressed in a different topic but would you recommend getting Hepatitis A vaccination before going to Mexico?

Especially somebody like me who is interested in eating from street vendors and cheap restaurants :)

4. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I did it when I decided to move here. If I were just visiting I probably would not. But if you want to eat tacos in the street for half your meals maybe you ought to consider it.

Some of staying healthy here is knowing what's safe and what's not. Eating raw leafy things with lots of surface area is not going to be as safe as eating limes, which are a natural antibacterial, just for example.

So when you visit that taco stand skip the cilantro and use lots of lime juice, if you do that you aren't likely to get sick.

The big thing is to stay away from raw leafy things unless you trust that they've been properly cleaned.

5. Klaw

Klaw Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've never gotten sick from eating food from the street vendors.

In fact, the only time I did get sick was after eating at the Hard Rock Cafe.

6. misterno

misterno Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    muhahahah

now that is funny, and you probably paid much more in Hard Rock cafe than the Mexican Food in a not so clean restaurant.

I did not know that there is a Hard Rock Cafe in Cancun, not that I will ever go there anyway.

Thanks for all the info guys...

7. Michael F.

Michael F. Moderator/1st CC Member Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I like their T-shirts, tho.

8. jen***

jen*** Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've never been ill from eating in little traditional places either. The only time I did get sick was after eating some fish in VIPS which is a nice clean chain restaurant!

9. misterno

misterno Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Would you like to share your little traditional places in Cancun? So we can all stay healthy and spend less. :)

10. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Misterno

I think you are looking for a Mercado 23 type of place. There are lots of produce vendors and people stand in line to get fresh meat cuts. You can also buy fresh chicaron that looks like the side of a whole hog, even with what looks like a good sized pork chop attached. Yummy.

This is my idea of what you are looking for.

Also, in front of the Elektra store at M23 you can get current DVD's for $100 Mxn for 3 of them. Of course I would never do that but if I did I would ask for Claudia who is young and has a couple of facial piercings.

As for the street vendors - we call it "Street Meat."

Cheap food where locals eat:
    Super Carne - About 3/4 pound of Arrachera, choice of baked potato or grilled onion, soda or aqua, tortillas and "fixins" for under $8 US.

Breakfast - Mercado 23, outdoor dining. Traditional food. Salbutes, panuchos, tortas, etc.

Downtown in tourist section but not many tourists go there - La Placita on Yaxchilan.

$1 beers - Club Sandwich Cafe on Tulum, about a block from the bus station. Also available at Philly Cheese Steak in the HZ, down the walkway next to and west of Plaza Caracol Mall.

Best steaks in town - um. Sorry but we have to keep that a secret but it is my new favorite place.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice