Where to donate?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by jen***, Aug 24, 2007.

1. jen***

jen*** Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Is there anywhere in Cancun that is collecting clothes, food etc for Mahajual? I've been listening to the radio but haven't heard any place in Cancun where we can take stuff. Anyone know?

2. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was just wondering the same thing...

3. Michael F.

Michael F. Moderator/1st CC Member Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
  4. jen***

jen*** Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks Michael,
    I had seen this but they leave from Playa, I have yet to find anyone collecting in Cancun and I can't get to Playa within the next few days.

5. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just got this info from one of the people at Ciudad de la Alegría:

Caritas, based in the Bread and Blanket shelter in Ciudad de la Alegría is constantly open for donations. They have been working in some of the villages around Bacalar for a long time now and so their networks and local knowledge make them a very important group in the relief effort.

Since Tuesday they have been sending small truckloads of aid at least every day, and will continue to send everything they receive. In particular, people need clothing, blankets/sheets/pillows and food aid, especially cornflour.

Ciudad de la Alegría is located on Lopez Portillo, on the left as you go west, just before ABC Concretos.

6. jen***

jen*** Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Excellent, although I'm not sure where that is. Could you give some foolproof directions?
    Thanks
    :lol:

7. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ciudad de la Alegría
    Tel: (998)898-6223
    Located at kilometer 308.6 on the road to Merida (Lopez Portillo).

First get a map out. If you are going west (towards Merida) on Lopez Portillo Ciudad de la Alegría is located shortly after the intersection where Ave. Nichupte merges with Lopez Portillo. Right at that intersection is the army battalion.

Ciudad de la Alegría is about a half a km after the army battalion on the same side (left side). It has a huge arch over its entrance, and decent signs.

There's a divider in the highway there, so you will see it as you pass it, then you will take the first retorno to get back to it.

Actually, Jen, I'll go with you if you want, just pm me.

8. jenleib

jenleib Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks Jen,

I asked the same question yesterday morning on the "Cancun info" board, and didn't get any answer.

And thanks Kim...

9. jen***

jen*** Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks Kim,
    I pm'd you.

10. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If all goes well, several of us will be making a caravan to Caritas to drop off items for the Hurricane relief effort on Monday afternoon. If you have items to donate contact me via PM or see Jen's thread about dropping off items to donate.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice