Where to Buy Snorkel Gear (mask&Fins) in Cancun or Playa

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by sunsoulstar, Feb 2, 2009.

1. sunsoulstar

sunsoulstar Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello everyone,

I have just spent all day reading many informative posts and appreciate all that I have learned from those who are in the know. Thanks, everyone.
    I am flying into Cancun in the middle of the month and would like to buy some no frills snorkeling mask and fins so that I have my own gear rather than using potentially leaky, or broken mask. I don't mind something on the moderate priced side since the gear will not be used very often. Are there any places that are better quality or prices than others, and where might they be?

I appreciate your replies.

PS Does anyoneknow of an eyeglass store where I might be able to order a spare set of prescription glasses in cancun for a discount price?

Thanks for all you do!

Elena counting the hours down until Sunshine!!
    I'm in Western Massachusetts, it is almost zero degrees and their are snow dunes outside my window.

2. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    You can buy fins and masks at Walmart, they are not pro quality obviously but good enough for occasional use. If you want better quality at a higher price then you could visit the Aquaworld building who have a store there also I believe.

3. sunsoulstar

sunsoulstar Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for your timely reply!

Thanks for the reply. Walmart will be fine for our needs this time around.

All the best

Elena

4. caracolito

caracolito Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Suggest you buy at least the mask, and probably the fins in the States if you can.

Reasons:
    Mask fit is very important to avoid constant leaking annoyance. You'll find a wider range in the States than in Mexico. Price doesn't mean much in snorkle gear: shop sporting goods stores, etc. Just make sure you get a good fit.

The slip-on "shoe" type one-piece fins are hard to find in Mexico, or of poor quality, and prized by local divers. You can probably buy a pair for twenty bucks and sell them for more down here when you're done.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice