Where do all of the locals eat?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by pocodinero, Feb 1, 2010.

1. Aussie in Cancun

Aussie in Cancun Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    what can i say i'm a shy little Aussie. :) jejejeje I saw the words indian food and i'm in..

2. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Nothing like the thought of a good curry to bring you out of your shell. ;)

There are two places:

Elefanta is in Plaza La Isla owned by the same people who own the Thai Lounge. We've only been the once (not long after it opened), it was expensive with tiny portions. Food was not too bad though, but not like 'authentic' Indian food from outside of India :). If they doubled the portion and halved the price it would be about right.

Website with menu
    caution: annoying music.
    Trip Advisor Reviews

The other place is Royal India, this is on Ave Tulum on the town hall side close to the big roundabout by Av Uxmal.

Food is hit or miss, I've been when it was great other times so, so. All the dishes (of the ones I tried) tasted the same to me. If you ask for a chicken dish make sure you specifically ask for breast meat (pechuga) otherwise the default is thigh meat. Quite a bit cheaper than Elefanta but always deserted so the waiters hover like hawks snatching up your plates within a nanosecond of you finishing or looking like you might have.

3. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think it's called "A Taste of India" on Tulum - had a takeaway from there about 3 weeks ago and it was pretty good - the Korma was really tasty!

Definitely worth a try.

4. Aussie in Cancun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you Steve and Matkirk I can taste it now... I have seen the one on Tulum along time ago from a cab window and didn't know where I was, will give it a try. There is a new hotdog vendor (i am bad with street names) a block before Mega and Costco, up from MacDonalds and the gas station.. OMG amazing $22 pesos and had all the sauces and toppings you could want with great fast service, walking distance from my home too which is even better. don't have the name of it tho... open from 6pm to 3am each day and they speak english :) :)

5. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    I've seen that place and never tried it, might have to give it a go. The road is Kabah. Are they what we would call "American Hot Dogs" with Frankfurter type sausage or are they hotdogs with real sausages like we'd know in the UK and Aus?

I probably shouldn't tell you what they served there 6 months ago but I will. It used to be owned by a Turkish guy that sold the best Doner Kebabs ever. I used to go twice a week.

6. Aussie in Cancun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Do they even have real sausages here? I miss a good old snag and bread with bbq sauce and mustered.

They are more the American style I guess with the bacon wrapped around it, i had two and my husband 3 or 4 so delicious and thanks for telling me about the place that was there before hand. I'm going to make up chilli dog one next time I go, thankfully I can walk there and back so i don't feel to bad for having them.

7. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    There's a place called "Vikingdog" on Chichen across from the Olympic pool. Have heard good things but haven't tried it.

Perhaps we need a "dog crawl" night, hitting all the hot dogs places in town, haha!

8. Aussie in Cancun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sounds like a perfect idea.. can we throw in a beer stop or two, can't have a hotdog without a beverage in hand. :daveandmo:

9. ToriB

ToriB Cancuncare Sun Care Advisor Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

SOOOOOO YUMMMY!!!! And their loaded potatoes....OH MY GOODNESS!!!! I am now sad my bf doesn't live around the corner from there anymore. I guess I'll go visit TJ!!!!

10. pocodinero

pocodinero Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    re: XB Burgers. On Wednesdays and Fridays, for the month of June all Hamburgers (Beef, Pork, Chicken) are 2x1, after 1:00pm. Just in case anyone wanted to try them out.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice