Where do all of the locals eat?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by pocodinero, Feb 1, 2010.

1. jenleib

jenleib Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I like the restaurant Atotonillo at the mercado 28. I am not a heavy drinker, it is not fancy, but food and service are excellent. I usually take pescado a la Veracruzana, with sopa de limon and bebida for 55 pesos. The waiter knows me, what I like and how. I just went there, my stomach and I are happy!!!

2. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    In Florida you can buy bumper stickers that in effect say, "IF IT IS SO MUCH BETTER BACK HOME, GO NORTH ON I-95.

Not sure of which road leads to Colorado.

3. mormis

mormis I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    when i lived there i used to go to this little restaurant called "el atajo"... dont think anyone would even pass through there... is right in front of Bahia Azul, close to Puerto Juarez... for sure the place i miss the most from cancun... cheap, great service and amazingly delicious!!!!!

and about Las de Guanatos from La Luna, i once had a roach crawling inside my pants... quite disgusting... i never went back... eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew!!!!!!

4. CancunMole

CancunMole Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    delete

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  5. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the public slam TJ. You made my whole day!

6. StorageLady

StorageLady Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    First - Thank you to everyone who contributed to the food postings - my family was so happy to get to try some new places.

Based on your suggestions, we went to the following places:

Tacos Rigo. Hands down, our absolute favorite dinner spot during the week. Loved the ambience, the vibe, the service, and the smiles.

Taqueria del Poblano - Loved the Tacos al Pastor, the other choices were tasty, but we didn't love them as much as Tacos Rigo

Los Guanatos - delicious margaritas - tried both frozen & on the rocks..Saw some most unusual items being made - one, in particular, caused us to blink: Red Ice. I think it was kind of like a beer and a bloody mary and a shrimp cocktail all in one. oh my.

Passover Seder at the Grand Real Caribe. Passionate & exciting type of a seder...

Hacienda Sisal - We were exhausted after a day at XPLOR, so opted for an easy walk to dinner rather than a long ride into town. Ceviche was great, sangria was so-so, prices were high

La Destileria - AFter the free samples from the bartender coupled with my own 22 ounce margarita, I'm not sure I can be a fair judge of the food. I think it was pretty tasty...:)

Buena Torta - Not great, but cheap

No Name Taco Place near Coral Negro flea market across from all of the night clubs. Just kind of stumbled upon this place on the recommendation of a couple of vendors to whom we overpaid for trinkets (probably hecho in China). It was just a tiny little taco place with a couple of tables, a nice spit of Tacos al Pastor, and a well-stocked salsa bar. Loaded up our tacos with all of our favorites - pineapple, cilantro, tomato salsa. Couple of the girls ladled what they thought was an avocado guacamole salsa on top of their tacos de pollo. Egads - yes, some of the green was from avocado - the rest from habaneros. MUY PICANTE!

Our favorite part of this taco bar though, were the licuadas (sp?) - the flavored water. We had both the pineapple and the melon. Our only regret was that we didn't discover the full deliciousness of these drinks until our 2nd to the last night. Love love love....

So - my tastebuds thank all of you for your insight and suggestions. My weight watchers leader thanks you for keeping her in a job.

Oh - and one more thing...we did hit up the local Costco for some basics like wine & water. But, we were thrilled with the free samples. No, not the food - they were offering samples of Cosmos!! hahaha!! What a hoot!

I'll be checking back in again before our next trip to see if there's anything new to try....

Hasta luego mis amigos neuvos!

7. ToriB

ToriB Cancuncare Sun Care Advisor Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    StorageLady, it's great that you and the family got out and really tasted Cancun. Not many people stray, and it's nice to see you were so adventurous. What you were referring to at Las de Guanatos is there Michelada. They have about 10 different flavors, with Grosella (gooseberry) being my favorite. It's like drinking a fruit soda. You should have tried one....so maybe next time!!!

8. Prowife

Prowife Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I thought I had read everything on these boards.....but I was pleasantly surprised this morning to find this one! The Pro and I (having recently moved here) love "dives" or maybe I should say the Pro loves dives and I get dragged along. Anyway - having dived/dove (or possibly diven) into places to eat in Vietnam I'm certain RG would have apoplexy over, I am printing this out as our first roadmap to local food.

9. Jim in Cancun

Jim in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I will add my most recent experience here as well.

I had been a couple of times to "Gándara" across from Costco. Their specialty is seafood and it is more inside and formal than El Oasis where I usually go a few doors down. Last week a friend bought one of the "coupon books/cuponeras" that they sell in the street for $50 pesos (he actually paid only $30) and wanted to go see if they really worked so we went.

Expecting smaller portions and lots of small print terms and conditions that make it hard to use the coupons, I was extremely disappointed!! I am happy to say!

There were a few exceptions like salmon was not included and the fancy ice cream dishes in fruit were not included but other than that, it was easy and it really worked.

All of the coupons are "2 x 1 " and the coupon books says "Total Value worth $3,300+ pesos"--yeh right! Well, seems it may be true.

We had 2 beers (the friend), 2 diet cokes, me, 2 soups (sopa de mariscos and a chilpachole de camarón for me), 2 fish filets, (one breaded and one veracruzano) and 2 helados and that was 5, 2 x 1 coupons for a total savings of $282 pesos off the bill if I calculated right. That left more for a tip for the great waitress so we all won.
    And the food was great.

10. Epic

Epic Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Las de Guanatos can be found at the Bullring, On Ave. La Luna (plaza san angel), In the Hotel Zone at Playa Tortugas (Caribbean Carnaval Pier beside what used to be Fat Tuesday), In Cozumel (another city on an island), Playa del Carmen (Across Cocobongo), Merida (In Yucatan) & opening a new one somewhere on Kabah in a couple weeks or months!!
    Yes the bread is flown in directly from Guadalajara & its called Birotes, they are different from a traditional white bread like bolillos since they are harder & last longer without getting soft after being in the soup.
    All the menus are the same except in the Hotel Zone where they have a couple of extra items on the menu such as AguaChile (your choice between Serrano, Habanero & Manzano Chile), Jalapeños rellenos con queso y camaron & a couple of other seafood dishes.

I recomend you guys try the Aguachile de Serrano since its the original version & its a shrimp cooked in lemon juice with cucumber and its eaten with totopos. Its very refreshing & the best Aguachile in Cancun.

Service wise i have always preferred Plaza de Toros since its the Flagship & First Guanatos and the staff have been there for years, Playa Tortugas staff is still quite new but the Aguachile is worth it!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice