Where do all of the locals eat?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by pocodinero, Feb 1, 2010.

1. StorageLady

StorageLady Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    that sounds so flippin fabulous! Is this served in lots of different places throughout the area?

2. ToriB

ToriB Cancuncare Sun Care Advisor Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Not they way they do it. Look up Chilada & Michelada. These are what are served in alot of places, or you can ask for the mixers to make your own. But all the flavors Guanatos serve and by the liter, which is about three beers worth is only at their locations.

3. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey Tori, Storage Lady, RG, Cancun Fun and others,

I hate the Los Guanatos on La Luna, as EVERY time I have been there the service stinks. Not so with the one at the bullring.

It is "Chelada, not Chilada. My fingers don't work all the time either but wanted to point it out since SL is to Google it.

I think RG should change her name to La Negativa. Dive, "what you talkin' about Willis?" It is not a dive. I can show you a dive. Atmosphere-who cares. The best and best bargain margs in town, bar none, at any price and with any atmosphere. It is not in the parking lot, just between 2 areas of parking. You can people watch, roam around and visit at other tables and the inside has been recently remodeled. $50 for 1/2 Lt and $100 for 1 Lt. AND FUN - Cancun Fun and I have had to have Bundy drive us home more than once. And we won't talk about the time I was telling her how much I loved her, while Bundy was shooting video that was shaky from his laughing so hard. Friends, food, booze, service, value and fun is what it is all about. No white tablecloths. Loosen up girlfriend.

Storage Lady - Tortas de Lechon (which is to pork as veal is to beef), on the near right corner of Tulum and Lopez Portillo where you would turn to go to Puerto Juarez. And drink an Agua de Melon. Good and cheap and this place is a real dive.

Tacos al Pastor (make mine a Gringa please) Outside of La Taberna on the side street on the right if facing LT, not the closest one but the one across from it. DIVE, but good and cheap. They even have seats, sort of.

Or, Tacqueria el Poblano (I think it is called) one block left of La Taberna. This one has character.

Or, to the left of Asis or that place that sells stuff that guys don't buy in Plaza Las Avenidas.

Or the old reliable Tacos Rigo.

Fish and shrimp tacos - El Timon is the winner, hands down. Tiny but you can buy a 5 pack for almost free. The one on Uxmal, close to Chichen. It has a tiny palapa and like 2 parking spaces. So walk if you have to. Not so great on a rainy day as the water runs down the wall from the roof of the next door building. All it affects is that the floor gets wet. Rarely does in drip on your tacos.

And I agree with Cancun Fun on La Playitas. Great food, service and prices and she and Bundy discovered this one and took me there a time or two.

And I also agree big time on California Pizza Kitchen. Bundy and I are professional food finders, mainly him but I have nabbed a few. He called me in Florida the 3rd day it opened and he had eaten their twice. I promptly ate there 6 times in 3 weeks. When I eat anywhere with my daughter, she reads the menu and when the server comes, she places her order and then says "my dad will have the Cobb Salad." I love these things and they rock at CPK. The small one is a full meal and 2 can share the big one.

Ceviche - under the bridge at Punta Nizuc in the HZ. From town, go over the bridge, return at the first opportunity, then down to the right as you approach the bridge. Like being at a fish camp. Bring bug spray.

4. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    No sh*t Sherlock.

I care. I care a LOT! I can't stand most of the architecture here as it is. And I do not choose to give my money to places that don't feel good to be in. Call me picky.

My mistake was going to art school...life has been downhill aesthetically ever since.

A good drink is not worth being somewhere I don't like. I don't even like drinking that much. And no one makes a better marg than I do anyway.

Ok, well, last time I was there was about a year ago...and then it was what I would consider a dive. Perhaps now it's better...though your description doesn't make me want to run out and check.

You think I should lighten up. I think you should develop some more refined tastes.

5. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    RG - Do you think the readers of this know that we love each other and enjoy this back and forth?

So you got your "refined tastes" in art school? I think my tastes are quite refined, thank you very much. If I wanted to apply them all the time, dining wise, I am in the wrong place. You ain't in Kansas anymore, Dorothy. The best margarita you ever had was in Boulder? Give me a break. That is like me saying that the best lobster I ever had was in Omaha. You need to head to Atlanta first chance you get and have a hot dog at the Varsity. LOL.

6. GONZO

GONZO Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    TJ we will be in Cancun next Thursday for 10 days, maybe you will be around and we could meet at the dive at the Bullring for a Margarita.

7. mixz1

mixz1 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Having been born and bred with the original Nathan's just a 20 minute Bronx down to Brooklyn drive away, and currently freezing in Atlanta, eagerly anticipating my return home to Cancun, I can personally assure you that the Varsity is vastly overrated. What is claimed to be the best franks and fries down here in Atlanta would be tossed onto the Reject and Give to the Animals pile in New York.

Having just returned from lunch at Mary Mac's Tea House, I have found the definitive Southern Fried Chicken and the best mashed potatoes I've ever eaten. But I digress.

8. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I can tell you all about how hard it has been for me to find acceptable dining locales in Kansas if you want...I've got a great story about trying to find a vegetarian meal in Kansas...it was impossible because even the salads came with bacon bits...not fun.

It's not that I think the US is full of places I'd want to eat, it isn't. I'm equal-opportunity picky, not just Cancun-picky.

My point is just that there are few places here that I bother to eat in. And one of my requirements for dining out here is that the place have decent lighting and doesn't depress me through total lack of visual appeal. It's NOT too much to ask. And I know damn well that plenty of my girlfriend's on this board agree with me, even if they aren't speaking up.

So I won't be seeing you around any dingy hole-in-the-wall changarros with bad lighting.

9. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,209 / 14
    Likewise. In the small suburb of Nottingham I used to live that has maybe 50,000 population I can find far more variety of food within a mile than I can find in the whole of todays Cancun and to a much better quality. It's also cheaper too.

10. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yup! Same back home in Colorado. There's a much wider variety of restaurants there, with similar or better prices and usually better food.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice