Where do all of the locals eat?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by pocodinero, Feb 1, 2010.

1. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Forgot to mention Byblos on Palenque and Tacos Israel for tacos arabes.

Now I have a craving. :)

2. TraceyUk

TraceyUk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 1
    Cheesters- for really excellent pasta and salads- good prices and huge servings.
    Tracey

3. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Have only had ONE, looong wait in La Troje, but that was in New Years :)

Absolutely fantastic food though - yummy!

@Tracey: Do you have the location of "Cheesters"?

4. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,209 / 14
    I eat at home usually, apart from weekly takeaways from the kebab place on Kabah and occasional trips to the Indian, plus McDonalds / Burger King every now and again for kids do's.

Must say I am not that impressed with the range and quality of restaurants here.

5. elleboogs

elleboogs Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    La Troje for me too!! Ate there tonight...take-out so I can't comment on the wait time!!

El Emporio de Empanadas - corner of Calle Granadillo and Calle Luceirnaga (sp?). We love it :)

6. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We love Cheester's too. They just get better and better there.

7. Susan in Cancun

Susan in Cancun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I love Ty-Coz, Pescadito's, Los Arcos, La Creperia (although service is HORRIBLE), and La Farola (but find menu to be a bit limited).

I also like Cheester's and La Troje too.

8. StorageLady

StorageLady Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Are there any recommended places in the hotel zone? We are tourists who make it into downtown frequently - but were wondering if there was anything closer for a quick bite in the afternoon..

Also - where will we find the the best traditional margaritas?? (downtown or hotel zone)

Thanks..

9. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The best margaritas I've ever had were in the US (specifically at the Rio in Bouder, CO). Hate to say it. I've never had a really good one in Mexico. But I have had some really expensive ones here.

But then margaritas are a drink made popular by American women, it's not a drink that is traditional in Mexico, except in tourist areas frequented by gringas.

10. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Storage Lady - What kind of food are you searching for in the HZ? There are many options and price ranges. I rarely go to the HZ to eat, as it is expensive compared to downtown and the drive is a hassle> But if you have kids you will love Chocolate City. Great Italian place called Madonna in Plaza la Isla. Cheap and many locals go the Fish Trittanga. From Plaza la Isla go toward the airport. You will quickly pass a tall office building and just past is a Dominos. It is around km 12 but before 13. Walk down toward the lagoon from the right side of the building where Domino's. I now always ask for Eduardo and he speaks good English. Always get good service from him. Things are like fish and shrimp tacos, empanadas, guacamole, cold beer, etc. Totally casual overlooking the lagoon.

BEST MARGARITAS - No question and I am a professional at this. Los Guanatos at the bull ring. Inside and outside seating and absolutely the best margs in town. The sign is green. The bullfights are on Wed so avoid that day or night. If you have never been there, the restaurants are on the outside of the building, on Bonampak, left at the first light after km 0 and down maybe 1/2 mile on the left.

RG - I eat at La Troje maybe 3 x per month. Mothers' Day was a pain one year but I am used to excellent service. Hey, it's Mexico and it's not like you have to punch a time clock. But I never feel less than satisfied with the service. Suggest that if you are in a hurry that you try La Trojita where you can get the same items and it is rarely busy.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice