Where do all of the locals eat?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by pocodinero, Feb 1, 2010.

1. StorageLady

StorageLady Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Three years later....

Well, it's been three years since I last posted asking for dining advice...so I thought I would stop by and see if there are any new/exciting places to try in Cancun!

I'm bringing new friends this year and was planning (if they're still recommended) on taking them to:
    Tacos Rigo
    Fish Frittanga
    Las Guanatos
    Los Pescaditos

Care to update?

Thanks!

2. DerekandKelsey

DerekandKelsey Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +151 / 0
    Why is it so expensive to eat out in Cancun then? I know restauranteurs in Canada that charge far less and live comfy lives where things are expensive. Are Mexican restaurant owners really living it up large where things are cheap then?

3. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Storage Lady - all of those places arevalived and well. Tacos Rigo is close to my house. I love their BBQ but it is often sold out by dinner time. Here the big meal, called "com idea" is mid afternoon. I need to mention a sign I saw there recently and not for the first time. Translated, it read that the day's special was tacos from mixed head parts. No, I did not and will never. Don't let that scare you away though. Their are lots of options for chicke, pork, beef, and arrachera which really rocks. It is a skirt steak that has been marinated. Yummy.

Derek - "So expensive" may be a bit of an overstatement. I think the Hotel Zone prices are not that much out of line for resort location where you spend hundreds of dollars to get here and can easily spend $2,000 US for a week in a hotel. That said, most of the expats who live here, rarely eat in the HZ because, compared to downtown, it is deadly expensive. There are many options in the areas where tourists can get to easily. There are dozens more that you would never find and be scared to go to, except fear of the unknown and gettingnoutbof the comfort zone.

One of my favorite hidden gems Va q' (abbreviation for "que") Va, serves a platter that can easily feed three people. Two shrimp options and a fish option. It costs $260 or about $21 US and that includes the tax.

Another, pretty much across from the big mall, La Troje, serves the most delicious and creative salads in town. Delicious crepes as well. Two people can easily share a salad and a crepe and have a glass (in Spanish copa, or cup) of wine. I do this often and am out the door for $400 including tip. $30-$32 US depending on how you exchange your money. The setting is nice, like an indoor garden if at the street level but the service is iffy. Doesn't matter to me as I don't go there if I am in a hurry. The food and price make up for it.

There is an out of the way steak house, Uruguayan, called El Emporio, where you get a 600 gram steak cooked on a wood burning grill. 21+ oz, 1 1/3 lbs for about $22 US. Another eay share option.

There is a nice Argentinian steak house, Fonda Argentina, that is excellent. About a 5 minute ride from the mall. Very reasonable. I love the Bife de Lomo, basically a tenderloin or a giant filet mignon. Tasty and juicy but, like the filet, not fatty enough fot these rios meat eater.

Fire away if you have a specific interest and I am sure one of us will have a recommendation. Mexican, Italian or whatever.

4. SamCancun

SamCancun Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    You have to try Bariloche, it's opposite Home Depot, near the old Cheesters but before you get around the corner on the left. The most amazing Pizza i have ever tried, Argentinian restaurant with fair prices. They have packages of 4 empanadas, a 2 litre coke and a pizza for 185 pesos. They also do amazing Choripans with great Argentinian Chorizo (not the horrible tasting Mexican kind, this stuff tastes close to real sausages). They have steaks too but i haven't tried.

TJ Were is El Emporio? How would you say it compares to La Fonda (our favorite)? We used to go to La Fonda a lot but the prices are getting stupid. Have you tried Bariloche yet, it's very close to you. I will try Va Q Va soon, maybe this weekend.

5. SamCancun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ah i think i know where you mean, is it the one next to Los de Pescado?

6. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sam,

I will try your place. Walking distance.

From Kabah go on Nichupte toward Gran Plaza. At the first light, maybe 2nd, turn left at IMMS. Go a few blocks and the road becomes divided and very wide. El Emporio is a block on so on the left. Small but nice.

7. SamCancun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks TJ! Did it move? Used to be on Tulum Avenue next to Los de Pescados in that little section where they have about 6-7 food places.

8. SamCancun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    btw TJ, we haven't forgotten you, we've just been a bit busy. Anything decent that we no longer require we are putting to one side for you.

9. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Not to my knowledge Sam. It's been behind IMMS as long as I can remember.

10. matkirk

matkirk Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Same owner - they opened the one Sam was on about as well. The one by the IMSS has a deal for arrachera, fries, beans, tortillas and a drink for 59 pesos! Monday to Friday.

Opposite is Empanada Express - same owner - delicious empanadas. 3 and a drink for 55 pesos.

I've really gone off JC Carnes by Soriana - used to like it a lot, now it's got a bit more expensive and the quality has gone down in my opinion - last 2 times I wasn't happy.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice