Where do all of the locals eat?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by pocodinero, Feb 1, 2010.

1. pocodinero

pocodinero Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What are some good, off the beaten path, "mom and pop" restaurants (or other types of places to eat) in Cancun? Could be any type of cuisine. Any favorites out there and what is the best item to order?

2. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Tacos Rigos is a fave, we eat there a lot. They've got "comida corrida" at lunch time with soup, main plate and dessert (jello, haha) and drink included, I think the price is 53 pesos. I like the cochinita tortas at "Tortas Tulum" at the bull ring, we'll often go there for Sunday breakfast. There's a place on Andres Qroo kind of kiddy corner to the Walmart out there, I don't think it has a name, just a big sign that says "cemitas" and we eat, well, cemitas (a special sandwich from Puebla, hubby is Poblano and says they're pretty authentic). There is a place across from Soriana, I think it's just called "Borregos" (never remember the names of little places, sorry!), they've got great barbacoa and lechon.

Mmm, hungry.....

3. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    We like Los de Pescado...it's a fish taco place, there's one on Tulum in SM20 just a bit south of Novedades, and one around the other side of SM20 at the intersection of Labna and Yaxchilan.

4. gbchayctca

gbchayctca Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I typically would just find the "mom and pop" places in each neighborhood I lived in, and every other neighborhood would have a similar selection, so not really worth getting into. But my two favorite places for comida corrida have been around for years and both were open when I lived in SM 27, 32, and then going back for visits. One is Luz Maria, which is at the corner of Ave Xpuhil and Av Palenque. And the other is some lady's house near the OXXO and Apple Vacations on Av Palenque. She sells food out of her house, which is one of those that's in a connected line of tiny houses and it borders that large park. Been going to both those places for years. Both do eat in and take out (but at the lady's house, sometimes you have to eat in her living room).

Yeah, I don't know names of places either, but when I'd visit my husband's apartment in Puesta del Sol on Av Konhunlich pretty close to La Luna, there were the following places right across from his house: a seafood restaurant, a place to buy pollo rostizado, and another for carnitas...and at night there was also a place to get great hamburgers.

5. lambert13

lambert13 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My god. That sounds so so so good right now. I just ate an apple and yogurt for my lunch here in cold NY. I would much rather eat tortas until I am uncomfortably full.

6. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ty Coz on Tulum by Comecial,

Super Carnes on Coba by Elektra at corner of Palenque,

Cocteleria (fish and shrimp tacos, etc) ok Kinik, a block south of Andres Quintana Roo,

Pozeleria Castillo (Thur- Sun) off Lopez Portillo, near Palenque, down the side street left of that Pemex. It is one way the wrong way if driving so turn on CTM, then 2 more rights to get there by car,

Bundy's house.

7. kathy_caribe

kathy_caribe Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    the tamal lady who hangs out at the Soriana near the City Club complex.

8. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Fredy's Empanadas on Ave La Luna are great. Fredy has a stand outside a little convenience store, right next to a Farmacia Ahorro. His stand is in SM48. He's there Mon-Fri from about 7 pm to 10 pm. Expect a line, people love his empanadas.

9. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have more.

La Troje - On Acanceh behind Sports City. Great, creative, tasty, healthy salads. Not so heathy pastas and crepas but yummy.

Next door to the right is La Trojita. You can get the same menu items as from La Troje plus Empandas that are wonnnnnnnderful and 2x1 on Wednesdays. A smaller and quieter venue if you crave and Ensalada Margarita or the like from La Troje and they are full of customers.

10. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I love La Troje, but damn do they ever have slow service. Last time we went it took hours just to get fed, and that wasn't the first time that I'd had slow service there. I just don't have that kind of time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice