When will Americans Learn?

Discussion in 'Free For All' started by Lenni & Jodie, Jan 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sil-n-Lee

Sil-n-Lee Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Make sure you you bring a snorkel to the Sexy Pool. :flagusa:

2. Lenni & Jodie

Lenni & Jodie The Unicorn Hunters Registered Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 2
    See this thread is turning into a hate speech lol. I have nothing against guns or gun ownership, I personally have no use for them or care for them. I am just tired of reading all the bs that goes along with the topic.

If you are a responsible gun owner and have gone thru all the proper channels to getting one, taken courses, and keep your gun safely locked away and the ammunition away in a seperate locked storage unit then sure. However that isn't the case.

"According to the Congressional Research Service, in 2009 there were an estimated 310 million firearms in the United States (not including weapons on military bases), of which 114 million were handguns, 110 million were rifles, and 86 million were shotguns. The current population of the United States, according to the Census, is around 314 million."

These numbers are insane and this is just the civilian population, not the military. Trying to say baseball bats, gasoline, cars, and knifes are just as dangerous is silly. Yes I understand guns aren't dangerous, bullets don't kill people, that it is people who kill people. However back to the original post on this thread, it is about using common sense with gun ownership, especially if you live in The United States considering that if you accidentally got shot, most Americans don't have either health insurance or enough health insurance to cover the cost of being accidentally shot or shot intentionally.

Let say you own a gun and you carry it around loaded with the permit, someone robs you, and you pull out your gun to defend yourself, however you end up losing it in fight and the robber now has your gun and shoots you, however you don't have enough insurance to cover the cost medical expenses, now you're out of pocket for more than what you originally had in your pocket.

Hunting is a different story, unless you hunt with Dick Chaney lol, what do you think a guns magazine should hold in rounds....6 bullets, 10 bullets, how many is too many?

By the way, I know it is hard to understand the tone of my voice while reading this, this thread is about using common sense and guns, the original link is about people getting accidentally shot by others who should of used more caution with their fire arm's at a gun show. It is not about Americans who are crazy gun weilding yahoo's, and I don't believe the stats that 80% of the people living in the USA are crazy, we're all crazy in one shape or another. But that is a totally different topic

3. Sil-n-Lee

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Did you know a wine cork fits perfectly in a snorkel?

4. Lenni & Jodie

Ratings:
    +26 / 2
    Wouldn't have the first clue, I am not a wine drinker as my snorkel is always full of Jager & Tequila shots

[​IMG]

5. Sil-n-Lee

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well here's to ya. BTW, Socks do more than keep your feet warm.

6. Lenni & Jodie

Ratings:
    +26 / 2
    [ame=]Ed the Sock uses Common Sense -- Infomercial - YouTube

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2017
  7. Jamie

Jamie Mayor of Temptation Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,168 / 5
    We Americans are wondering when you all will learn. :)

Even with guns, the US has one of the lowest assault numbers in the western world. Even the cops in the UK are learning that having a gun on patrol can save their life. I wonder if the baby seals in Canada would rather be shot once or beaten several times with a club until they die.

No one is without faults. Once you are without any, maybe then you can be sanctimonious enough to judge others.

Jamie

8. Lenni & Jodie

Ratings:
    +26 / 2
    The numbers don't lie - I just don't get it I guess - Legal or Illegal

[ame=&NR=1]Mass Shootings in America - YouTube

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2017
  9. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    I feel a "UK is the most violent country in the World" post coming on.

One of the reasons is because the US definition of assault is different to most other countries you try to compare yourselves to when discussing that stat. Always makes me laugh, when talking about violent crime rate US folks talk about the Western world (and usually quote the same UK right wing newspaper article published 3 years ago in the run up to an election). But when comparing gun deaths they compare themselves to the whole World - Somalia, Afghanistan, Yemen etc and say that it's not so bad.

Example: The reported US violent crime rate includes only Aggravated Assault, whereas the Canadian violent crime rate includes all categories of assault, including the much-more-numerous Assault level 1 (i.e., assault not using a weapon and not resulting in serious bodily harm). In the UK over half the violent crimes reported resulted in no injury. There is no universal recording method for violence/assault so any comparisons are not directly comparable.

Add in the fact that the US has a large proportion of population not close to law enforcement like Chris & Tammy above, so many incidents get unreported or unresponded and subsequently unrecorded.

What is beyond dispute is that the number of deaths due to firearms are much lower in countries with strict gun controls than those with liberal controls. Every country has the same definition of death by firearm.

10. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    I think most wouldnt disagree with that. I think they've known it a long time too, not just learning though. It's a matter of choice, there is a different method of policing in the UK compared to the US.

I'd definitely agree with guns for the Police in the UK. Guns should be for the Police and the Military only though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice