What's Cablemas up to?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, May 3, 2015.

1. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I got back from a trip to San Cristobal de las Casas Saturday and discovered that, while we were gone, my Cablemas internet speed had been cut from 10 mbs to 5 mbs; that my 42 analog stations had been cut to seven and that even for those the signal was "fuzzy."

What's up? Anybody know?

2. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Latest test of internet speed.

[​IMG]

Yesterday I confirmed with Cablemas that the speed should be almost 10 mbs. T.J. told me his speed, which had been nearly 10 mbs was, as of yesterday, just above 3 mbs.

Anybody know what's going on? Who else has had a drop in speed in recent days? T.J. and I both live in Cancun Centro.

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  3. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Here's the story as I understand it. Starting about three years ago Cablemas began telling its customers that they were soon going to suspend the analog signal on which I'd been relying and convert everything to digital: this necessitated that I have, and start using, a converter for the signal. They provided it but whether this was at an extra cost I can't now remember.

I soon realized that I didn't like the cumbersomeness of the new system, nor the fact that many of the shows we were accustomed to watching were simply not available when I used the converter; so, I decided to plug my TV directly into the cable and not use the converter, and so it went, for the next three years.

Using this approach allowed me to see the full range of programming on every TV in my house. There were at last count 29 stations which broadcast all or part of the time in English, so I was happy.

About three weeks ago, and while I was out of town, Cablemas cut the analog signal to my part of the city (Cancun Central). This forced me to drag out the converter and hook it up again. With it came the same problems in use that had made me not want to use it in the first place; but, the other problem, which is the subject of this thread, was that my internet speed had dropped precipitously.

Three calls to the tech dept of Cablemas and a visit to my house by a Cablemas technician have not completely solved the problem. In the home visit he started by testing all the equipment, which seemed to be in order; so, he started swapping out connecting wires for new ones. This didn't solve the problem. Then he brought out a new modem and installed it. Unfortunately, it was defective so he had to get out another one. This seemed to work OK but I had only TV, the phone and internet didn't work. He said he was going to leave me but that he thought everything would begin functioning as soon as an equipment failure in Mexico City could be sorted out.

Some four hours later the services did resume, but only after two more calls to Mexico City and spending an hour on the line with the technicians there.

This has been my most epic adventure with Cablemas to date, spanning three years and using up just about eight hours of my time in the last four days or so.

I still have only about 5-6 mbs, but I may just live with that for awhile....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice