What to do solo in Cancun - Quintana Roo

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by Lenni & Jodie, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Lenni & Jodie

Lenni & Jodie The Unicorn Hunters Registered Member

Ratings:
    +26 / 2
    Here at the moment solo and looking for something to do. Staying at a friends place in Quintana Roo which is about a 20 minute taxi ride to the hotel zone area. I am looking for ideas for something exciting or interesting to do for a day or two. Does not need to be cheap or free, but not complaining if it is either. Would love to here some ideas.

Going back home to Canada on March 14 - So I have some time to kill

Boobs Cruise... March 12th.... Booked

All ideas are greatly appreciated

Thanks
    Lenni

2. weeboy1

weeboy1 Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Take ferry to isla mujeres
    Rent car and drive to chichen itza nice safe drive and many sights along the way
    Or drive south to puerto Morelos and or playa del Carmen. Pm is nice and quaint but more to see and do in PDC. (Eat at alux its a high end restaurant built in a cave,very cool.
    Also Cozumel is close by ferry, akumal,xcaret .

3. Lenni & Jodie

Ratings:
    +26 / 2
    Sound great anyone else

4. ggzone

ggzone Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    playa del carmen is always fun to walk around and take in the sights. plenty of places to stop on the beach and have a cold one also.

5. CancunDentist

CancunDentist Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I suggest you go for 2 nights to Akumal, its a very beautiful beach, over there you can Scuba dive and there is a place very close from there called Yalku, its a natural open cenote where you can scuba as well, very nice place and highly recommended.

6. Lenni & Jodie

Ratings:
    +26 / 2
    Did Playa Del Carmen yesterday, great place to walk around and just shoot the breeze with other people on holidays too, very friendly neighborhood. Tons of shops for small purchases, tons of great little places with free wifi and drinks and food. The beach was beautiful, thanks everyone.

Anymore suggestions... deep sea fishing

7. turk870

turk870 Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +340 / 1
    flats fishing is great up there.we caught snook,barracuda,snapper,and hung some tarrpon.i think it was isla blanka where we went

8. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Isla Mujeres has been suggested. It represents an alternative experience, more strongly suggestive of Mexico as there are not so many businesses developed by foreigners as exist in Playa, nor is there as much new development.

Go to Gran Puerto and take the UltraMar ferry to Isla, 25 min. Walk left as you exit the ferry landing. Beautiful beach and view back to the city and Hotel Zone. Many locals enjoying the beach. Stop at Jackie's, on the opposite side of the street, near the end of this main street. Many visitors to the island to chat with and friendly owners: great bloody mary's.

From there, continue your walk in the same direction, walking along the beach to North Beach, the most popular beach with tourists. See Sunset Bar and Grill (100 meters along the beach), Ixchel Condos and an enormous palapa associated with Cabanas Maria del Mar Hotel (another 100 meters) where you can have another drink, chat with visitors, and enjoy a postcard view of Quintana Roo as it runs north to the Gulf of Mexico.

Stroll through the central district, where narrow streets and a few extant, wooden homes suggest the age of the community there. Make your way to the Caribbean side of the island where you will find waves crashing on ancient corals and a malecon (developed walk) running south all the way to the end of the island (7 KM or so); or, preferring to ride, hire a golf cart or motorbike and do a self-guided tour of the island (easily done in one hour, or two if you wish to make some stops along the way).

There's enough to see and do and the ambiance is more laidback than you'll find in Cancun and the Hotel Zone. Enjoy dinner at Olivia's Mediterranean Restaurant and hang at the bars and restaurants for the rest of the evening. Ferries run till around 11:30 PM. If you decide you're having fun, or don't want to return late, there's lots of accommodations for around $70/night, and less (to a minimum of about 350 pesos for a/c ensuite budget accommodations).

If you do decide to stay overnight, visit Ballyhoo Restaurant, not far from the ferry landing, but behind the Pemex station, so it's easy to overlook: it's built on piers and is a great place for breakfast.

9. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    1. Many visitors enjoy Xplore. You can get info at Entertainment Plus Cancun.

2. I am not familiar with V's recommendation of "Jackie's" if he means Jax Bar and Grill, it has been going downhill since December. Lots of staff left and everything is worse. Jax is more or less where V described for Jackie's, but more specifically, off the ferry, turn left, cross the street and when that street ends with a right turn, it is at that corner. There is a sad story to their decline but the sketchy details are not important here.

10. wallyworld

wallyworld Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice