WHAT should i look out for in mexico good/bad

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by aussie-guy, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Nuno

Nuno Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    cops are pretty picky about small stuff like sex on the beach and pissing in public

dont get thrown in jail for something stupid

2. Turpin

Turpin Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Is weed really a big deal ?...I enjoy my tokes not gonna lie...but I don't wanna ruin my trip over it..

3. Nuno

Nuno Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    i wouldn't buy from a street dealer but from what the news said everything is legal down there.

every cabbie will try to sell u coke, xtc, or weed.

last year someone was smoking weed on the balcony and the oasis security flipped out on everyone that was outside threatening everyone with bogus tickets

4. NicHamburg

NicHamburg Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    - Know you limits
    - Dont get drunk and then head for a swim
    - Watch out the waves, esp if you see the red flag. Undertow can be pretty nasty
    - Dont do drugs in public IF you need to do drugs anyway! Cancun alone is already drug enough.
    - Watch out for the traffic / if drunk watch out even more
    - Dont start a fight
    - Dont get involved in a fight
    - Ask the cabdriver for the price BEFORE you get in. / No needs for cabs anyways. BUSES RULE!
    - Watch you drinks / Dont let them be unattended
    - Leave all expensive and unneccesary stuff at home
    - For expensive stuff and large piles of money use the hotelsafe not the one on the room
    - Tip propperly / also the maid
    - Dont think money can buy you everything or gets you out of every trouble in Cancun
    - Dont fall asleep boozed up in the sun
    - Dont drink from the tap, only from bottles.
    - Dont dare to rent a car or even a scooter if you are not aware of mexican driving habbits! Again like the cabs, there is no need to.

5. ToriB

ToriB Cancuncare Sun Care Advisor Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    WHAT??? No, everything is ILLEGAL down here. Please don't come to Cancun thinking there are no rules. This is the reason so many workers here dread SB. Lighting up a joint in a taxi will send you and the driver right to jail. Be smart and don't do anything here you wouldn't do at home. And if you do crazy shit at home, wait til you are back there. Jail here is the last place you want to end up. And I have been living here for almost 1.5 years and I have yet to be offered anything. It's not really that common.... since it is ILLEGAL

6. Turpin

Turpin Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Growing up in B.C. weed doesn't seem like a big deal I guess, but I know it's still kinda heat down in Mexico...but am I really gonna get tossed in jail for sneakin a joint down on the beach, or havin a lil bag of weed on me if I were to get caught ?

7. ToriB

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Cops are not the kindest of ppl here. Corruption is what the government is all about. Would I personally take the risk, hell no. What you do is up to you, I just want you to be aware that jail is a definite possibility.... or paying them a bribe. SB is the perfect time for them to get some extra cash for that summer vacation they are planning.

8. NicHamburg

NicHamburg Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Simple answer is YES. either arrested or it takes shitloads of money to stay out of jail. not nice for a vacation, man.

9. hw711

hw711 Moderator/Dance Machine Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That's not correct. Mexico has decriminalized drug possession for personal use. Under the law, you can possess up to 5 grams of weed, half gram for cocaine, 50 milligrams of heroin, 40 milligrams for methamphetamine and 0.015 milligrams for LSD.

With that said, you are completely at your own risk. The police and the hotel security will harass you if they feel like it, no matter what the law says. You are a tourist, they are the local, you have money, they don't. Mexico is not as black and white as most western countries. You probably don't want to test your luck there.

Anyway, enough talk about drugs. Steve doesn't like it. If it continues, I'm going to lock down the thread.

10. ToriB

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I did read that when it was passed Aug of 09, BUT, I also talk to tourists everyday and hear stories since then of ppl being arrested... fights being started by the dealers to get more $ out of customers, and the customer ending up being charged with harassment. It sucks, but laws in a corrupted country mean nothing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice