what is Pozole day?

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by ruby, Jan 29, 2007.

1. ruby

ruby Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    someone said thursday was pozole day?
    waht does that mean?
    we arrive on wed..

thanks in advance.

2. CrazyCunuk

CrazyCunuk Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Pozole is basically meat cooked until it's 'falling off the bone' tender, served in a deep bowl covered with a rich, earthy, meat and hominy broth. It is served with an assortment of garnishes -- including chopped lettuce, oregano, cilantro, fresh limes, chopped onion, toasted pumpkin seeds and sliced radishes. So the diner actually finishes preparing the dish right at the table. If I were forced to pick one dish as the national dish of Mexico it would most certainly be 'pozole'. Thought to have originated in the Pacific coast state of Guerrero, this dish has spread to every corner of the country. It crosses all physical and socioeconomic borders. In many parts of Mexico Thursday is pozole day -- with virtually everyone in town eating this traditional dish. There is a pozole restaurant in almost every village in Mexico and since it is considered a hangover remedy many other restaurants serve it on Saturday and Sunday mornings. It is eaten traditionally at Christmas and New Years and is often served at wakes as a symbolic last meal for the recently departed. It is also very popular on St. Valentine's day because of its reputed aphrodisiac powers. For some reason, that I cannot fathom, pozole has failed to make it on to the menus of restaurants catering to tourists. My version includes short ribs of beef, beef shanks, pork shoulder, pork loin and breast of chicken. If you have never tried pozole you have never truly experienced the flavor of Mexico.

http://www.felixcabosanlucas.com/

3. Klaw

Klaw Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think it was T.J. who made that statement.

He was referring to the fact that a local restaurant he frequents has Pozole (which was descrbed to you above) as their special that day.

4. 212eric

212eric Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    When I hear Pozole day, I automatically think Thursday because that's when my friend's mother always makes it and the day I get to eat some.

212eric V.P.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice