What is needed by the Mexican people? (donation type items)

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by Resortman, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Resortman

Resortman Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It is a big time for Cancun travel so I thought I'd remind everyone to bring down some items for the people there. Every year I bring 1 suitcase full of t-shirts, hats, watches etc to share with them. Throw your ideas out there, especially the persons living there for ideas on what you see they need. I'm already packing/bought shirts, hats and am planning on bringing some nicer watches...lets help them out!

2. angels_among_us

angels_among_us Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I do that also. I also bring bath and body work items and leave it for the maids ON TOP of a tip( WITH A NOTE to management letting them know we have given them this item so they dont get in trouble. we add room number and names and tell them to contact us if they have a question)

3. Tinder

Tinder Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That is an excellent idea. We have some of these items that we have purchased at the "after Christmas sales" and should bring some!!

4. Resortman

Resortman Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    excellent! You would not believe the smile you get whne you hand someone something like a t-shirt or a pair of shoes...its priceless.

5. angels_among_us

angels_among_us Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes me 2. I am sort of addicted to bath and body works. LOL I have over 30 bottles of body wash and then the matching Lotion and sprays however I can't part with them! So I'll just buy more everytime it goes on sale and bring some LOL

6. angels_among_us

angels_among_us Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    remember if you give your maids ( or other worker's at the hotel) stuff you should also give them a letter stating it is a gift with your room number and name b/c they could get fired if management thinks they stole it! ( and I would also leave a $ tip along with whatever your leaving because even though they apperciate and love what your giving them it does not pay the bills)

Last time we went I preprinted notes with our names on them and just added room number once we got there.

7. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It's sweet that ya'll want to help, but keep in mind that T-shirts are 3 for $10 USD here. If you want to give a gift then give money.

If you want to help charity here then there are many good ones. The City of Joy Foundation can funnel your money in a good direction, they help battered women, people in hospice, the elderly, etc. Caritas and the Red Cross also do great work here fighting hunger and helping people get health care and proper shelter.

People here don't need t-shirts, they might need education and medical care, they might need a new roof on their shack. But t-shirts is just a present that shows that you have no idea what the real social problems are here.

City of Joy:
    http://www.cityofjoyfoundation.org/

Caritas Quintana Roo:
    http://www.caritasqr.org/

Red Cross International:
    http://www.icrc.org/

8. Resortman

Resortman Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Rivergirl, your response may be correct in some ways, but I damn well know 3 bucks doesn't come easy there (almost a days pay for some). I bring jerseys, backpacks, shoes, shirts (polos) novelty t-shirts, watches, money and hygiene type items for them. If you think these are not needed, ya best walk to the town. Knowing some citizens for years now, they live on a very tight budget. One of the richer guys I know can only drive to work twice a week because he cannot afford gas. So, how many can afford a new pair of shoes? I think you may not see the priceless faces, happy people and moments giving provides whether it be shoes or pencils...maybe it isn't the ideal gift, but a gift is a gift, remember that.

9. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I once felt bad because I had no shoes - until I met a man who had no feet.

10. davisod

davisod Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What if I want to give $5000 to help the children of Q.Roo, but insisted that the agency be a registered charity in Canada so as to claim it on my income tax here. Does such a thing, do u know, exist?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice