What have YOU had stolen when you were on vacation?

Discussion in 'Temptation Cancun' started by Tina, Mar 6, 2008.

1. djalbe

djalbe Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Good security locks

Hey all,

Nothing stolen yet, but we haven't used any locks on our bags over the last few years since we assumed security/TSA would just cut them anyway, as they once did. However, they do make TSA approved locks with a combination for you and a TSA keyhole for them. I plan on ordering 4, one for each checked bag. They also have a tamper notification on them. If the lock is tampered with OR opened by the TSA, an indicator will change from green to red (re-settable), so you'll KNOW someone went thru your bag. The TSA is suppose to leave notification inside your bag if they look thru it, so if your lock reads red without a TSA note, someone went thru your bag. That's when you should go to the airline baggage claim and file a report and look for missing items.

I wasn't aware they even made these until recently and think it offers great peace of mind. Apparently, the rooms at TTR don't have much in the way of drawer space so many of us live thru the suitcase all week. Nice to be able to securely lock your suitcase with this combo lock and not one of those old cheap amatuer locks (you know the ones). Check out this site or just google TSA luggage locks;

http://www.tamperseal.com/tsa-lugga....html?osCsid=7cc86255b95e04cd6cda278d77d830e1

By the way, how big are the in-room safes ? Any chance they'll fit a 15.4" widescreen laptop ? It's about 14" wide x 10" deep. Otherwise, it's getting locked up in the suitcase. And as Jamie recommended, ALWAYS use the safe to stash your passports, cash, tour vouchers, cams, teles, jewelry/watches, etc. It's definately a cheap price to pay to secure your valuables.

-DJ

2. Jamie

Jamie Mayor of Temptation Registered Member

Ratings:
    +1,168 / 5
    Laptops won't fit in the safes. They are about shoebox size.

Jamie

3. 4biddenpleasrs

4biddenpleasrs I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm not trying to say that any of you are wrong in thinking that staff may be involved but I'd just like to throw this one out there.

The first year we went to gether to BBG (Oct 2006) there was a Brit guy that thought his Ipod had been stole from his room. His buddies assured him that they didn't take it and he turned the room almost completely upside down looking for it.

He went to management and they interogated the maid, who had been the only other person going into the room. He was sure it was her and insisted that somethign be done. From what I understand she actually came very close to losing her job. But after a few hours it was actually found in between the sheets of the bed where he had it last.

Just something to think about.

4. atc

atc Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    wallet

We took a day trip over to the isle, bought 1 item, took out my wallet, paid for it and continued to window shop. Found some jewelry, went to pull my wallet back out for the second time and it was gone. :evil: Retraced our steps back to the original purchase point but to no avail. Had cash, license for the golf cart that we had already returned and a charge card. "There was nothing any one could do" we were told. We returned to the Ferry knowing that we would have to go online at the resort and report the credit card to the bank. Note to self, always travel with these numbers god forbid you have to report stolen cards !! Premier club was extremly helpful with this. Many thanks to them at Temptations. We wrote off the lost cash as our $106 hand crafted magnet, perhaps the locals would enjoy a nice night out at our expense.... This was Tuesday 2/12..............
    Wednesday 2/20 I get a letter that the post office wants me to come sign for something. In this little package at the postoffice is something from Arizona??? I almost decline as I know no one from Arizona and I hadn't ordered anything, but the woman at the counter and I are curious, what is the worst thing that could happen....

Well my wallet is in there with all my cash, the woman who returned it found it on the street on the isle WED 2/13. It laid on the street for 1 whole day!!! She went on to say in her letter that she was adviced by her hotel back at CanCun ~NOT ~ to turn it in to the police. She didn't even take out any cash to pay for the shipping of my wallet. It certainly restored our faith in the general public.

So to our friends who shared in our loss over cocktails that night, toast again to good fortune!!! It was great meeting all of you and can't wait to come back. Was going to post our pics, still might, but I will save the trip report as some of you covered it quite well already.

5. 1smokey

1smokey Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +19 / 0
    The wife and I are very security minded when we travel. I carry my wallet in front pocket, and we keep a close eye on our items and such. In September of 2007 we stayed at BBG. The wife forgot her “trademark” straw cowboy hat so she purchased one in the lobby store. The same day of the purchase, while at the sexy pool someone took her hat and towel from the chair that they were sitting on. We figure that one of two things happened. Someone either used the towel to conceal the hat when they stole it OR the day after a hard day of drinking at the pool someone woke up and was wondering how the heck they ended up with two hats and an extra towel!

Either way the cowboy hats are cheaper at the store across the street, so we purchased a second one from there.

Be safe, don’t make yourself a target, and bring expensive things to Mexico.

Cal

6. JosetteWisconsin

JosetteWisconsin Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My roommate and I were there the week of Hurricane Dean (Aug 07). One day we were napping and we heard someone entering our room.....which WAS locked. It freaked me out and I immediately got up and ran to the door to see who it was. It was a young male hotel staffer ..he ran as fast as he could and rounded a corner and was gone! Talk about PISSED! Considering we were IN THE ROOM. There was a couple of maids down the hall from our room and I asked them what happened and they pretended to not speak english or to know what I was asking...even though they had a very clear view of what happened. So Sketchy!! Thank god we were together at the time and nothing happened. I went to the desk immediately and inquired if there were tapes and if they could tell me who it was and what was going on OR if they were going to do anything about the situation. They did NOTHING.

We love the resort ...just really really really HATED that very unsettling experience.

7. funlover

funlover Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Okay - all those stories scare me. Is this place dangerous? I live in small town America - You know the kind where you leave your house for the day with your doors unlocked!!! Wow, I will have to reprogram myself!!!What happens when someone steals your drivers license and passport?

8. xoie's omah

xoie's omah Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    In three trips we have not had anything stolen, but we are cautious...lock patio and door, don't keep all of our cash together, keep our passports secured etc. My husband carries a copy of our passport picture page in his wallet and both of our DL also. The only jewelry I take is what I am wearing and maybe a couple pairs of inexpensive earrings...we keep camera on us most of the time etc. Maybe we have been lucky but I really don't think so. Only problem we have had was returning to the "secured" park and fly and finding someone had tried to hot wire our truck....but that cannot be blamed on the resort :D .

9. ffto

ffto Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Funlover,
    I don't think you have to worry. We have been there 5 times and never had any problems. Keep your stuff safe in the safe in your room and be careful. Don't be stupid, you know you can't fix that. HAHA
    Don :D

10. fbjr1

fbjr1 I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +35 / 0
    ditto,
    we have been to cancun 15 times and BBG/TTR 12 times. always better to be safe than sorry.
    just be vigilant and everything will be ok.
    never lost anything that we didnt leave somewhere by accident.
    my friend lost a camera that she left in a taxi. she laughed it off and said it was her own stupid fault. :D
    ditto to using the safe and keep the locks on your bags in the room. we use them for dirty clothes and such

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice