What happened to Telmex Internet speeds?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by CancunTom, May 14, 2012.

1. valgunn

valgunn Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Anyone have USATell (sp). They can do home internet service for us, how decent is the speed?

2. SamCancun

SamCancun Guru Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Mate, apparently if you have digital cable (the boxes) then you can change the language. However, nowdays that seems to be getting even harder on sky, like you can select english but it's not even offered in English, especially HD, such as National Geographic where the programs are originally English. Football is never in English apart from the odd game on Planeta Futbol but that's sky exclusive channels. I think WB movies are now all in Spanish, which is a complete crock of shit because they never used to be, most Mexican people i know hate watching dubbed movies anyway, it seems so fake someone talking over an actor that's really in the part, especially the laughing or the screaming! Considering following the advice randomly scribbled in English on the roundabout as i leave the VIPS near where you live.

Also, the 100mb internet, isn't that just Mexico City? I haven't seen cablemas here offering over 5 but i could well be wrong as things are changing all the time. Either way, no good for me as they STILL haven't installed Cablemas past the end of Corales!

3. SamCancun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    this is weird because it seems slow but when i download on torrents, i get up to 600kbs but this says otherwise, i have a 4/5mb package that costs a rip off 1000 pesos a month.

[​IMG]

4. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sam,
    This is Cablemas and i don't think I have anything but their basic internet. I have this plus cable with the Int'l Pkg, all for $595/mes.

[​IMG]

5. SamCancun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Is that with digital cable or the analog version? If i had the option of Cable where i live, i think i'd take it, with my phone and internet plus my sky package i pay 1700 pesos a month! Do you know if Cable offer HD channels?

My mother in law over in Lombardo Toledano has cable basic and she only gets 5mb but it seemed terribly slow in reality, I use a program called logmein.com to work but i couldn't use it on the cable connection at all, so frustratingly slow, yet i have 5mb here and it works fine, no lag at all most of the time.

6. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sam: We have the cheapest Telmex along with the cheapest SKY.

I use Utorrent almost on a daily basis, and I get speeds of up to 750kbs.

Moving to Centro, really pushed up the speed a LOT compared to SM4(Retorno Cielo).

Dont know if they have upgraded the wiring in Centro or something, but since the day we moved, the speed has been great, at least with downloa, ehrm... "buying" movies/series online.

7. SamCancun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you're in centro that's why, as Steve gets up to 20mb on the same package as me but that's not available or any news on when that will be available anywhere else soon! I get 600kb on utorrent at max. If Mexican sky could get up to date on series then there really would be no need to use torrent programs at all for me, well almost ;-)

8. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sam,
    Yes, Cablemas offers HD. Sorry but I don't know the cost as I don't subscribe to that service.

I probably should. Do you think it would make the Fox New ladies and the Mexican weather ladies look more hot than they already are?

9. SamCancun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Once you have HD (depending on the TV), it hurts to switch it back to standard sky, it's like watching a blurry mess, especially with sports, i swear they made Football on ESPN worse quality on SD so you pay for the HD! If it wasn't for HD having different programming (e.g. Sony was an hour ahead and the sports on ESPN are sometimes different, like HD will sadly have different football matches, bbc is different with HD being mostly documentaries and music, nat geo is all in Spanish and Discovery and History channels have different programming) then i'd never need to go below channel 1102!

So to answer your question, i'm sure it will! :icon_idea:

10. SamCancun

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    *** FAVOUR NEEDED ***

I didn't want to start a new topic as this is very much related but can anyone who has a Telcel connection of 10mb (think the packet is 600 pesos a month) or 20mb (1000 pesos a month) please do a speedtest and post it on here? So i can show Telcel and tell them why I don't want to pay 1000 pesos a month for what is less than 4mb?

Having some financial 'issues' and if i can get the 10mb here and move to the cheaper packet, i can have a better service than i got now for less. I know some people were getting very bad speeds though, even on the faster connections, is that still the case??

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice