What gets your goat?

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by V, Jan 30, 2010.

1. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Live here long enough, and something will start irritating you. Mine is the casualness with which addresses are treated. You know how it's supposed to be- SM, M, L, E, D, plus perhaps a street name, name of city, zip, and state.

I get bills from Telmex, Cablemas, Aguacan, and the CFE, among others. None of them has the same address on it. Some are really badly butchered, making you wonder how any mail ever gets to you. I've got one that even names the wrong street.

I just can't understand how the clerks who deal with opening accounts can get it so wrong, or not want to clarify the address they're entering on your account, if they don't get a complete one out of you.

Then, you get those who, when you complain say, "Sorry, can't change it once it's in the system."

Yesterday, I got around to finalizing the process of receiving a tax number which, although the process is begun online, is finalized in the tax office. I gave the clerk my FM3, the only document I have which correctly states my address (because, amazingly, at immigration they relied on what I told them instead of taking the address off one of my f****ed up bills). You think the clerk at the tax office used that address for my tax records??? NO, instead, he insisted on using the one from the utility bill I'd brought, even though it was obviously defective, containing only the SM and D, plus the street name (stated incorrectly), and I told him so, pointing out that the address on my FM3 was correct. He refused to pay any attention to it, or me.

Small thing, I suppose, but I just hate the disorder this represents; and, possibly, the lack of concern shown by those whose job it is to enter your address in your new account....

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  2. jayg

jayg Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    V, what does L, E, and D stand for in your post? A cougar got my neighbors goat, but that would be 2000 miles north of Cancun.

jayg

3. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Sorry to hear about your neighbor's goat!

"L" is for the lot number, "E" for the building number, and "D" for the apartment number, if it's an apartment you live in.

4. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    "Get your goat"

Anybody use this expression, anymore?

At least it's still widely understood.

5. ToriB

ToriB Cancuncare Sun Care Advisor Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I know the meaning, but can't say I hear it all that often, if ever. But what get's my goat is the importance of Gas, but having to sit around and wait for it is what has annoyed me the most so far. I ran out in the middle of cooking brownies the other day. Mind you, the top didn't cook, and it has the consitancy of the batter, which is great. But if this was chicken or beef...I would be REALLY pissed off.

6. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    Noise:
    - why is it necessary to ring the doorbell once every second?
    - why do people park outside others houses and lean on the horn to attract their attention, instead of ringing the doorbell (once)?
    - why are there at least 2 dogs, often more, yapping within earshot almost constantly?

Driving:
    - making a left hand turn in front of you from the right hand lane
    - cars pulling alongside you when waiting to turn left, blocking your vision and trying to get in your intended lane first
    - people sounding horns behind you the exact milisecond the traffic light changes to green
    - people who simply must park right next to the entrance (schools and supermarkets) even if it stops others getting past and causes danger to pedestrians

All of the above can probably be summed up with selfish and ignorant people.

7. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Looks like the longer you're here, the longer the list, Steve!

ToriB, my wife would gladly second your vote. She's got caught out twice, so far, while in the middle of major cooking project (our rooftop tank has no gauge, so we have to estimate where we are in consumption).

[For any who don't live here, many homes in Cancun use propane, or some such, which is delivered by truck and pumped into your rooftop tank; or, you have smaller bottles of gas, in your home, which must be replaced when they run out. For those who've lived all their life with natural gas piped into their homes, this is a bit of a jar.]

8. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Where do I start..? :ranting1: Hahahaha.

I can only second what Steve wrote about car horns.

Here in our street its almost "law" that you,

A: Lean on the horn for at least 5 mins....

B: Scream the persons name obnoxiously loud ("MAAAAARIIIIIIIAAAAAAA!!!!")

C: Horn for another 2-3 minutes...

D: Finally use your mobile.

E: Best times to do this? 2AM - 5 AM, especially weekdays...

F: Bonus: Play horrible Banda as loud as possible - because "everyone LOVES it!".

Ineffective and stupid "professionals" is another thing that makes me boil...

Littering is another thing...

Mistreatment of animals, wildlife an environment(yes, Im a "nature-nut :)) is probably what pisses me off the most.

There is NO excuse for it but it just doesnt end.

Then we have the "regular" stuff such as corruption etc.

Good thing the beer is cheap and the weather is sweet :)

9. V

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Rawkus said,
    That's right, Rawkus, gotta keep things in perspective around here!!

10. ToriB

ToriB Cancuncare Sun Care Advisor Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The thought of leaving the neighborhood I am in now seems like a bad idea. It is super quiet. The occasional Dog Social Gathering at 3 or 4 am, but not horns, no littering, no loud music..I feel very fortunate. I feel so sheltered.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice