What do I need FMT, FM 2, FM 3 ????????????

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Caribbean_Expat, Jul 27, 2008.

1. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Iowa: Yes, met with Maurico as late as yesterday. Hes helping me check what the h*ll is up this time, haha. :D

2. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Rawkus - You should have hired me. I work for beer and/or wine and I bet Mauricio will have trouble breaking my 9 day record from application to FM2 in hand.

I just spoke to V as he is walking in the door at INM to submit his FM2 renewal application. He may have it in only 8 as he really knows how to work within the system and giving them the required info and docs the first time in the door.

Good luck.

3. rawkus

rawkus I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    TJ: Haha :)

I submitted mine on the 6th of October.

Ill let you guess if anything at all has happened since....

4. rockbottom

rockbottom Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    hy all, hope your lifestyle is happy in cancun area. my question is somewhat off topic as i got into difficulty before taking a job in the bahamas. this time i want to buy/start a business in mexico and was wondering if a mexican national had to have controlling interest {as is the case in many carribean countries} or if in mexico i can legally own 100% and run as owner/operator providing i employ 1-? mexican nationals? any links to english websites i can study would be appreciated. thanks

5. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    No as to Mexican nationals having to own controlling interest.

Yes, you can effectively legally own 100% as owner operator. There must be two shareholders and their shares are specified in the corp docs. Neither have to be Mexican so it can be 50/50 with a relative or even 99/1. The original docs need to be signed by all shareholders and the signatures must be notarized by a Mexican Notario. If you are near an area where there is a Mexican Consulate or Embassy this can be accomplished without everyone making a trip to Mexico.

No, I do not believe you have to employ anyone, but if you do need employees, if a Mexican can and will do the job, you must hire a Mexican. If your job description cannot be met by a Mexican (like maybe you need a brain surgeon, or someone who reads and writes Punjabi) then you can hire whomever you want that can meet your requirements.

Sorry I cannot refer you to English websites about these requirements. But you can get a lot of info from various forums around Mexico.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  6. T.J.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey Rockbottom,

I need to make a slight correction to my January post. There are certain businesses where a Mexican must be a shareholder. For a transportation business, it must be 100% Mexican owned. For a fishing business, it must be not less than 51% Mexican owned and not more than 49%. I just learned that last week. There may be other such rules for specific businesses where the gov't has decided that foreignors cannot totally control a company.

7. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    That's right, T.J., these are the industries protected under the terms of NAFTA
    To see the complete list of protected industries you can go to- SICE: Trade Agreements: North American Free Trade Agreement

This is a piece of information that is oft repeated, I think in part because it sounds so much like immigration law for H1 visas in the U.S., but I don't believe it's an accurate statement of Mexican Law, and I'm living proof, being non Mexican but holding a job at a state university that could be performed by thousands of Mexicans around the country.

The rule as I understand it is that, so long as you employ less than 10% of foreign staff you can freely hire foreigners to fill local jobs.

Given the expense and trouble involved in getting documentation for foreign workers (even though there is no prohibition, beyond what I spoke of), you will not find employers giving positions to foreigners that locals can do, and will do for less money. Those employers with more specific requirements, better met by foreigners, will naturally consider them for employment; and, I believe that, with justification, the 10% limit can be waived, as well, so that in some industries you can find more than 10% foreigners in the positions.

(On this, as on most other things relating to the law, anyone who thinks this is not accurate can post the contrary Mexican Law, and should do so, to dispel any misconception I may have on this subject.)

8. jarrad777

jarrad777 Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you are interested in living in Mexico, and wish to have official permission to do so, one of the ways to do this is with an FM3 Visitante Rentista. Rentista means wealthy, but in practice that just means you have financial resources sufficient to live in Mexico, without working, for a period of one year.

The resources required may be in the form of an income stream from abroad, or cash in the bank from which you can draw; and, if based on an income stream, then the equivalent of $13,250 pesos per month. If based on money in the bank, there is no clear guidance on this in the law, but a sum the equivalent of 15 times $13,250 pesos should suffice, as it would be more than the total of 12 months of the required income stream. (The law also states that you only need half these sums, if you own your own residence, in Mexico.) If relying on money on deposit in the bank, more is better, up to a point, so no doubt is left about your ability to support yourself for one year.

The amounts mentioned above are for one person; but, a married couple, applying together, may not need the equivalent of 2X the above sums, but should have significantly more than that required for one.

If you intend to rely on an income stream, then it must be reflected as a regular deposit to your bank account in your monthly statements.

As with anything, knowing what you'll need, and preparing ahead of time may make the difference between success and failure. Now, as to what you'll need to have, in order to apply.

a) the original, and a copy, of the application, itself;
    b) your passport, and a copy of each and every page of it, whether blank, or not;
    c) the original, and a copy of the document given you when you entered Mexico: for many of you this will be an FMT;
    d) a letter in Spanish, signed by yourself and addressed to the National Institute of Migration, in which you request a change of your status in the country to that of non-immigrant, Visitante Rentista, to live in Mexico at your own expense, relying on resources from outside the country;
    e) the last three monthly statements (originals) from a bank account standing in your name, which either reflect the required income stream, or the balance on deposit, if you're relying on a sum on deposit, rather than an income stream (you will have brought these bank statements with you when you entered Mexico, so you are ready to begin this process), and a copy of each statement;
    f) official translations of the three bank statements (easily obtained in Cancun, after you arrive), and copy of each translation;
    g) proof that you've paid the initial fee required of you with the application, consisting of the receipt you will be given when you pay the required fee at any bank in Mexico, and three copies of same;
    h) proof of your actual residence in Mexico, which can be a paid utility bill, bearing your actual address, for a utility service which is billed in your name; or, if the utility account is in the name of another, then, in addition to the bill and a copy of it- a letter from that person, 1) signed under a declaration they are telling the truth; which 2) shows the address of the property; and, 3) names you as living there, with 4) the date on which you began living there- together with a copy of their personal identification; and, a copy of each and every one of these.

These documents, submitted to the Immigration Offices, are sufficient to start the process of review. In Cancun, you may be told to come back in one week, at which time you will be told if your application has been approved. If approved, you will be given a date and time to return, and a new set of instructions to follow. You will be asked to pay an additional sum at a bank; and to have photos made of you which follow certain guidelines, both front and side views.

John A.
    CozumelCruiseExcursions.NET

9. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    The information posted by John is now, of course, largely out of date owing to changes in the law since then; however, it's still an honor to have something I'd written several years ago copied and pasted, as this was.

10. LZAM09

LZAM09 Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    chihuahua

does any know what i might need i do not have a passport and can not get one, me and my husband which is a national of mexico, we have been married for twenty years, how do i get this fmt or fmm to live in mexico, i go across the border for medical to the states for chemo, please help do not know where to start

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice