What do I need FMT, FM 2, FM 3 ????????????

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Caribbean_Expat, Jul 27, 2008.

1. kathy_caribe

kathy_caribe Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Actually, if I could afford the $3000 x 6 that it would cost for a lawyer (hubbie, myself and 4 kids) I'd TOTALLY do that. That said I would have to take a number of days off work to equal the price we'd pay to a lawyer, PLUS the INM fees.

here in Playa the situation is the reverse; VERY few ex-pats and almost all lawyers. They sure do tie up the clerks, but seem limited to the number of apps they can run at one time as I'll see them there all day, getting a round of numbers. So, we're all in tramite and requested:

For me (prroroga no2) the usual (bank, domicilio, request letter, passport photos, FM3 photos) and were very happy to see I'd put my CURP on the form.

For the kids, (first FM3) they wanted a CURP. Now go figure on that because here in Playa (maybe it is different in Cancun) you can't get a CURP without an FM3 so total Catch-22 there. Two agents disagreed whether I really needed birth certs for the kids, so I wasn't going to go through the trouble of an apositle and translation and will wait to see what they say about that. Letter from kid (2nd agent said I didn't need that but we did it anyway) and letter from me. Domicilio, bank, passport and payment. They won't even review the documents without the first payment. (different from when I did it). AND, Playa (and maybe CUN) has gone ONLINE! Now, instead of coming back "in 2 weeks" and told to go back home because they're not ready, you can CHECK THE STATUS ONLINE!!!! WooHoo!!!

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  2. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Kathy, we've got at least one poster to this forum who has said she's handled her own applications for the last 23 years: this year may make 24! There may be some others who've been doing it even longer.

My impression of the changes is that they are meant to simplify, rather than complicate the procedure, but by just how much, remains to be seen.

Last edited: May 22, 2010
  3. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yay, just got an email from Mauricio that my renewal was approved. He also said they WILL be giving me the new card so that means new photos, different this time around. Here's a quote from the email...

"They also informed me that they'll issue the new FM2 card, this implieas that you need to take some photographs, with the following description;
    - 3 front and 2 from right side
    - Size "Infantil" color, no instant photos.
    - You cannot wear earing or necklaces on the photo."

And that's that. Two weeks from submitting papers to receiving the approval. I have an appt next week to go into INM with the new photos, so three weeks in total it seems, unless they don't give me the card right away. I am pleased!

4. kathy_caribe

kathy_caribe Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    That is a great response. Mine is still en tramite, but Jamie's and the kids' have been "classified" (whatever that means) but at least theirs show that something has happened on them. Mine is still "assigned".

5. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Phew, done for another year. Got the new card today, yay, no more falling apart book! Had an appt at 1:00, but apparently appointments don't mean much, was there for two hours. They asked me to check that all the info was correct, when I pointed out that they had spelled my street name wrong they said they couldn't change it (so what's the point of checking?). Anywho, the card is in my hot little hands (with blue tinted thumbs from giving up the fingerprints). Huge thanks to Mauricio who once again came through in a professional, timely and friendly manner.

One more renewal and I can apply for citizenship!

6. Mellow_in_Puerto Morelos

Mellow_in_Puerto Morelos Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    A nice change at least in the Playa office is no longer the need to translate bank statements or prove address and no bank statement required at all for renewals. (FM3s)

7. playagrandma

playagrandma Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    fm3 renewal

Frank how recent is this because as of last week, all the above was once again required in Playa. Man it would be great if they could get their act together one way or the other.

8. tokolosie

tokolosie Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It should be that easy, did not need anything more than photo's, form filled out, cash/fee payable and finger print to renew my FM3 lucrative in another part of Mexico around the 2nd week in Aug 2011.
    It should be the same in Playa office as well.

Can anyone tell me if you still need to do the equivalent of a USA "letter of parole" when you exit Mexico stating how long you would be outside Mexico ?

9. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    The situation is uncomplicated and you don't need anyone's permission so long as you are not planning to leave while a renewal is in process and- provided you return before the FM3 expires- you can stay gone as long as you wish.

10. Iowa!

Iowa! Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Does anyone know if Mauricio is still performing this service? I am moving to Cancun in a week and would like to hire someone to walk me through the process of applying for an FM-3.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice