What do I need FMT, FM 2, FM 3 ????????????

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Caribbean_Expat, Jul 27, 2008.

1. ToriB

ToriB Cancuncare Sun Care Advisor Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    RG....that is information I have yet to read...and kind of wish I didn't have to wait til January to indulge more into the Familiar status. Especially since I will have to leave in July and again before January to get more FMT time....unless by some miracle, I find a job that isn't gonna make me sell my soul to the devil.

Thanks again for clarifying. Oh and the only reason I lumped the Retirees as the Rentistas is because there is to be an outside income, like Social Security, or sufficiant funds in the bank. I know there are a bunch that work for themselves or a US based Co, but none that I have met personally, in the age group I mentioned....with the exception of Coby.

2. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Tori - When you get an FM2 or an FM3 it lists your approved activities, it says where you can work, if you can work, etc. When you have Familiar status is says something about being able to work anywhere so long as you notify them.

What I am not 100% clear on, is whether when you are Familiar status your employer still has to maintain the ratio of Mexicans to foreigners that they have to maintain when you get an FM3 based on your employer sponsoring you. I think that the employer does not have to uphold that ratio if you have Familiar status, which is great because it literally means you can work anywhere, at a business of any size, if you have Familiar status.

Since my work is all from the US and Canada I haven't worried about any of this personally.

3. ToriB

ToriB Cancuncare Sun Care Advisor Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, RG, that is some positive news, even if not true. I guess when the time gets close, I will contact Mauricio, and look into the specifics. I am nominating you to be my Immigration know it all, (I know, lucky you), and then next, (NOT THIS YEAR), I will illicit the help of Cancun Canuck about raising a bilingual child. Ya'll will be sick of me!!!!!

4. pocodinero

pocodinero Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Any idea on the cost of using the services of a lawyer to get an fm2 or fm3?

5. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Attorney's fees

The cost will depend on the lawyer, and the services you want included: the least I've heard of is 3,000 pesos for an uncomplicated application. I've heard of fees as high as 7,000 pesos. Official fees not included. No substitute for talking with the lawyer concerned on this question.

6. pocodinero

pocodinero Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Can anyone reccommend an Immigration Lawyer?

7. CancunMole

CancunMole Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    From one of RG's previous posts:

There's an attorney in Cancun who does only immigration and citizenship work. He was a subdelegado in immigration for 6 years. He's very good, he knows exactly how they apply the law here. His name is Mauricio Mendoza.

maurris [at] hotmail.com
    maurris [at] yahoo.com
    998-159-1599 - Mobile
    884-0003 - Home

My husband and I have used his services for our last two renewals. We can't say enough good about him...he is wonderful!

8. kathy_caribe

kathy_caribe Addict Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
  9. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm "en tramite" for my second renewal of the FM2 as well. Met with Mauricio last night (no way was I doing this on my own, this year especially). He laughed as he talked about the changes at INM, and being the nice guy he is, he refrained from using nasty words to describe the situation. He hemmed and hawed and finally said "Pues.......es un poco chaotico". I said "es un desmadre". :)

He doesn't think they are prepared to do the new cards yet, they are still giving out the old booklets, but of course, we may find next week that I will have to go for new photos (the photos are different now for the new cards, they'll be colour and "infantil"). He guessed that we might hear back from them in about ten days, less time than we've experienced in the past. (Knocking on wood).

Here's what I had to provide for the renewal (my FM2 is for working in Mexico, not "rentista")....

-Copy of all pages of FM2
    -Copy of all pages of passport
    -Expediente basico from my employers
    -Copy of the ID of the person who signed the expediente basico
    -Letter from my employers stating my position and salary
    -Comprobante de domicilio (in Hubby's name since nothing is in my name)
    -Copy of Hubby's ID (to support the comprobante)
    -Letter from Hubby saying I live at the address on the comprobante
    -Signed application form (from website)
    -Letter from me stating my intentions to renew my FM2 (written by Mauricio, I didn't read it so I hope he kept my intentions good)

Cost to renew the FM2 is $2,801 and Mauricio's fee is $3000 (those are pesos of course). Mauricio is worth every centavo.

10. V

V I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Thanks, CC

Thanks, Cancuncanuck, for the rundown on what you had to produce, this time round.

And, she's right, Mauricio Mendoza, often mentioned here, is very professional, not at all expensive as lawyers go, and can take all the hardships out of the process for you. Nevertheless, some, such as Kathy, above, still prefer to do it themselves.

Kathy, I think a significant minority of those who post here, also do their own applications: it's set up, after all, for "do-it-yourselfers", with English speaking staff there at INM whose main job it is to answer questions, and direct traffic. When I'm in there the number who are doing their own seem to outnumber the ones with lawyers many fold, making this a place to get acquainted with expats you might not ever have contact with, otherwise. (Of course, there are visa agents, as well, who come in there with stacks of 8-10 at a time, and this can skew the impression you get, as well as the numbers.)

As you know, to do it yourself, you've got to have quite a lot of flexible time- in order to make the four-five trips the process may require. Many find the convenience of having someone do it for them worth the money; but, there are others, like me, who just enjoy doing it themselves. It sounds like you may be in the same category.

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice