What do I need FMT, FM 2, FM 3 ????????????

Discussion in 'Living in Cancun' started by Caribbean_Expat, Jul 27, 2008.

1. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Good point Eddie, It's been ages since I crossed via a land border. And you are right, when I did they certainly did not scan my passport.

2. Caribbean_Expat

Caribbean_Expat Enthusiast Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    well for me, when I said move i meant temporarily, I want to live in Cancun for a year or so and thats about it, then move somewhere else. I understand all the fm2, fm3 things now.

But im still not clear on how crossing a land border and coming back works. Can you cross a border and come back the next day? Or do you have to wait a predetermined amount of time?

3. Isla Zina

Isla Zina Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    When you get here, you will see. There are almost daily 24 hours excursions to Belize for $20US that over 24 to 36 hours or so will satisfy your visa needs

4. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The immigration agents on both sides of the Mexico-Belize border are on to foreigners who go down there and just spend 24 hours and come back in to get a new FM-T.

I've heard many reports of them telling foreigners that they can't just go to Belize and come back in 24 or 36 hours, unless they pay a bribe. I don't know that there's actually a rule, I think it might be legal to walk across the border and then come back in one hour, but the agents there will have you believe that it is not legal to do that. From all reports they just want an excuse to get you to give them a bribe.

On the other hand it's not legal to live in Mexico on an FM-T. So if an agent believes that is what you are doing you can end up in hot water.

The reality is that if you put yourself in a position where you need to jump around to get a new FM-T like that then you should get yourself together and get an FM-3. No one should play games with their legal status in Mexico because it's not a game. If you screw up with INM they can ban you from the country for 10 years. And you don't want me to repeat the horror stories I've heard from people who've ended up in the Immigration lock-up, it's not a place you want to go, trust me.

Instead of playing border-hopping games just get an FM-3 and you can relax.

5. Isla Zina

Isla Zina Regular Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Rivergirl is right, of course. There are people on the island living like this though. Not that I approve

6. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Personally I don't care if anyone is illegal, in fact I don't really believe in borders. Migration is a normal, natural thing that humans have done since before we could walk on two legs. All this crap about needing permission to live somewhere goes against what is natural and right for people.

But I hear first hand accounts everyday of people who are just like us but who end of making one mistake with INM and the next thing they know they are in lock-up for 3 months and can't even call their family to tell them they are safe. It's an ugly business and the only way to make sure you are really safe is to do what it takes to get an FM3 or an FM2.

7. Steve

Steve Administrator Owner

Ratings:
    +7,194 / 14
    I agree, but let's face it, it aint gonna happen.

What pisses me off to some extent is all the hoops those who go the legal route have to jump through, time that could have been spent doing better things, plus the not insignificant extra expense. While those here illegally miss out on all that good stuff.

I guess though, there are always those in life who will do things right and those who don't give a shit. Too bad if they get deported.

8. heatandsun

heatandsun Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Another "Thumbs Up" for Mauricio

I met with Mauricio this afternoon, to start the FM3 process. He was thorough and took the time to explain everything to me.

Thanks to those on this board for making the recommendation, it makes an intimidating process seem doable.

Sue

http://dentrodeljardin.blogspot.com/

9. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I agree Steve, it doesn't seem fair that it's this much work and expense to live here legally.

10. Dan-0

Dan-0 Newbie Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Rivergirl, thanks for the info, it's very helpful. I wonder if I might get your input on my situation. I'm a U.S. citizen married to a Mexican citizen. Both of our children have dual citizenship. Our primary residence is here in the U.S. but we spend 2-3 months a year at a house we have in Chetumal. The house is in my wife's name. For the last few years, I've stayed in Mexico with an FMT, because I haven't considered it worth the trouble to apply for an FM2 or FM3. But, since I plan to retire to Mexico in about 10 years, I would like to apply for an FM2 so that I can eventually apply for citizenship by the time I'm ready to retire. What do you think, would this be the way to go? I plan on applying at the Mexican Consulate in Atlanta. They're much more helpful than Mexican Immigration in Chetumal, who, in the past, have basically told me unless I could prove permanent residence and held a job in Mexico they could do nothing for me.

BTW, your Blog is great, thanks!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice