what are the best places to eat downtown? (good local stuff)

Discussion in 'Cancun Forum' started by ruby, Jan 27, 2007.

1. Klaw

Klaw Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    In case anyone's interested in trying to make Panuchos here's a recipe I was given by Dany's sister:

Make 12 tortillas
    2 cups masa harina
    1 1/3 cup water
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    3/4 cup refried black beans
    12 Hard boiled egg slices
    Shredded chicken
    Shredded lettuce
    Fresh salsa
    Fresh avocado, sliced
    diced onions
    Oil for frying

Combine the masa harina, water and salt in mixing bowl. Stir until smooth. The dough should be sticky and form a ball when pressed together.

Form a ball with your hand and press down. If the edges crack, add a bit more water to the dough (a tablespoon at a time) until the dough no longer cracks.

Made tortillas about 4 inches round and a little thicker than normal. Cook tortillas on dry griddle or heavy cast iron skillet over medium high heat about 30-45 seconds on each side. Press the tip of each tortilla with your fingertips to make it puff. Place the hot tortillas on a towel to cool.

When cool enough to handle, cut a 1 1/2 inch slit about 1/4 inch from the edge in each tortilla to make a pocket. Be careful not to cut all the way through the tortilla. Stuff about about 1 tablespoon of the refried beans in the pocket. Stick a egg slice in the pocket covering it with the beans. (some people skip this step and omit the refried beans entirely or add it along with the egg slices on top of the tortilla)

Flatten to seal and spread the beans evenly inside the tortilla. Place tortillas on plate and cover with barely damp cloth to keep from drying out.

Heat 3 tablespoon oil in a large skillet (cast iron works well) over high heat. Fry the tortillas in the oil, two or three at a time, until they a little crisp, but still pliable. Add more oil as needed while frying. Drain on paper towels and keep in warm in 200F oven.

Heat the chicken in a small pan over low heat.

Remove the Panuchos from the oven and top each with a scant tablespoon of salsa. Sprinkle on the chicken and lettuce and top with a avocado slicen and the onions.

If you can get thick store bought tortillas, you can re-heat them on a hot griddle to puff them. If you cannot make them puff, fry the tortillas and spread the black beans and egg slices on after frying.

2. gbchayctca

gbchayctca Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My favorite panuchos in Cancun are in Parque las Palapas. Any other good places? I used to like Emaro, but they just keep getting more and more expensive.

If there are no beans put into the tortilla, they're called salbutes.

3. CancunCanuck

CancunCanuck Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    And what makes it a "sope"?

I still get all my "tortilla, meat and stuff" dishes mixed up, though I am getting better. Panuchos, salbutes, huaraches, gringos, tacos (canasta, guisado), empanadas, gorditas, the list goes on........pretty much all of them "tortilla, meat and stuff". :D

4. gbchayctca

gbchayctca Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I could be wrong, but a sope is like a huarache, except smaller. The masa is thicker than the others made with tortillas.

I also get confused between a couple of them, especially those not native to Yucatan...everything made with some corn based shell and some variation on meat, veggies, and toppings. Don't forget gringas and flautas!

5. Klaw

Klaw Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I just finished dinner but reading this thread has made me hungry again!!!

6. ibizasue

ibizasue I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +30 / 0
    hungry

KAREN !!!!! i am always hungary :-o but i hope you gonna take me to them all in feb xxxx I LOVE PERICHOS for the atmosphere, i think the food is good always have too many margaritas to remember...

7. Klaw

Klaw Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Re: hungry

It's a deal!!!

8. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Food and Klaw and Jay Hubert

1. I cannot get enough of Super Carne. Even tho they just went up 6 pesos on their arrachera special, it is still a bargain at $7.60 US ($83 pesos). You get a huge serving of arrachera, choice of baked potato or grilled onion, a soft drink or agua de fresca and all the trimmings to make almost a dozen soft tacos. They are on Coba next to Blockbuster, which is next to Office Max, just past Palenque if you are coming from the Hotel Zone. And I think they are open till 11 pm.

2. There is an item like Panuchos, called Salbutes, which I personally like better. I love to get them at this little place at Mercado 23 in the food area. If the food concessions are on your left, it is the place just before there is a walkway running off to the left back to the parking lot. They type I love is called Rellano Negro. Yummy. Dirt cheap. These things all are loaded with grease but who cares if you are on vacation. Hey, some of us are not on vacation. I think this is what Zocor and Lipitor are for.

3. Jay, if you tell us what kind of food you like, I bet we could give you some REALLY GREAT info.

4. La Placita is a long time favorite of mine because in addition to grea food and service, you hardly ever see tourists there, unlike (great) places like La Parilla, which draw a lot of tourists.

5. There is a place that I love to go to for Pozole, a bountiful Mexican stew. It is called Pozoleria de Castillo. It is far off the beaten path. but easy to get to with a bus to downtown and a taxi ride from there. Details or directions if you want them. Don't forget - Thursday is Pozole Day.

9. RiverGirl

RiverGirl Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I think sopes are usually round and huaraches are sandal shaped or oblong.

Some good restaurants:
    Emara (Yucatecan food, 2 locations)
    El Pocito (better Yucatecan food)
    Tacos Rigo (good tacos, open late, often packed with drunks at 1 am)

10. T.J.

T.J. I can choose my own title Registered Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    RiverGirl

K,

I will meet you at Tacos Rigo tonight at 1:00 am.

T.J.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice